This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Let's talk about The Dark Knight (with Spoilers, if need be)

edited July 2008 in Movies
I fear this is mostly free association, but please bear with me. There's a lot of ground to cover.

Heath Ledger was a far more interesting Joker than Jack Nicholson. I said it. And thank god there was no stupid Joker origin story to bog it all down. I especially liked all the lip-smacking and loose tongue-flicking action. At first, it looked like Heath was trying to channel Jack, but he claimed the character for his own.

I'm a little worried that Joker didn't meet his demise at the end -- any word on whether anybody's been fingered to take the role in future films? I was waiting for Bats to drop him off the skyscraper, which would have been dark indeed.

At least there was no, "You created me, Batman" rhetoric. I found that Joker being an incredibly intelligent and not-so-goofy psycho with a philosophical agenda to be refreshing. It wasn't about money, or jealousy, or politics. It was about making a statement.

Still, at nearly 3 hours, TDK got a little long-of-tooth for my taste. Did anyone else think it suffered for the Gordon's-family-getting-kidnapped subplot at the end?

And did anyone else think Rachael Dawes was a two-timing whore who should have kept it in her pants (so to speak)?

Also, I took a picture of this clown at a midnight screening:

To sum up: Five stars, but still a bit too long. Ledger stole the show. He should get a posthumous Oscar for his performance. Nothing after the credits, so don't waste your time sitting there. Two Face's makeup was very, very good. And the organic introduction of more than one villain was seamless, unlike my issue with juggling both Scarecrow and Ducard.

Also, I command you to debate: Gary Oldman's best role?

Comments

• I am going to see The Dark Knight as soon as I get off work (literally, I get out at 4:30 and my tickets are for the 4:40 showing), so I will wait to comment on the movie, but I will take the bait on the Gary Oldman debate.
    As I said, I have yet to see the film, but I am sceptical that it could top his performance as Ludwig van Beethoven in Immortal Beloved.
  • Admit it, 1989 Batman sucked ass.
  • I've always wanted to see a pencil disappear.

But yeah, Heath Ledger, you will be missed. I liked how joker kept changing his origin story, nice little homage to the comics.
    I think you misspelled the word "kicked".
    You know how year-over-year sales totals are adjusted for inflation? Well, adjusted for "cultural inflation," the 1989 Batman is still a better movie than either Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.
  • You know how year-over-year sales totals are adjusted for inflation? Well, adjusted for "cultural inflation," the 1989 Batman is still a better movie than either Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.
    Ooh, cultural inflation, very interesting. Does that mean that maybe some bard from the middle ages with a fanbase of two villages was actually bigger than Elvis?
  • edited July 2008
    Admit it, 1989 Batman sucked ass.
    You know how year-over-year sales totals are adjusted for inflation? Well, adjusted for "cultural inflation," the 1989 Batman is still a better movie than either Batman Begins or The Dark Knight.
    This implies that there were no good, high-quality films in 1989 or before. This simply isn't the case.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I was suggesting more a measure of quality in context of the standards of the time period, not popularity.
  • edited July 2008
    1989 Best Pictures:

* Accidental Tourist, The (1988) - Lawrence Kasdan; Charles Okun; Michael Grillo
    * Dangerous Liaisons (1988) - Norma Heyman; Hank Moonjean
    * Mississippi Burning (1988) - Frederick Zollo; Robert F. Colesberry
    * Rain Man (1988) - Mark Johnson
    * Working Girl (1988) - Douglas Wick

