This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So I'm an Otakon DJ

edited July 2008 in Conventions
Hey Front Row Crew, I'm relatively new to the boards. I don't post as much as I should. But I've been a listener since I picked up a little paper at last years Otakon advertising GeekNights (so your paper ads do work!).

I submitted a DJ demo last year but my mixing was not at the skill it is now and I was thus denied. But this year I was one of 11 lucky DJs chosen.

Rym and Scott, you guys often say that the Otakon dances are no where near the quality of Katsucon's. Having attended Katsukon for the first time this past year (where I went to your geki-ga panel and met Viga) I concur. I heard DDR music and I was like woah this is fun! So why couldn't Otakon be this way? It can. This year I hope to be the Otakon DJ you've been waiting for.

The problem is Otakon gets just Baltimore/DC area DJs. Which is completely fine, I love dance music and the DC clubbing scene. The problem is that they are not fans of anime, gaming, various rants and tomfoolery. So the music will sometimes seem out of touch with the Otaku crowd. I respect these guys and I am privileged to be among them. They regularly play clubs all over DC and Baltimore, and I am just a bedroom/party DJ whose biggest DJ accomplishment is playing my high school's prom.

So this year I hope to see you all dancing your asses off at this year's OtaDance. And I promise you'll recognize many tunes. Rym, Scott, and I have similar interests so you may hear a few things that only the people on this forum will recognize.

I only hope there is no Rym&Scott panel during my timeslot!

Friday Night
Side Room
10:30-12

www.myspace.com/hi5md

See you there!

Comments

• Wait, I might got to the dance again? Just don't play a recurring beat with nothing else and you'll be 100% better then the others.
  • I hate the Otakon raves because the music sucks and the people are too smelly but I'll give it a go to check out your set! Good on ya man! I'm glad there's FINALLY someone to shake things up!
  • I haven't danced at an Otakon for any length of time since 2002 when Para-para was still popular. I'm looking forward to this. ^_~
  • Dude, you totally have my full support in trying to bring some awesome to the Otakon dance. It really needs the help. Even considering that, the odds of me actually going are pretty low. It will be very difficult for the power of your music, however awesome it may be, to overcome the power of the stinkiness, the glowsticks ravers, and the crowdedness in a small room. It's Otakon's fault, not yours. I'll still be rooting for you in spirit, if not in physical presence.
  • I will attempt the Otakon dance this year, but I am not sure that better music can outweigh the lack of ventilation and horrible stench. Seriously, why all the smell?
  • I will attempt the Otakon dance this year, but I am not sure that better music can outweigh the lack of ventilation and horrible stench. Seriously, why all the smell?
    Stuffed hallway like sardines.

I'm glad you put up the time too guy! So I can avoid the rest of the rave!
  • Seriously, why all the smell?
    I, for one, am a heavy sweater. Even if I shower in the morning and then put on deodorant right before say, Ohayocon's rave, I'll be sweating my ass off in 20-30 minutes. I might not stink, due to the deodorant, but I'll be sweaty as hell.
    Then think about the people who haven't showered all weekend, or don't have deodorant on...
  • Hopefully there wont be any FANboys.
  • Hopefully there wont be any FANboys.
    It's Otakon dude. OTAKON!
  • If I didn't have a gig that same weekend, I would've considered Otakon. Maybe next year.
  • edited July 2008
    Hopefully there wont be any FANboys.
    I'm thinking Sonic was going for the a fan joke, because everything is smelly and stuff. I dunno, that's just a guess.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • No I bet he is going for the spoken-emphasis on the "fan" of fanboys. As Rym and Scott always say on the show, there are fanboys and then there are FAN-boys.
  • No I bet he is going for the spoken-emphasis on the "fan" of fanboys. As Rym and Scott always say on the show, there are fanboys and then there areFAN-boys.
    And then there is the FANBOY.... he must be experienced to be believed, but I don't recommend it.