This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

x site was killed for me because of x reason

edited July 2008 in Technology
What websites were killed for you and for what reasons? For me personally, Digg was killed for me because of the illogical amount of diggs that meaningless posts would get. I once saw a post that got over 300 diggs on a distro release page on distrowatch.

Comments

• Mahq forum, the forum turned to f-ing around with all the damn moderators, Every time i posted, they told me that I posted in the wrong place and didn't redirect me. After a month, BAM! I was outta there.
    and 4chan, it's very existence ruins the rest of the net.
  • edited July 2008
    4chan, it's very existence ruins the rest of the net.
    I'm curious as to whether you've been on any board aside from /b/ for more than five seconds.

Penny Arcade: It's not funny. Perhaps that's an overstatement, but aside from the rare gut buster, there were few lulz to be had.
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • edited July 2008
    Morio kun:
    I hope you realize that since 4chan started, 99.99% of internet fads, memes, or huge things that break out into the mainstream (lolcats, anyone?) originated from it. I'm not so sure what the net would be like without it (I guess what the net was like 5 years ago). I think people who hate 4chan are either uptight/close minded or don't have a good sense of humor, or just look at /b/ and none of the other boards on there. The wallpaper boards are stunning.

Anyhow...Nintendo forums, because mods were dicks and admins had their heads up there asses.
    Gaia, ruined less than a week after I joined. They moved all of my threads to the chatterbox, and most of the real threads were of absolute shit quality, far worse than anything on 4chan. You think college kids on 4chan talking about drugs is bad? Try 13 year olds talking about drugs, sex, and anime pairings. That was my week long Gaia experience.
    Kotaku, because 60 posts per day was getting ridiculous.
    A lot of webcomics because they got shitty.
    YTMND, because I realized all of it was stuff stolen from 4chan and then had audio added to it.

I have tons more, will finish when I can remember any.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Morio kun:
    I hope you realize that since 4chan started, 99.99% of internet fads, memes, or huge things that break out into the mainstream (lolcats, anyone?) originated from it. I'm not so sure what the net would be like without it (I guess what the net was like 5 years ago). I think people who hate 4chan are either uptight/close minded or don't have a good sense of humor, or just look at /b/ and none of the other boards on there. The wallpaper boards are stunning.
    If nothing else, 4chan's /b/ board has dulled me against the dark the internet can create.

Yahoo was killed for me because of Google...in 2001.
  • Dogpile by Google, Offtopic by the subscription service, eBay by Kijiji, Hotmail by GMail, Geocities by Notepad... ~_^
  • MegaTokyo. The comic rapidly became un-funny and uninteristing, and after a while even the once bustling art-forum there became an incestuous mastibatory love fest free of any negative crit of even the poorest artist.
  • Hey, There's something to be said of sad girls in the snow.
  • You mean this?
  • 4chan's boards have their moments. To dismiss everything on 4chan, based on the easily ignorable /b/ board, is kinda like dismissing everything on this board based on the flamewars category.
  • The wallpaper boards are stunning.
    Word. 4chan's an image board. You can find the greatest art on there.
    4chan's boards have their moments.
    Case in point, the 4chanarchive.

As for the topic:
    Hotmail died because of Gmail. The rest is also repetition of what has been said.
  • Morio kun:

Anyhow...Nintendo forums, because mods were dicks and admins had their heads up there asses.
    Gaia, ruined less than a week after I joined. They moved all of my threads to the chatterbox, and most of the real threads were of absolute shit quality, far worse than anything on 4chan. You think college kids on 4chan talking about drugs is bad? Try 13 year olds talking about drugs, sex, and anime pairings. That was my week long Gaia experience.
    Kotaku, because 60 posts per day was getting ridiculous.
    A lot of webcomics because they got shitty.
    YTMND, because I realized all of it was stuff stolen from 4chan and then had audio added to it.

I have tons more, will finish when I can remember any.
    True, but then there's the horror.
  • Yahoo died because of Google.
    Digg died because it started to suck.
    Ctrl Alt Del died because the comic sucks.
    Otaku Booty is filled with "the cool hipster geeks" and are generally bastards.
    Gaia died when I grew up in 2003 ish
    Neopets died somewhere in 2002 from Gaia.
    4chan will never die!
  • edited July 2008
    Hey, There's something to be said of sad girls in the snow.
    Yes, and I just said it. :)
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • edited July 2008
    You meanthis?
    Crap, I was just kidding, but...damd, So many cute sad girls in snow! Piro must live on that board.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I have been going to waka-chan a lot. They have cute pictures like that.
  • waka-chan
    Very yes.
  • I have been going to waka-chan a lot. They have cute pictures like that.
    I, too, hit up the Wakachan once a week. Generally /gainax/ and /haruhi/. /azu/ got taken down, tho. D:
  • edited July 2008
    No surprise, but I have the /os/ board in my faves.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • [img]
    I just saw that image there a minute ago! And there are better versions of female TF2.
  • Yeah, I know. Still *saved*.
  • edited July 2008
    I thought I invented Moe~!TF2 a year ago, but then I saw that picture on waka a few weeks ago, and was like "Aww man!" Those are Russia-tans cosplaying as TF2 characters, right? Where are the others, the better ones? Mine were all Moe girls: The Spy, instead of a suit, she was wearing a blazer based school uniform and chewing on a pocky instead of a cigarette, the mechanic looked like a cross between ReiAyanami/Minami-chan, and the demo was a black scottish tsundere with twin braids!

Edit: I lie, it was actually UglyFred's Idea. I just ran with it.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited July 2008
    Oh, and I guess I could say that any wallpaper resource I ever used was killed by 4chan's /w/ and /wg/ boards and the 4scrape, which basically indexes /w/ and /wg/
    Post edited by Dkong on
    edited July 2008
    4scrape
    *bookmarks* Never heard of that one. Perhaps I should lurk /w/ and /wg/ moremoar.

EDIT: I'm in love.
    EDIT2: That makes me falling in love twice today. Once because of 4scrape, and once because of Love.
    Post edited by ... on