I really don't think film standards were so much drastically lower at that time period than they are now.
  • 39 minutes until my bum is in the plushy movie theater seat and my eyeballs are exposed to the flickering lights of The Dark Knight!!!
  • 39 minutes until my bum is in the plushy movie theater seat and my eyeballs are exposed to the flickering lights of The Dark Knight!!!
    WHY ARE YOU READING THIS THREAD BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE?! GAAAAAAH! You so craaaazy.
  • edited July 2008
    39 minutes until my bum is in the plushy movie theater seat and my eyeballs are exposed to the flickering lights of The Dark Knight!!!
    WHY ARE YOU READING THIS THREAD BEFORE SEEING THE MOVIE?! GAAAAAAH! You so craaaazy.
    I've read many fo teh reviews, etc. This thread has provided no greater insight or information that I have already read elsewhere. I do not really buy the "spoiler" thing (for myself), as the complete film is more or less than the sum of its parts in most cases. And yes, I am SO CRAAAZY! ^_^
  • C'mon, Mrs. MacRoss. I want to hear how satisfied you are. FOR SHIT'S SAKE, PEOPLE, HURRY UP AND LOG ON, BECAUSE I NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS MOVIE.
  • edited July 2008
    Didn't get to go to a midnight showing, but I did go to see an 11:30 AM showing so that I could see it before going to work. The upside of that was that this morning showing, while crowded, wasn't completely sold out, and I was able to secure a great place in line and a prime seat for the show. ^^

I thought the movie was pretty good, overall. It wasn't knock-your-socks off good (or the second coming of Jesus Christ), but it was still pretty good. I really, really liked Ledger's Joker, and I don't think many people will dispute that he completely stole the show. In fact, I think he might have done so to the slight detriment of the rest of the movie. I didn't really feel that connected to any other characters, not even Batman. The next most vibrant character was Harvey Dent, who still seemed to be a bit flat in parts.

The technical parts of the movie were all superb, especially in the vehicle sequences. The batpod was made of 100% awesomeinium-fantasticite alloy, as far as I was concerned. <3 The sonar detection parts of the movie were also very well executed (ee, I loved the effect of the white "comic book" eyes that had on Batman's mask!) as well.

On a last note: is anyone else bothered by Christian Bale's growly Batman voice? I understand he can't go around using his Bruce Wayne voice in that costume, but for goodness sake, he could have picked a voice that didn't make him sound like he was in danger of sanding his vocal chords away with every syllable. x_x
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Ahhhh, I just saw The Dark Knight yesterday. I agree that while it's not perfect, it definitely takes the cake of superhero movies.

The Joker indeed stole the show. After the "pencil trick," everyone in the theater was stunned and awed, and started cheering and laughing. That was perhaps the best part of Heath Ledger's performance - all the depraved, horrible things he could get you to laugh at. The perfect Joker. I can say without reservation that he showed up Jack Nicholson. Most of the time during the movie, I was just waiting to see what he'd do next.

However, Eryn is right about the Joker outshining Batman; I often felt that Batman wasn't even the main character of the movie. Bruce Wayne doesn't really do much in the story besides (1) Throw a fancy party and do assholish millionaire things, and (2) Whip out hi-tech stuff and chase criminals while in the throes of self-doubt. Okay, whatever. After the Joker, I was more interested in Harvey Dent and Rachel Dawes (with a much better actress this time!) than Batman. I rather liked the turn of the story and what happened to Rachel in the end, too.

Finally, I liked the moral quandaries the film presented. It's pretty clear there's no easy solution to all the crime in Gotham. Even in the very act of fighting crime, Batman is creating more, and giving birth to villains because of his choices. None of the situations the characters were presented with had clear-cut "correct" answers, either; not a single person remained stainless by the end of the story. There's also the constant questioning of Batman's vigilantism, and the blurred lines between heroism and villainy. Awesome.

