This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cowboy Bebop... Live-Action?

13»

Comments

• edited January 2009
    Keanu Reeves is confirmed for the role of Spike Speigel.
    Take what you will from that.
    Consider this matter closed and we shall not speak of it again.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I heard they scrapped the plans of making a live action Cowboy Bebop. Best decision ever.
  • Maybe they finally remembered they'd already made a Cowboy Bebop movie and that it was too epic and awesome to possibly best.
  • From what I hear, Keanu being a bit of an anime fan himself, pushed to get this Cowboy Bebop film made. That fact holds a lot of hope for me. I think once the work starts, with the japanese staff involved, this could be something special. Its healthy to be scared it'll get fucked up, especially after Dragonball Evo, they must tread carefully. However, with the combination of sci fi, action comedy and great music, I think it will work out and still be unique.

The potential spanner in the works could be Fox getting crazy, but I hope with Keanu understanding the source material, he'll be able to help others who don't, and keep the Fox nuts in check. Besides that, he might actually make a good Spike too, since Spike doesn't smile much.

All the plundering of anime and manga was always going to happen, because Hollywood is running out of ideas. In a few years, people might get tired of usual western known comics movies. I'm still holding out for Monster, Parasyte (Kiseiju) and Death Note to be done, as these would also make the jump to live action well.

As for the Firefly bit, I think Bebop will do fine in its own universe without being compared to it. Don't forget, Bebop was out before Firefly.

Have some hope, people.

• As for the Firefly bit, I think Bebop will do fine in its own universe without being compared to it. Don't forget, Bebop was out before Firefly.
    If I remember correctly, Joss mentioned Cowboy Bebop specifically as an influence for Firefly.
  • edited May 2009
    Anyone run across any new news about this? I saw the thread and realized I haven't heard anything in a long time. And I'm at work, so too lazy to search around myself. :P

As for the Firefly bit, I think Bebop will do fine in its own universe without being compared to it. Don't forget, Bebop was out before Firefly.
    If I remember correctly, Joss mentioned Cowboy Bebop specifically as an influence for Firefly.
    I don't think this happened, I certainly don't remember any mention of anime aside from Whedon denying he'd ever seen Outlaw Star before (because of the River/Melfina comparisons).
    Post edited by RyienKu on
  • New news from SciFi Squad.
    Cowboy Bebop:
    When the live action film of the beloved anime was first announced, fans were not thrilled with the idea. Plus, it probably didn't help that Keanu Reeves was taking the role of Spike. But, maybe we shouldn't count out the film yet, because when it comes to the film's screenwriter, there is good news and some bad news. But, let's start with the good news. In an interview with Anime Vice, Craig was asked about whether or not he was familiar with the series, and to his credit, Craig went into full fan-boy mode, telling them about some of his favorite episodes and that both he and Reeves have been meeting with Sunrise studio (the creator of the anime) to make sure that the original 'feel' of the show remains intact. According to Craig, "they [Sunrise] were very specific about their vision for the series, and how it might convert to a live-action film." -- sounds promising, right? Well, the bad news is that Craig has zero experience with sci-fi, and made his name writing about con-men and dysfunctional families. But, I'm going to remain hopeful that with Sunrise watching over the flick, there might be a chance we get something a little better than expected.
    Sounds promising, for now.
  • You know, I guess I'd rather have someone good at writing human drama. The Sci-Fi should be secondary to the characters. And con-men might not be as far removed as all that, considering some of the crazy stuff that goes on in that show.
  • You know, I guess I'd rather have someone good at writing human drama. The Sci-Fi should be secondary to the characters.
    Seriously. I can't really think of a reason that Cowboy Bebop couldn't have been set in 1998, or 1898 for that matter, without much more than superficial changes.
  • I can't really think of a reason that Cowboy Bebop couldn't have been set in 1998, or 1898 for that matter, without much more than superficial changes.
    Steampunk Bebop fuck yeah!
  • The Sci-Fi and bounties were never really the focus of the show anyway. They were just the vehicle through which the characters interacted with each other.

I think someone who focused on drama and con-men is great for the show.

My only real deal-breaker is that they have to keep the original music.
  • Keep the original music, or get Yoko Kanno to make more.
    Those are both acceptable options. A third acceptable option would be if by some miracle they got new music that was just as good. The music is just such an important part of the show that if it isn't awesome, then the whole thing will fall flat.
    Those are both acceptable options. A third acceptable option would be if by some miracle they got new music that was just as good. The music is just such an important part of the show that if it isn't awesome, then the whole thing will fall flat.
    Seriously, there is a reason Bebop is in the title. The music is an integral part of the show. While the show could stand without it, the complete aesthetic would be lost without the Kanno's music (or its equivalent).
  • Yeah, I read the Peter Craig interview, and it hasn't wavered my opinion that it'll be good.

What I'd like is for someone to get an interview with Keanu Reeves, so we can get his side on the whole project. I think he'll do a good job, but its him many fans have a sceptical beef with. This would hopefully get them onside

I want to know why Keanu pushed the project and the process of doing so, convincing others that it would be good, how much and what anime he digs and would like to work on, besides Bebop.