This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cosplaying

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
Does anyone else here cosplay? I created a Link costume for Otakon last year and am currently revisiting it to make it better, as it was only half(-ish) done last year and I was wondering if anyone here could give me advice. This is the first costume I have ever made and I have some questions.
Here is a good picture of the shield and some of the costume:

I'm looking for more pictures to get better views of the actual tunic.

What I am working on now is to make the boots actually look like boots, making the sword actually look like the Master Sword, making some pouches for rupees/money, bombs, and my DS, adding gromits to the tunic, making a scabbard, trying to make the chain mail look like chain mail, and making a scabbard strap.

Comments

• edited July 2008
    A couple years back I cosplayed as Wolfwood for a Halloween party. I built the guncross and made a portable confessional too. Wish I got a picture of it though...
    Next time I go to an anime convention, I'm either going as Vash, Knives, or the "No Picture Available" Guy on 4Chan.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited July 2008
    I did a half ass Mr. H (world ends with you) costume at Colossalcon this past June. Could've been worse, really... Probably won't do it again. The outfit ended up overstuffing my normal duffel bag.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I did Jessica from Dragon Quest 8 at Otakon 06. For the DC anime marathon I was black mage. They both wasn't that good. I think that will be my last time cosplaying ever. It's not that I hate it but costume making isn't my specialty and neither is the cosplay fandom.
  • Can anyone give me an idea on how to get something that looks like chain mail but isn't actually chain mail? I was thinking some sort of netting, but I wouldn't know where to get any netting.
  • You could make one out of a bunch of can soda tops.
  • Never cosplayed, but that's what you get when you have no cons near you. I do have some critique though. Hold the shield STRAIGHT, and the sword low. You're stance is nowhere near that of Link. Which imho is part of the cosplay, no?
  • edited July 2009
    The handle of my shield broke last year, and I need to repair it before next Friday. The bolts that held the handle to the resin shield were ripped out by the sheer size and weight (I would say around 10-12 pounds) of the shield, so I need something strong. I was thinking about using resin, but it is so expensive (unless they come in a smaller size than I had to get for my Design II class last semester). The shield will be retired after this Otakon, as I am going to be remaking and revamping my Link costume which will include a much lighter and correct shield (I have to wear my shield on my left arm, due to the way it was made. Link is left-handed). Any ideas for a quick fix?
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I have a friend who's going to Otakon as, among other things, Asuka. I'm going to be going as Shinji for at least one day.
  • I'm doing Ness at this year's Otakon. Not my first cosplay, but the first that will actually be recognized and enjoyed. I've got a lot done, but I'm gonna see if I can't make a better shirt, and try and find a backpack. And maybe paint my tiny novelty bat brown so I can use it. And maybe try and get a yo-yo. But, other than that, I've got most of it down.
  • Have you checked at a hardware store for some resin-paste-bonding agent? Man, I forgot what it's called. Supposedly it holds stuff together really well. Anyway, point being, check a hardware store. Should be cheaper than resin meant for art purposes.
  • I have a friend who's going to Otakon as, among other things, Asuka.
    Plug suit horny nerd magnet Asuka or school uniform less of a horny nerd magnet Asuka?
    I'm going to be going as Shinji for at least one day.
    You're not bad ass enough to play Shinji. :p
  • Plug suit horny nerd magnet Asuka or school uniform less of a horny nerd magnet Asuka?
    Sun dress Asuka.
    You're not bad ass enough to play Shinji. :p
    I mustn't run away.... I mustn't run away...
  • Have you checked at a hardware store for some resin-paste-bonding agent?
    Ma'am, I do not follow your heathen idea. I only pray to Arylditey, goddess of sticky situations.

(P.s - Aryldite is seriously the best stuff you can use for these sorts of repairs. The rest of the thing will break before the epoxy-resin does.
  • Have you checked at a hardware store for some resin-paste-bonding agent?
    Ma'am, I do not follow your heathen idea. I only pray to Arylditey, goddess of sticky situations.

