This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Dreamcast.

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
Ahhh… The Dreamcast. A next-gen system in the second gen era of videogame systems. Full 3D, Online play, Memory Card that were used as secondary screens as well as portable game systems, all Sega firsts. The Dreamcast also leaded the way with innovations such as:
  • The first console to support motion sensitive game play
  • The first karaoke video game
  • The first console to use speech recognition (I’m talkin to you “Hey You, Pikachu!” fans)
  • The first console to offer downloadable content
  • The first console to use an ethernet connection for online gameplay
  • The first console to offer cross-platform online gameplay
  • The first modern console to include a fully functional web browser.
I love the Dreamcast. It’s my favorite console and I would do just about anything to get my old one fixed or replaced. I once called the president of PlanetWeb, the makers of the PlanetWeb browser for the Dreamcast, to thank him for bringing PlanetWeb's servers back online. Along with my Sega Genesis and my PS2, I plan on keeping it to show my grandkids what gaming was like before mind-link interfaces.

Now, keeping that in mind, let me talk here about something I’m really excited about. Chankast. Its an emulator; A Dreamcast emulator. Needless to say I am all over this like white on rice. Lucky for me I used a Nexus card for my VMU. I'm playing Sonic Adventure 2, and it runs like butter.

Chankast

Comments

• The dreamcast doesn't get enough credit. Most people just think of it as a ps2 that was less powerful. It had many great games and if it had had a dvd player it may have not been put out of production by the ps2, and now we coulh have been playing on a new sega console right now. The dreamcast is also great for people who like to to homwbrew, since you don't have to mod it and just need to know how to burn cd's. I have a nintendo emulator for it and it works great.

P.S. Does Chankast support playing off of actual dreamcast cd's or do I have to download/make an iso?

• I love the Dreamcast. It’s my favorite console and I would do just about anything to get my old one fixed or replaced.
    I picked up one for £15/$30 not long ago. Just look in second hand shops. Just make sure it works before making the purchase.
  • edited July 2008
    Does Chankast support playing off of actual dreamcast cd's or do I have to download/make an iso?
    Well, okay, here's the deal with Dreamcast CDs.

They're not CD's. They're a proprietary format called GD-ROM (giga disc) which uses a higher areal density, disc speed, and the way the drive reads the disc to allow a little over a gigabyte of storage. It served a dual purpose. One was to allow more data on a disc, the second is to serve as copy protection, since only GD-Rom drives can read GD-Roms. There are technically ways to make a modern CD-ROM read a GD-ROM involving hacking the firmware of the drive and other methods like ignoring the discs TOC, but most discs were copied using either a coders cable or the rare and expensive broadband adapter for the Dreamcast.

Nowadays you can download ISO or CDI images of Dreamcast game off the internet using bittorrent. After you download it just mount the image using s program like Daemon Tools.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I loved my Dreamcast. I didn't really play that many games on it but the ones I did play I put some big hours into. I think my brother and I would have played nearly a thousand Virtua Tennis matches, and many a Virtual On dual. The controllers were rock solid, it looked rock solid, the games were fun, it had that little screen that I never got round to using...really it could have been the best console I owned had it not met an untimely demise. Thanks for reminding me of the good times I had with my Dreamcast (even without using half it's awesome features that you mentioned above).
  • As much as I love my DC and lament its early demise, the only games I ever owned for it were: Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Shenmue, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and Street Fighter III, and Crazy Taxi (although it was bootleg version.)
    What other games of note were there? There's a game store in Astor Place I go to every once in a while that has almost every game ever, does anyone have any suggestions for Dreamcast games?
  • Dreamcast was really ahead of its time, as was Sega at that point. It's too bad they couldn't stick it out.
  • This Dreamcast thread doesn't mention Chu Chu Rocket. You all suck.
  • That was a Dreamcast game? I only played the GBA one.
    That game was awesome, but I remember it used to give me a headache after a long session. The stress from an hour session a day would be enough to send anyone to an early grave. I can't believe I forgot this one! This is a game that needs to go to the Wii Virtual Console (like I am sure a million others).
  • If you want to hear a respectable review of the Dreamcast which really showed me how awesome the Dreamcast was (and still is), search The Gaming Historian Dreamcast and I think you'll all like it.

