This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Clerks

edited July 2008 in Movies
Must see geek culture movie. Deserves it's own thread. I finally saw it recently after having heard about it for years, and I loved it.

Comments

• I saw it recently after not having seen it since high school, and it doesn't hold up. The jokes are not as funny as I remember, and the acting is almost unwatchably bad.
  • I saw it recently after not having seen it since high school, and it doesn't hold up. The jokes are not as funny as I remember, and the acting is almost unwatchably bad.
    I wouldn't say the acting was bad, but you can definitely tell that it was just a bunch of friends, not taking it too seriously. It doesn't work extremely well as the comedy it's marketed as, but it holds it's own as a drama with comedic elements, a bit like Little Miss Sunshine. I know a lot of people who went into that expecting Steve Carell's silly humor, and were very disappointed by the serious nature of it. I went into both Clerks and Little Miss Sunshine not expecting a laugh riot, and I think it was better for that.
  • There is already a Kevin Smith movie thread. Please run a search for your topic before you make a new thread.
  • edited July 2008
    Please run a search for your topic before you make a new thread.
    I did. There wasn't a Clerks thread. If I search before making a thread, I search based on the topic, and nothing broader.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Kevin Smith Movies thread - it discusses both the clerk movies.
  • Kevin Smith Movies thread- it discusses both the clerk movies.
    Please run a search for your topic before you make a new thread.
    Clerks
    If I search before making a thread, I search based on the topic, and nothing broader.
  • I wouldn't say the acting was bad, but you can definitely tell that it was just a bunch of friends, not taking it too seriously.
    I'm really curious to see what you would say is bad acting.

I was a little harsh on Clerks in my first post. It's really not bad (aside from the acting). I was just disappointed last time I saw it, because it wasn't nearly as good as I remembered.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm really curious to see what you would say is bad acting.
    Saw. And it's not that the acting is good or anything, but I can forgive it because it's an indie movie.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited July 2008
    Clerks was actually one of the last Kevin Smith movies I saw, so I suppose I was a bit spoiled. I loved the dialogue (Star Wars contractor scene ftw), but altogether, it's no Dogma.

Still, I work a part time job at a place in Jersey where there are occasionally very Clerksy moments. (Some intentional, some not)
    Post edited by Schnevets on