(P.s - Aryldite is seriously the best stuff you can use for these sorts of repairs. The rest of the thing will break before the epoxy-resin does.
    Actually, I'm glad you've got a better idea, as I tend to be the guess-and-check type... and I've never actually TRIED hardware store stuff. It was just an idea.
  • Actually, I'm glad you've got a better idea, as I tend to be the guess-and-check type... and I've never actually TRIED hardware store stuff. It was just an idea.
    Don't worry, I'm not chiding you, after all, I can't expect you to have knowledge of anything specific, because I don't know you from a bar of soap. The heathen thing was just a lead in to the whole Arylditey-goddess joke. You were actually pretty close, it's just that Aryldite is superior for the situation at hand.
  • Sun dress Asuka.
    Crap, I forgot about that one. Prepare for a nerd noting that the colour of the dress is slightly off, whether it is or not.
    Don't worry, I'm not chiding you, after all, I can't expect you to have knowledge of anything specific, because I don't know you from a bar of soap. The heathen thing was just a lead in to the whole Arylditey-goddess joke. You were actually pretty close, it's just that Aryldite is superior for the situation at hand.
    Dude, stop knowing everything about everything (exception being the source of HungryJoe's immortality, I still say grumpiness), it's off-settling.
  • I went to visit the Home Depot and they didn't have Aryldite, but they did have a Gorilla Glue that is resin. Hopefully it will work.
  • edited July 2009
    Dude, stop knowing everything about everything (exception being the source of HungryJoe's immortality, I still say grumpiness), it's off-settling.
    But I know that, too, it's that he happens to be the Highlander.
    I went to visit the Home Depot and they didn't have Aryldite, but they did have a Gorilla Glue that is resin. Hopefully it will work.
    It should work pretty similar, did you get the one that comes in the double-barrel syringe looking thing(The Epoxy-resin)?
    My apologies for not checking up if you can get Araldite commonly in the states.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It should work pretty similar, did you get the one that comes in the double-barrel syringe looking thing(The Epoxy-resin)?
    That's the one.
    Anyway, this fix is supposed to only last through Otakon. I want to make a shield that is both canon-correct, but also lighter. I want to be able to hang it on something on my back and whip out the items (bombs, Gale Boomerang, Hero's Bow, maybe the spinning top of doom, and hopefully a claw shot). Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make any of these items?
  • edited July 2009
    That's the one.
    Perfect, follow the instructions on the pack, and that should work a treat. make sure there's a rough but clean surface for it to stick to, if you can - a run over with some rough sandpaper till it's rough to the touch should do it. Then use a bit more of the glue to make a thin coat over the initial bond has properly set(ie, left with pressure on for about 24 hours) for added strength - again, just run some rough sandpaper over it to ensure the glue has a really good surface to adhere to.
    (bombs, Gale Boomerang, Hero's Bow, maybe the spinning top of doom, and hopefully a claw shot)
    I suggest that you get in contact with lackofcheese, and see if he can send you a boomerang from a tacky tourist shop - you get a good one, pre-made, and you can attach whatever appropriate hardware to make it look like the Gale boomerang that you want. Paper mache and some builder's bog, with a bit of black spray, gold spray, and a thin hank of rope with a thin, stiff wire down the middle for bombs, I'll think on how to make a prop clawshot, I already have an idea, but I'll have to think on it a bit more first. The hero's bow, you could sort yourself out with a decent little bow from a toystore or something, or if you can make a simple one out of wood, and again, attach appropriate hardware.

As I said, I'll get back to you on the clawshot and the bow.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Haha, I am the source of all boomerangs! Churba, I will note that if I wanted my handle to begin with a capital letter, it would.
  • I want to make a shield that is both canon-correct
    Screw canon, red tunic + OoT Mirror Shield + Goron's Knife. More bad ass than Fierce Deity Link.
    I wanted my handle to begin with a capital letter, it would.
    I sucked it up.

Goal of post: Be sure to make lots of progress pictures Li_Akahi, want to see more of your awesome cosplay!
  • Haha, I am the source of all boomerangs! Churba, I will note that if I wanted my handle to begin with a capital letter, it would.
    Sorry, Grammatical habit - and I put it to you because while we have cheaper and tackier tourist shops up north, I don't exactly live there anymore, so you're up mate.
  • Goal of post: Be sure to make lots of progress pictures Li_Akahi, want to see more of your awesome cosplay!
    My costume looks a lot better than it did in the picture at the beginning of the thread, so I'm going to ask one of the people going with me to Otakon to do some sort of small photo shoot at the con. People will be able to get a better idea of what the costume looks like.
    Anyway, I am super excited about this year's Otakon. For once, my hair is actually long enough to pull off Link's hair-do! Yay!
  • Just asking, how did that shield-fixing go?
    I haven't gotten to fix it yet, going to do it on Monday.
    I haven't gotten to fix it yet, going to do it on Monday.
    Cool, tell us how it goes.
  • edited July 2009
    What I was working with:
    Better shot:
    Hopefully it will stay:
    I'm going to test it in a few hours. I applied the resin and re-tightened the bolts, so if this doesn't work I have no idea as to what to do.
  • edited July 2009
    What I was working with:
    If you have a G-clamp, put a cloth between it and the front surface of the shield to avoid marring the surface, and apply pressure to the part you put the resin on. It should help. Did you sand the surfaces where you were applying the resin till they were rough?
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, so it didn't hold. Bummer. Luckily for me, one of my friends who I was staying with bought a lighter and seemingly better contstructed version of the same shield for his future Dark Link costume and let me borrow it for the weekend.

Also, photo shoots are fun. Apparently I have beautiful eyes. -Swoon-