This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Japanese Snacks

To celebrate that I bought a shell-full of Koala snacks, I want to talk about various Chinese/Japanese snacks that the forum enjoys, or snacks in general.

Delicious.

Comments

• I don't eat Koalas anymore because they are loaded with trans fat. Instead, I eat the Mountain Mushrooms.
  • edited July 2008
    Pocky. Specifically, Decora Pocky. I ate this mango tasting type before. I also love original, coconut chocolate ( I only found it in 02 and never again), milk, strawberry, mens, and the fancy looking ones.

I like this brand of gummi candy that I don't know that name of. I call it 100 gummi because it has 100 on the bag. The muscat one is the best!

I hate those koalas.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited July 2008
    Link please, Google only shows mushroom websites.

I love the men Pocky, bitter chocolate FTW.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited July 2008
    Is that just a cookie with chocolate on top?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Hapi Mixed Crackers, Pocky (chocolate, strawberry, mousse), and White Rabbit candy to name a few from the top of my head.
  • Is that just a cookie with chocolate on top?
    Yes. The Koala isn't much different. It's a hollow cookie in the shape of a koala with chocolate injected into the middle.
    THOSE! I ate those at Anime USA! AWESOME!
  • Is that just a cookie with chocolate on top?
    Yes. The Koala isn't much different. It's a hollow cookie in the shape of a koala with chocolate injected into the middle.
    That's funny , all ours are made of meat.
  • I think one of my favorites is the little green tea chocolate squares. They had a limited edition Kit Kat bar that had green choco on the outside and azuki bean cookie on the inside. Omg, so yum. Also, I like fried senbei crackers, mango pocky, stuff like that.
  • I used to like paki before I started exercising/eating healthier. Other than that, I am not very educated in the area of Japanese snacks.
  • I used to like paki before I started exercising/eating healthier. Other than that, I am not very educated in the area of Japanese snacks.
    Obviously because you didn't spell Pocky properly.
  • The only Pocky worth eating are the coconut-chocolate kind.

I've always been unimpressed with the Japanese snacks that make it here to the States. Your typical 7-11 in Japan is full of some AMAZING snacks, yet we see the same old junk here.
  • I've always been unimpressed with the Japanese snacks that make it here to the States. Your typical 7-11 in Japan is full of some AMAZING snacks, yet we see the same old junk here.
    That's because most americans will be afraid of the snacks that aren't fruit, chocolate, or cookie based. I'm surprised the wasabi peas have made it to the US, even though I personally don't like them.
  • That's because most americans will be afraid of the snacks that aren't fruit, chocolate, or cookie based. I'm surprised the wasabi peas have made it to the US, even though I personally don't like them.
    BUT BUT BUT Wasabi peas are awesome, well to me it is, it's "refreshing".
  • I loves me some Strawberry Pocky, it tastes like a strawberry milkshake.
  • That's because most americans will be afraid of the snacks that aren't fruit, chocolate, or cookie based. I'm surprised the wasabi peas have made it to the US, even though I personally don't like them.
    BUT BUT BUT Wasabi peas are awesome, well to me it is, it's "refreshing".
    My aunt uses them to clear the pipes. I just love wasabi on sushi! My first time was a fail though.
  • Fun fact: most of the so-called wasabi you get in the US isn't actually wasabi from a wasabi plant. It's imitation wasabi made from horse radish and such. Think of it as being similar to the imitation crab stick used in many sushi.
  • edited July 2008
    We're always getting screwed here in the States. Our cinnamon is that Cassia crap - and now you tell me that our wasabi is fake?!!?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Fun fact: most of the so-called wasabi you get in the US isn't actually wasabi from a wasabi plant. It's imitation wasabi made from horse radish and such. Think of it as being similar to the imitation crab stick used in many sushi.
    That is interesting. Source?
  • That is interesting. Source?
    It's common knowledge. Most people in the US have never actually eaten Wasabi.
  • edited July 2008
    That is interesting. Source?
    It's common knowledge. Most people in the US have never actually eaten Wasabi.
    I am interested in the specifics - not questioning the statement, and I am not so sure that you claim of "common knowledge" applies in this case. Is there an article or an Alton Brown episode on it?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • The specifics thanks to Google.
  • Is there an article or an Alton Brown episode on it?
    Wikipedia explains it well enough.
  • When dining and served wasabi with your sushi, the wasabi you are served is not always what it seems. Due to a high demand and limited supply, what is often served with your sushi is a mix of American horseradish, mustard and coloring, which the Japanese call seiyō wasabi (“western wasabi”). This is because real wasabi can be hard to find or very expensive outside Japan (up to $100/lb). Wasabi is also sometimes powdered and reconstituted with water, and while this is sometimes served as well, the volatile compounds that make wasabi so unique are lost when the rhizome is powdered, so what you end up is an inferior product (which too is often mixed with American horseradish). If you would like to be sure what you have, you can ask your wait staff if what you are served is 'real wasabi' or 'fresh wasabi' and if not, if it is available. If you are served putty, more than likely it is not real. Real wasabi is grated (traditionally on a sharkskin grater called an oroshi) and looks as such. Fake wasabi is not and does not. Just ask your wait staff for 'fresh wasabi' and if they have the real thing, they will usually return with a dish with a grated pile of the real thing, which is a very different experience from fake wasabi. If you are buying wasabi in store, read the label to determine if you have real wasabi or something else.
    So it is available, just expensive. I might seek out and pay the price for real wasabi sometime. I hate horseradish, and therefore hate the "wasabi" that is more commonly available.
  • So it is available, just expensive. I might seek out and pay the price for real wasabi sometime.
    Honestly, I prefer the fake Wasabi. It has a lot more bite.
  • I hate horseradish, and therefore hate the "wasabi" that is more commonly available.
    Then you wouldn't like wasabi. I've had real wasabi and it is still a spicy radish. (I like horseradish a lot.)
  • You people with your horseradish and cilantro.... it tastes like burning. I do like other radishes, though.
  • edited July 2008
    You people with your horseradish and cilantro.
    Cilantro does not burn, at least for myself. At first I did not like it, but now I adore it, especially the smell.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
    I feel betrayed. *cries*