This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Space

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
This thread was started in light of all the space/astronomy-related news that has been coming out recently.

The oven on Phoenix may short out at any time. This is bad, especially for a mission that has been flawless up until now.

Water detected in Mercury's atmosphere. This is amazing.

Comments

• The moon has some water too. If this is confirmed, it raises some interesting questions about the Moon's early life. The original paper can be found here, but you need to pay for it.
  • Is it true that mars does not have much carbon in it's soil?
  • I don't know anything about how much carbon Mars has. It's all iron oxide, or rust. I'll investigate.
  • I would have expected this thread to have more posts.
  • The moon has some water too. If this is confirmed, it raises some interesting questions about the Moon's early life. The original paper can befound here, but you need to pay for it.
    Wasn't there a theory on how earth got it's water? That being there being two planets and then colliding? the 2nd one became our moon. I got this of discovery channel, so...
  • There was a press conference about the Phoenix lander. It got some ice into the oven, which was good, because it had gotten stuck in the scoop. Also, they have enough power to go on for longer than they initially expected.
  • ... the final frontier
    These are the voyages of the Starship, Frontrowcrew
    Its 5.296 year mission
    To explore strange new geekeries
    To seek out new technology and new media
    To prattle on about what no man has prattled about before...
  • Space X becomes the first private company to launch a liquid-fuel rocket into orbit. This is awesome for many reasons. Fourth time's the charm, apparently.
  • We have the first images of planets in other star systems. Think about that. We took a picture of a planet orbiting another star. Science kicks ass.
  • ... the final frontier
    These are the voyages of the Starship, Frontrowcrew
    Its 5.296 year mission
    To explore strange new geekeries
    To seek out new technology and new media
    To prattle on about what no man has prattled about before...
    I was waiting for someone to make a joke along these lines.
  • edited November 2008
    I immediately thought of elevators when I read the thread title.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • edited October 2014
    SpaceShipTwo crashed. Looks like one pilot died :(
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Gravity waves, they're real. General relativity was right again. One ticket to Stockholm, please.