This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

3D glasses, everything=3d?

edited June 2006 in Technology
I once got a pair of really odd 3D glasses in the mail which could make anything seem 3D. They had seemingly clear lenses (flimsy plastic too). What they did was make certain colors appear to be at different depths, reds were much closer than blues and etc. I looked up on google images (at the time) and looked at some cool photos meant for my type of 3d glasses. I have googled and wikied around to try to find these same glasses (and then order a pair off ebay) but I can not find what they are called. I think the name is similar to "stereoscopic" but that's just an obscure memory.

I hope somebody can help me figure this out. Thanks.

Comments

• Wait.... If the glasses make "anything" seem 3D why were the images you were looking at "meant for [your] type of 3d glasses"?

In any case the good old cyan / red glasses are called anaglyph glasses. There are a few different types in this category. Most of the differentiation has to do with changing the way our eyes see red filtered light.

There are variations of another type called polarized. Named so becaue they are polarized. There are linear and circular polarized 3d glasses depending on how the media you are viewing is filmed. These are usually the ones they give you on big screen Imax shows and "rides" like the cheesy Star Trek thing in Vegas.

There are also some called Pulfrich lenses which are a dark / light combo much in the same way as the red / cyan.

But what you are talking about is the Croma-depth lenses. Also known as C3D glasses they work by doing exactly as you say. They "pull" the red closer and "place" the other colors "behind" red relative to the position in the spectrum of visisble light.
    Regular C3D lenses are good for printed media while the "high def" ones are best for monitors and tv screens.

So, there you go.
  • PS:

Stereoscopic images are big clunky afairs that necessitate two pictures taken slightly off from each other and a big viewer with prisms to combine the two back into your one field of vision.

Stereograms are those seemingly gibberish pictures that were such a big deal back in the '90s were you have to "cross your eyes" (it's more complicated than that...) to make the gobbledygook suddenly merge into an image that appears to be 3d much in the way stereoscopes do but without the need for the viewer. Unfortunately they are, by necessity, filled with all the other noise around the signal.
  • Isn't the world naturally 3d anyway?
  • Yeah ChromaDepth seems to be the right thing. Thanks Nazhuret.

And yes tuttle, the world IS 3D. Although some might thing it's flat. Good read.
  • That's a pity I thought I had super powers.
  • The world is in 3D? O rly?
  • Ya rly!