This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Let's talk about The Dark Knight (with Spoilers, if need be)

Comments

• The Dark Knight is the greatest movie of all time according to the IMDB Top 250. Yeah . . . I loved it but I think its a little quick to rank it over Godfather and Shawshank.
  • Am I the only one who laughed at the fire truck on fire?
  • Am I the only one who laughed at the fire truckon fire?
    no, my sister and I started laughing really hard, and my my dad glared at us.
  • I would rate the Jokers as such:
    1. Heath Ledger
    2. Mark Hamill
    3. Jack Nicholson
    4. Ceser Romaro
    5. Every other person who played him.
    Personally I would put Mark Hamill first because he made the Joker's laugh into a musical instrument. But I can completely understand, and respect, putting Heath Ledger as your #1.
  • The only reason I put Heath Ledger above Mark Hamill was because in the span of a two and a half hour movie he scared me so much more than Mark Hamill did in the entire run of Batman the Animated Series.
  • The only reason I put Heath Ledger above Mark Hamill was because in the span of a two and a half hour movie he scared me so much more than Mark Hamill did in the entire run of Batman the Animated Series.
    That was because on the animated series the Joker was funnier, granted that I did laughed when I saw him run in that nurse costume :P
  • That was because on the animated series the Joker was funnier, granted that I did laughed when I saw him run in that nurse costume :P
    Even though he was more comedic in the show, he still did some pretty horrific stuff.
  • You can't straight up compare the Joker from TAS and the movies. They had different audiences and served different dramatic purposes. You have to grade on a curve.
  • You can't straight up compare the Joker from TAS and the movies. They had different audiences and served different dramatic purposes. You have to grade on a curve.
    A curve favoring what?
  • Remember my argument about cultural inflation? You also have to think about maturity inflation. You can't say a Joker made appropriate for ages 8 to 13 is "worse" than a Joker made appropriate for ages 14 to 65 (the later number being arbitrary). They are just different tools to do a different job.
  • The Joker was scary in this movie. I was never scared of a joker until now. Every scene with the knife to the face made me cringe a bit.
  • What about his magic trick at the beginning? That was pretty horrific!
  • edited July 2008
    What about his magic trick at the beginning? That was pretty horrific!
    The pencil or grenade? Nah.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • The pencil.
  • So was this movie based accurately on the comic? If i've seen the movie, should I bother reading the comic?
  • If i've seen the movie, should I bother reading the comic?
    Which comic are you specifically referring to? Aren't there many different Batman comics out there?

I don't recall the movie being based off any specific comic, just the general storyline of Batman. If anything, I suggest you read The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and also listen to the Geek Nights podcast on it. I also heard Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" is quite good as well.
  • edited July 2008
    So was this movie based accurately on the comic? If i've seen the movie, should I bother reading the comic?
    Read Batman: Year One and Batman: Year Two. The Bale Batman movies are very loosely (very loosely) based on those. I can't stress how loosely.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • For example, Rachel has never been in any of the comics. There have most likely been characters like her, but there has never been a Rachel Dawes.
  • Does anyone really care how closely this film does or does not follow any existing interpretations of Batman?
  • Does anyone really care how closely this film does or does not follow any existing interpretations of Batman?
    Fan-peoples will.
    Fan-peoples will.
    But not real people. ^_~
  • But not real people. ^_~
    I will admit during one point of the movie, a certain character was no longer there. I went "bat"-shit crazy thinking, "OMG! Is this real!? This has to be fake! How could they do that! NO WAI! He's a crucial reoccurring character!" Then later on, the movie answered my question.

So I had a slight fangirl angry moment for a bit.
  • I've never been able to adequately imagine the Joker's voice coming from Mark Hamill's mouth.

I didn't see The Dark Knight last weekend because I didn't want to fight the crowds. This weekend, Brideshead Revisited takes priority over The Dark Knight.
  • edited July 2008
    As far as Batman comics go, here's required reading for the modern (last 20+ years) of Batman:

Batman: Dark Detective - Steve Englehart
    The Dark Knight Returns - Frank Miller
    Batman: Year One - Frank Miller
    Batman: Year Two (Fear the Reaper) - Mike Barr
    The Killing Joke - Alan Moore
    The Long Halloween - Jeph Loeb
    Dark Victory - Jeph Loeb
    Batman: Arkham Asylum - Grant Morrison
    Batman: Knightfall - Doug Moench
    Batman: Hush - Jeph Loeb (totally worth spending the money on the Absolute edition)

edit: Forgot one - Batman: Under the Hood - Judd Winnick
    Post edited by Sparkybuzzed on
  • Batman: Under the Hood - Judd Winnick
    My circle of friends and I have a running joke when it comes to Winick . . . He destroys good stories by introducing AIDS to a character, or something along those lines . . . Every goddamn time. He is not a good writer. I would not put anything he's written on that list. IGN has a definitive top 25 batman story list.
  • Don't forget The Dark Knight Strikes Again, which ends the Batman story, in my eyes.
  • ... As much as I enjoyed Dark Knight Returns, Strikes Again was too bogged down in things that had nothing to do with Batman to be good.
  • Yeah... so Fox and Friends compared Batman to Bush... I'm scared!
    edited August 2008
    August ninth. Nine saw The Dark Knight, and found it to be awesome. I agree with most things said about this film in this thread, Heath Ledger was awesome, the Joker was awesome, Two Face's 'make-up' looked a little too over the top, his eye should've fallen out and his mouth unable to move, you cannot flex tendons ffs! The suit was cool though, but they don't explain how he got it, and no, real suits do not become cracked if they've been on fire, they get holes in them.

The only thing I disagree with is
    - Too long
    , yes, I found it to be exactly right.

Also,
    Am I the only one who laughed at the fire truck on fire?
    no, my sister and I started laughing really hard, and my my dad glared at us.
    I grinned, but being civilised in a civilised cinema with civilised people around me I did not make a sound. n.~ True, one should enjoy the 'comedic' parts, but not loudly with this kind of film.

EDIT: One of the greatest parts, at least, the 'comedic' parts, was the flipping truck.
    Joker: HE MISSED! :D
    *Insert truck catapult*
    Post edited by ... on
  • I saw it a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that I definately loved it.

Ledger's Joker is one of the best things in the movie, and the "agent of chaos" aspect is actually rather fresh for the character. And another thing: I was actually shocked to learn that Gary Oldman played Gordon, I never expected him to play a role like that.

And did anyone tear up at the end, where Batman's fleeing the police after taking the rap for Dent's rampage?