This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080724 - Dinner Demise

13»

Comments

• Have you tried getting a programmable rice or pasta cooker? Fill it in the evening or morning, set the timer for when to start cooking. You get home just in time for freshly cooked grain product, and all you have to do is dump some sauce on it, wash the pot, prep it for the next night, and you're done. :) The rice cookers at least often have steam plate attachments too, so you could also probably steam some vegetables while the rice is cooking.
    I have Bread Maker-san and Rice Cooker-san who help me with dinner. If I tell them to, I can have lovely fresh bread or rice right when I come home. The bread maker was a hand-me-down from my pop, and the rice cooker was a luxury I decided to buy as I like to make Japanese, Indian, and Thai food.
  • edited July 2008
    The only good thing that comes out of a microwave is crispy bacon with all the excess fat drained out and no grease spitting.
    But that fat and grease is necessary for the second step of cooking bacon: frying eggs.
    WTF? You fry eggs in butter. Or so I was taught.
    Crispy bacon ftw. It's ok if the fat is a little bit chewy, but the meat part should have some significant crisp.
    *high five!*
    I have Bread Maker-san and Rice Cooker-san who help me with dinner.
    Dammit, you are so cute! *explodes*
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited July 2008
    The only good thing that comes out of a microwave is crispy bacon with all the excess fat drained out and no grease spitting.
    But that fat and grease is necessary for the second step of cooking bacon: frying eggs.
    WTF? You fry eggs in butter. Or so I was taught.

Both are animal fats, it's the difference in sweetness and saltiness, you can balance both by cooking the eggs in butter thus adding both flavor and sweetness to the mix to balance the overpowering saltiness of the bacon. Some people like to showcase the bacon itself and thus cook the eggs with the bacon fat and counter with some buttered toast or lightly sweetened breakfast tea to balance out the saltiness.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I try not to cook anything in butter or bacon fat as both are death in a solid/liquid form. I've substituted olive oil in most cases that normally call for butter with great results. The only side effect is it will give every thing a greenish tint. But eggs, rice, pasta, I use olice oil on all of it. I even deep fry things in it. I make an awesome breaded and fried pork chop with olive oil.
  • Deep frying with olive oil? do you crap money? dude, use Safflower, Canola or plain old Corn oil, all of them are cheaper and as good and have a higher smoke point too.

And there is nothing wrong with a bit of butter, on my eggs, some shortening on my biscuits, or some deep fried goodies, just don't over do it and live an active life.
  • Deep frying with olive oil? do you crap money? dude, use Safflower, Canola or plain old Corn oil, all of them are cheaper and as good and have a higher smoke point too.
    I buy it in large quantities and reuse the oil for a while. I get one of those gallon tins, and that's enough for around 3 months of cooking for me.
    And there is nothing wrong with a bit of butter, on my eggs, some shortening on my biscuits, or some deep fried goodies, just don't over do it and live an active life.
    For normal people yes, but my family has a history of high cholesterol that's already starting to manifest intself in me (I'm only 23). So I cut butter as much as possible to have a little bacon here and there.
  • Just to recommend a frozen dinner for you to try in your microwave-enabled home, try Kashi. They're amazing. I eat them when my wife is at school because it's always a pain to cook for one person and still stay on my diet. Thanks to these little tasties I've managed to loose 80 lbs and still indulge my yuppie pallet.