This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone Apps

Comments

• developers
  • edited April 2010
    Steve Balmer, that man could sweat for America.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Steve Balmer, that man could sweat for America.
    So, if he could sweat for two continents, would he be a water elemental? Or a salt elemental?
  • Yeah, I couldn't find it after searching. Hence the post. Do we have any developers* on the forum? After my exams are over, I could assist with the content. I'm not a coder though, so like 95% of the work would be on someone else.

*EDIT: by developers, I specifically mean current or future iPhone app developers. Obviously there are programmers here.
    Yeah, here. That would be my contribution.
  • iPhone app developers
    Yeah, here. That would be my contribution.Awesome! You are my new best friend!

Seriously, I am terrible at general knowledge of forumites. Sorry I didn't already know that.
  • Yeah, here. That would be my contribution.
    Yeah man, I've got an app on the app store right now. If you need some backup, I've got some UIView extensions that will make your life significantly easier, and I could help you out if you get painted into a corner.
  • iPhone app developers
    Yeah, here. That would be my contribution.
    Awesome! You are my new best friend!

Seriously, I am terrible at general knowledge of forumites. Sorry I didn't already know that.
    No worries. I usually try to downplay what I actually do since it's something that tends to put off most people I meet.
  • With 100,000 apps, I am amazed at how few are any good.

I'm generally not a gamer, but I have been pleasantly surprised by Sword & Poker. It plays a lot like Puzzle Quest for the Nintendo DS. For the price, it is an amazing value.

I might be the only person left using my.yahoo.com, but I wish there was an app for that. I suppose I could bookmark the page in Safari.

My big rant... why won't Apple let us sort apps by customer rating????!!!!!
  • why won't Apple let us
    Returns 5,300 results on Google, that's before you even begin to factor in even minor variations.
  • I've been giving a lot of love to Nethack on the iphone - it's a free, fully featured, stable port of nethack to the iphone.

My only complaint is that the bloody thing sucks up a little TOO much time, sometimes - Nothing like thinking "Oh, I'll play a quick level or two" and suddenly, it's five hours later.
  • I've been giving a lot of love to Nethack on the iphone - it's a free, fully featured, stable port of nethack to the iphone.
    How are the controls?
    How are the controls?
    Better than playing on a computer. At least, in terms of not having to do stupid keyboard commands.
  • How are the controls?
    Pretty good, actually - Movement goes by Taps, shortcuts down the bottom on a scrollable bar, and they're all able to be set by the user, though the defaults are quite sufficient. It's got a shortcut to pull up the keyboard, though there are minor control changes, for example, you pull up the log via the menu shortcut in the bottom bar, rather than using the keyboard input - more details here.
  • edited September 2010
    Epic Citadel as seen in Apple's infomercial yesterday. This will be the standard app I'll whip out when I have to show off the iPhones graphic capabilities from now on, I mean dayyym!

DoDonPachi Resurrection is expensive at $9, but I like shmups, like really like like, like the more shit is on the screen the better, and this one delivers.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • If you don't mind adding your thumbs to the list of "more shit on screen", then go for it.
  • So here is the app I want:

Workout log
    *Initial ability test
    *customizable workout routines made of simple elements
    *chart reading of your log so you can see progress in each element
    *push reminders to work out

ALSO A GAME
    *Uses your initial ability to set goals
    *Gives you points as you work towards each goal
    *Level up!
    *Integrates with social networks to publish your achievements

Does an app like this exist, and if not who can I work with to make it? I want it, and we all know how much motivational leveling up/meaningless points can be. All of the current workout/fitness apps I have found are targeted at diet and losing weight OR don't have sufficient incentive/push reminders. I know there are games for the Wii and whatnot, but I want something I can track on my phone because (a) I don't like to work out in front of the TV and (b) the phone is portable.
    Reminds me of Chore Wars which led me to find Chore Quest for iPhone
  • That's pretty neat. If only you could play Advance Wars on it :P
  • I really want this app, but it's $5.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/fog-of-world/id505367096
    Um... If you are the kind of person who travels enough to be even able to USE this app... I'm guessing $5 is not a problem...
  • Ren makes a good point. Scott's post reminds me of this Oatmeal comic: http://theoatmeal.com/blog/apps. However, I don't think Scott is like those people in the comic. If you're people like Scott, Luke, or Rym, this app would be fun to have. As for myself, I don't travel enough so I don't think I would fully benefit from an app like this.
  • I'd be more concerned about battery life of something that will be hitting the GPS so much.
  • My problem is that it doesn't have all of my existing travels to date already in it.
  • My problem is that it doesn't have all of my existing travels to date already in it.
  • Data cannot precede the means to record and collect it. There may be some residual evidence (in this case, preexisting GPS data that's been saved) but otherwise, the universe distorts and bends it beyond recovery.

Simple physics, people.
  • The was something about the iPhone keeping a list of all towers you connected to and when that can be used to trace your aproximate movement.
  • I think it would be interesting if everyone got FOW and then, say from 1.1.2013 start a competition for exactly one year. Assuming it has a "percentage" of world visited or some way to compare travels. A way to make you get out more, even if it's just taking a different way home.
  • Data cannot precede the means to record and collect it. There may be some residual evidence (in this case, preexisting GPS data that's been saved) but otherwise, the universe distorts and bends it beyond recovery.

Simple physics, people.
    We know. Rym and I are just grumpy that we can't enter in a trip to India or Europe after the fact.

• I went to the Apple Store yesterday to look for an extra Lightning cord, but instead purchased a retractable audio cable for my car. I was very surprised, but shouldn't have been when I found out I was able to purchase the damn thing by scanning it with the Apple Store app and completing the purchase through that.
  • edited October 2012
    My problem is that it doesn't have all of my existing travels to date already in it.
    Back when there was that big "scandal" about Apple storing a log of your location data, someone released a tool to copy the data over to your PC before the iOS update wiped it out. I've never used any services like Google Lattitude or anything, so it was pretty cool to save bout 4 years worth of my location data and plot it on a map. I'd be onboard if I could import my old stuff.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I think the real problem with an app like that is just quality control. If the app had 5,000 reviews and was consistently 4-5 stars, then $5 doesn't seem like a bad investment. However, how many apps have you seen that promise some brilliant, awesome feature that will make your life easier, but fail hard? Far too many, in my opinion.

The solution should be a fire sale to generate some good publicity and a ton of reviews, but it seems unlikely.