Overall:
    + Joker
    + Difficult moral issues
    + Interesting action scenes

- Too long
    - Batman lackluster compared to other characters

@ Jason: No, I don't think Rachel was a two-timing whore. Look at Bruce Wayne. I mean, look at him. He gets points for being the childhood friend, but he really did grow up to be a pompous asshole. And with his dual life - what sort of happiness could she have with him? Dent was a much better match for her personality.
  • The only thing I was left wondering about as I left the theater was how, if at all, will it be possible to follow that with a sequel and do it justice?
  • I really enjoyed how unpredictable the movie was in certain parts, such as when cars would fly sideways and hit other cars. The joker definitely took the cake.
  • This movie was fucking brilliant, it was good vs. evil trying to outsmart each other. I loved the Joker being so crazy, but always with a plan, like a real nemesis, an evil master mind.
    And Harvey's decent to the "dark side" was done amazingly well. I could see the reasoning in his choices, going from sad, to angry to evil.
    In Star Wars episode III, the choices Anakin made before turning to Dark Vader, didn't really connected with me. But the way this was told, the performance, it was so clear it couldn't go any other way.
    I do wonder if Harvey is really dead or not, and it really is a shame we won't get more of this Joker

Oh and I don't know why but I really liked Anthony Michael Hall in that reporter roll.
  • Rachel Dawes (with a much better actress this time!)
    I really, really like Maggie Gyllenhaal, and have for a while now (so much love for her role in Secretary). I was so stoked to see her in this ever since I heard that she had taken Katie Holmes's place, and she did not disappoint. <333 Shame about her character's fate, but at least Rachel's overall role in the story became much more meaningful than in the first one.
  • I quite enjoyed The Dark Knight. There was a bit of a lull before the final actiony stuff which may have benefited from a bit of editing. Overall, I'd say it was quite good. I like how occasionally the Joker would be saying things to himself and it was really hard to hear. Was there a single bat in the movie? Hopefully the Batcave will be ready by the next movie. Katie Holmes really didn't deserve the crap she got for Batman Beyond. I thought Katie was fine and Maggie Gyllenhall was not better or worse, just a bit different. I, too, hate the Batman gravely voice, but understand why it is there. I thought Aaron Eckhart was excellent. I was hoping Two-Face would stick around to cause some trouble in the future. I would love to see Oldman in a 'Gotham Central' movie.
  • I really, really like Maggie Gyllenhaal, and have for a while now (so muchlove for her role in Secretary).
    Obligatory.
  • Movie Rule #11: If you don't confirm the kill, the person is not dead.
  • That joker was the best Joker in my eyes, Wow. Mutha effing WOW!

It was long but justified because it was awesome.
  • I would rate the Jokers as such:
    1. Heath Ledger
    2. Mark Hamill
    3. Jack Nicholson
    4. Ceser Romaro
    5. Every other person who played him.
    1. Heath Ledger
    2. Mark Hamill
    3. Jack Nicholson
    4. Ceser Romaro
    Agreed.
    1. Heath Ledger
    2. Mark Hamill
    3. Jack Nicholson
    4. Ceser Romaro
    Agreed.
    Jack Nicholson should be removed from that list. He didn't even attempt to act. He simply was Jack Nicholson with face paint and a couple funny lines.
  • Jack Nicholson should be removed from that list. He didn't even attempt to act. He simply was Jack Nicholson with face paint and a couple funny lines.
    I always get into this argument when it comes Nicholson. He is a caricature of himself in every role he plays. Not to say that it isn't entertaining, because he's very talented at entertaining. However, his merit as an actor is questionable.
  • When The Joker puts the grenade in that guys mouth, the whole theater let out a "No fucking way!" My sister hid her eyes every time The Joker was on screen after the pencil trick, cause she had no idea what he was going to do. I even started to get a bit scared after he took out the knife the first time. And as Jason said, I love the way he spoke. Not in a "It turns me on" way, but a "That fits perfectly" way. Lastly, his laugh is perfect.

Sorry this has become even more of Joker Discussion instead of Dark Knight, but the way Ledger played the character left such an impact on me.
  • I love the way he spoke. Not in a "It turns me on" way...
    Ummm... I doubt anyone would have assumed that you liked it in a sexual way.... I am greatly disturbed now.
  • edited July 2008
    I love the way he spoke. Not in a "It turns me on" way...
    Ummm... I doubt anyone would have assumed that you liked it in a sexual way.... I am greatly disturbed now.
    Sorry, my dad looked at me weird when I told him that, so I had clarify to him.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on