I never owned it in it's heyday, but I played it thousands of times at my friend's house every chance I got.
    This Dreamcast thread doesn't mention Chu Chu Rocket. You all suck.
    I just wanna say to you Scott. Skies of Arcadia = Best Dreamcast game eve... No contest
  • edited July 2008
    Chu Chu Rocket and Skies of Arcadia, Got it.

Oh shit. This torrent wont even fit on my hard drive. This has to be most if not all of the Dreamcast games released. I'll have to download a few, delete em, then download a few more.

Heh, Bittorrent is the Netflix of Dreamcasts.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Chu Chu Rocket and Skies of Arcadia, Got it.

Oh shit.This torrentwont even fit on my hard drive. This has to be most if not all of the Dreamcast games released. I'll have to download a few, delete em, then download a few more.

Heh, Bittorrent is the Netflix of Dreamcasts.
    uTorrent lets you selectively download.
  • If you want to hear a respectable review of the Dreamcast which really showed me how awesome the Dreamcast was (and still is), search The Gaming Historian Dreamcast and I think you'll all like it.
    Thanks for that. I really enjoyed watching the tale of the Dreamcast. I wish he had of covered more of the actual games but heck it went long enough as it was. Might have to poke around on ebay now.
  • Um, Power Stone. All of them.
  • uTorrent lets you selectively download.
    I know, that's what I use.
  • Um, Power Stone. All of them.
    I almost lost my faith in all of you, but Scott saved it.
    Um, Power Stone. All of them.
    You managed to mention the only games I think I'd still like to play today. I should bust out the 'ol DC.
  • You people talk yourselves up to be total Dreamcast fanboys, but you're obviously just posers. This thread doesn't even mention Soul Calibur or Mars Matrix at all. I neglected to say the magic Soul Calibur because I thought it was assumed. I never actually owned a Dreamcast, I only played them at anime club social nights. This thread is shameful.
  • Soul Calibur
    This is one of those games that was amazing then, but is done better now. I'd rather play the new versions today than the original but I certainly have some fine, fine memories.
  • Hey, I was downloading Soul Calibur while playing Sonic Adventure 2. Ivy is my fave.
  • My Dreamcast is still hooked up to the TV, I love that console. Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, Seaman, Tokyo Bus Guide, Samba de Amigo, PSO, Space Channel 5, etc...such a varied and high quality offering. The DC also makes me somewhat sad, as the last hurrah of the good old, highly inventive SEGA.

To the OP: You can find easily (and not for much money) used Dreamcasts on auction sites.
  • I still have my Dreamcast hooked up because Virtual On needs to be played.
  • I have a Dreamcast with a few games that I'm looking to sell. Anyone want?
  • I remember picking up my Dreamcast on launch day, man there were a lot of people at the EB that day.
    I would, but the lens on my Dreamcast has been worn out.
    I would, but the lens on my Dreamcast has been worn out.
    I'm looking to sell the Dreamcast with the games.
  • ...How much?
  • edited July 2008
    The Dreamcast includes the following:

Dreamcast Console
    2 Controllers (1 Sega, one 3rd party on which the analog stick is a bit wonky but works fine otherwise)
    2 memory cards (1 Sega, one 3rd party with multi-page memory capacity)
    Power cable
    Red/Yellow/White cable
    All of the following games:
    - Mars Matrix
    - Tech Romancer
    - Soul Calibur
    - Soul Reaver
    - Phantasy Star Online
    - Spec Ops: Omega Squad
    - Soldier of Fortune
    - Sonic Adventure
    - Zombie Revenge

Also, you'll need to pay shipping. No idea how much that would be, but I can find out this weekend-ish. It would also give me a good opportunity to try out paypal for the first time. I'm thinking $70 is a fair price for everything, but I'm also reasonable.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also have several PS2 games I'm selling, and a gamecube with a few choice games, and even some old PS1 games. I think I even have some PC games that I'm looking to sell as well.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited July 2008
    I saw a Echo the Dolphin game at the Half-Price Books, I picked it up and schooled some 8 year old who had a copy of madden 2000 something football on it. I was all like, "When I was your age I used to curse at this game. I didn't play no re-skinned football crap. "

All I gotta say is, poor Sega, they tried so hard.

edit: oh wait, Echo was on the Genesis. Never mind.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Shenmue, Seaman, Space Channel 5, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure games (the last Sonic games to not be a total waste of time), Jet Grind Radio...yeah man, the DC days were good times.