This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What happens when one of "us" runs for government

edited July 2008 in Politics
You get a witty comic and an interesting campaign.
Running for Office: It's Like A Flamewar with a Forum Troll, but with an Eventual Winner
From his site:
My name is Sean Tevis. I'm an Information Architect in Kansas running for State Representative. I’ve decided to “retire” my current State Representative. I'm going to win. This is my story (XKCD homage style) so far.
Rather funny. Be interesting to watch the government as more and more "geeks" start entering the political arena.

Comments

How weak am I to get convinced to give 8 bucks through a XKCD homage comic.

Luckily I'm flat broke.
  • He seems like a good guy.
  • If I send money to one of you can you donate it for the controversy lulz.
  • He got my $8.34
  • edited July 2008
    I was completely unconvinced until he said that last thing about breaking the record for the most donations and the publicity it brings in.

Although I really hope he's getting some donations from Kansas residents...
    ...and that he realizes there's some dirty tricks you need to play to get anything done in Congress...
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • ...and that he realizes there's some dirty tricks you need to play to get anything done in Congress...
    It's a state senate, so it's only slightly dirty tricks. Although I do also wonder how many people in Kansas this actually is reaching. I wonder if we can just sudo our votes over there...
  • It's a state senate, so it's only slightly dirty tricks.
    Right...
  • edited July 2008
    Seriously??!! Nowai!!
    How is it that hard just ring the button in front of you only?!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    Right...
    Eh, that's bad, but it's nothing a paintball shooting turret can't fix.

I'm talking about the alliances, pandering, and other dirty tricks you need to do in government. Everything in a democracy relies on votes, and to get those, you'll need the cooperation of other Congressmen. That may mean siding with someone on something you don't entirely believe in, becoming a slave to your party, or doing some other burdensome things. If he doesn't, he'll find some big enemies when he tries proposing his own bill (like the No Sales Tax on Food idea).
  • He seems like a good guy.
    Yeah, so did Spitzer. Obama looked like the freakin' messiah, too.

I maintain skepticism, though I may actually donate $8.34 to this guy on the off chance that he's the real deal.
  • Obama looked like the freakin' messiah, too.
    Isn't that the problem? He does what every other politician does in the general election, moves toward the center. Sure I'm disappointed, but at the same time I feel like people had him built up as the pinnacle of perfection, so any less than perfect action on his part (such as signing the wiretap bill) makes everyone flip out. He's not perfect, but at the same time, I still think he'd make a damn good leader.
    Isn't that the problem? He does what every other politician does in the general election, moves toward the center. Sure I'm disappointed, but at the same time I feel like people had him built up as the pinnacle of perfection, so any less than perfect action on his part (such as signing the wiretap bill) makes everyone flip out. He's not perfect, but at the same time, I still think he'd make a damn good leader.
    You took the words right out of my mouth, Ms. Emi! I am with you.
  • jccjcc
    edited July 2008
    Obama looked like the freakin' messiah, too.
    Isn't that the problem? He does what every other politician does in the general election, moves toward the center.
    The ones that don't end up becoming Jesse Helms or his liberal equivalent. :)
    Post edited by jcc on
    Right...

I've seen that video before (possibly even on these forums), but it seems too goodbad to be true. Is there any follow-up on this?
    He seems like a good guy.
    Yeah, so did Spitzer. [...]
    Spitzer did nothing wrong!
  • edited July 2008
    I've seen that video before (possibly even on these forums), but it seems toogoodbad to be true. Is there any follow-up on this?
    According to the Texas Constitution, the legislature meets in 140 day sessions every two years (in an odd numbered year). The governor can also call emergency sessions, but only for 30 days at a cost of $800,000. It is too expensive to meet constantly. Because of this, little gets done.

The annual salary of a state legislature is $7,200 and $150 a day when in session. Legislators must moonlight and depend on lobbyists for support. This is a possible motive.

Why? Because the Texans hated "carpetbaggers" and the state constitution they put in place after the Civil War, and replaced it with a crappy one. We've had it since 1845. No one has successfully written a replacement.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited July 2008
    Spitzer did nothing wrong!
    Except break the law he swore to uphold (no matter how a person feels about prostitution, it was illegal in the States he allegedly procured the services of a prostitute) . More importantly, as State Attorney General, he prosecuted prostitutes and johns and broke up prostitution rings. That is hypocrisy if ever I saw it.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Wow, the District he's running in is close to me, but sadly, not my own. I'll check out his volunteering stuff though. I can at least get a lawn sign out of it.
  • (XKCD homage style)
    Bullshit. XKCD is actually DRAWN, that comic is merely drawn in MS Paint with the line and oval tool. XKCD insult style I'd say.
  • What exactly constitutes XKCD's style? It's not the drawn style as much as the style of humor.
  • What exactly constitutes XKCD's style? It's not the drawn style as much as the style of humor.
    1. Humour, 2. No static, simple shape art. I.e. no line tools, no oval tools. Actual usage of a pencil.

Sure, XKCD uses stick figures, but not the classic crappy and horrible kind. They even have personality. Example, Classhole.
  • Actual usage of a pencil.
    "Actual usage of a pencil" doesn't mean anything. I'll give you that XKCD's stick figures are more expressive than this guy's, but it has nothing to do with the tools, and everything to do with (and I never thought I'd say this about XKCD) the artist's ability.
    edited July 2008
    but it has nothing to do with the tools, and everything to do with (and I never thought I'd say this about XKCD) the artist's ability.
    Then the entire point flew at mach 3, 20 miles over your head. :)
    Post edited by ... on
  • The XKCD dude can actually draw well, that he decided to draw stick figures...Beyond me.
  • 2. No static, simple shape art. I.e. no line tools, no oval tools. Actual usage of a pencil.
    I guess I got caught up on this line, where you said that the number 2 reason, besides humor, is actual usage of a pencil, and didn't say anything about talent or skill.
    The XKCD dude can actually draw well, that he decided to draw stick figures...Beyond me.
    That's surprising. I haven't seen anything I'd consider drawn well -- can you link something?
  • I think he chooses that plain, cut-and-dry style because it fits well with the mathy nature of the comic.
    I don't disagree that he'll still be good. I'm just pointing out that there is this tendency to build candidates up to be this sort of savior-type. All politicians play the game, and making a webcomic about how you're a politician who doesn't play the game really just smacks of, well, game-playing.

Hence, I maintain my skepticism.
  • I think he chooses that plain, cut-and-dry style because it fits well with the mathy nature of the comic.
    I think another thing that helps is the total anonymity of the characters. For the most part, these aren't even really characters -- they're just a mouthpiece for whatever he wants to say in that particular strip. I think giving them recognizable features would put too much focus on who they are, and take away from the joke.

There's definitely a lot to be said for an choosing an appropriate style to tell your story. If Jim Lee drew Blankets (full disclosure: I haven't read Blankets), I don't think it would work.
  • 2. No static, simple shape art. I.e. no line tools, no oval tools. Actual usage of a pencil.
    I guess I got caught up on this line, where you said that the number 2 reason, besides humor, is actual usage of a pencil, and didn't say anything about talent or skill.
    The XKCD dude can actually draw well, that he decided to draw stick figures...Beyond me.
    That's surprising. I haven't seen anything I'd consider drawn well -- can you link something?
    One,two, and three.
  • edited July 2008
    One,two,and three.
    Oh, okay, thanks. Yeah, I've seen those. I guess "drawing well" is just really subjective.
    Post edited by Funfetus on