This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Virtualbox

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
I'm installing this on one of my laptops. I want to see if I can use it to run Opensolaris on this machine.

Comments

• I've had good experiences with Virtualbox. Its a good free VM software.
  • It's a pain in the ass, I used to play around with Linux. It was terrible. I was using the server beta.
  • It's my VM of choice. VMware player is utter BS, you have to pay to really be able to make VMs easily.
    It's a pain in the ass, I used to play around with Linux. It was terrible. I was using the server beta.
    ??? I run my Windows Server in a virtual machine and it's been running for weeks without issue.
  • For my next machine I want to have a windows and linux screen running at the same time, would you recommend Virtualbox for that kind of thing?
  • Which one is going to be the host OS?
  • VMWare is the way to go for desktop virtualization. Especially if you have a Mac, VMWare Fusion is the win. However, for server virtualization, Xen is really where it's at these days. If you want to learn something useful, go for Xen.
  • VMWare may be the best, but Virtualbox is free.
  • edited July 2008
    I my boss' VMware is crashing all the times these days, while my virtualbox continues to run without a hitch.
    Post edited by George Patches on
    VMWare Player is free.
    VMWare Player is free.
    but making VMwares for free is a pain.
  • I have 2.5 GB of ram but only a 1.6gHz AMD Sempron (laptop). Will I be able to get away with virtualizing windows in Ubuntu?
  • Probably not.
  • edited July 2008
    I have 2.5 GB of ram but only a 1.6gHz AMD Sempron (laptop). Will I be able to get away with virtualizing windows in Ubuntu?
    XP or Vista? 2.5 GBs should be plenty for either actually.

What do you want to do with this computer? Cause you might be better of virtualizing Ubuntu in Windows, depends on what your goals are.
    Probably not.
    Why not? XP only needs 512MB to do most of what you need and Vista really only needs 1GB.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited July 2008
    Its more the processor I'm worried about. A 1.6ghz single core processor isn't going to cut it.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Its more the processor I'm worried about.
    Nah, been there, done that, it's really not too bad. I ran my virtual server on a 1.8 sempron for a long time, and I had two VMs going. When you remoted into the server you could never tell it wasn't it's own machine, just as snappy as anything else. Of course it depends on what you're doing, if you're trying to calculate the cure to cancer in your virtual machine it's gonna bog things down a bit. But for the average home user who wants to play with VMs, it's ram more than processor power that you need.
  • but making VMwares for free is a pain.
    It's a piece of cake. Google will send you to a bunch of tutorials.
  • I think most of my issues were me being stupid or lack of ram. 1gb isn't enough for anything these days.
  • I think most of my issues were me being stupid or lack of ram. 1gb isn't enough for anything these days.
    Fortunately 2GB can be had for around $50 now.
  • 1gb isn't enough for anything these days.
    It's enough for most things actually. In the case of virtualization, having more than 1 gigabyte of RAM does speed things up, but 1 GB alone is enough though.
  • In Ubuntu with all my usual apps open I only use about 750mb and the rest goes to disk cache (which means Firefox loads so fast).
    Fortunately 2GB can be had for around $50 now.
    Unfortunately, the dictator of my house and computer doesn't think I need more RAM.