This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080728 - The Surrogates

edited July 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss The Surrogates from Top Shelf. In the news, we're doing lots of panels at ConnectiCon, Otakon, PAX, and some other conventions. Also, Viz is bringing more Urasawa, and Neil is writing some Batman.

Scott's Thing - Mainichi Apologizes
Rym's Thing - Not AMVs, JMVs!

Comments

• So now it's revealed that Scott lost his nuts. XD
  • edited July 2008
    Let's see... I like Eva, but it did popularize the whiny robot pilot. Shinji has reasons to be whiny, but who wants to see a robo-jock crying about his job?

As far as animation quality, not story depth, goes, take a look at Last Exile. It was a quantum leap in quality. ... Of course, it's due to being new and having a much higher budget, but I think you're overlooking a lot of flaws due to a love of the subject matter.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited July 2008
    I really liked Eva, but really dislike is the people who read too much into it. But, that's just bad luck I guess.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The biggest complaint I've heard against Eva I've seen is that the characters are emo.
    But this is coming from people who like their mecha anime to have people standing on things while the wind whips through their hair and they give an epic speech about truth, justice, and love.
  • I really liked Eva, but really dislike is the people who read too much into it. But,that's just bad luck I guess.
    What's reading too much into it? There's a lot to read there. If you don't read into it a lot, you are missing most of the show.
  • I really liked Eva, but really dislike is the people who read too much into it. But,that's just bad luck I guess.
    What's reading too much into it? There's a lot to read there. If you don't read into it a lot, you are missing most of the show.
    The anime scene down here (or at least the ones that I've met) its like: "Yeah, and of course you got the use of the red on the vending machine in the background as a symbolism for the blood shed with the atom bomb and how humanity is loosing itself in.... blah, blah", Its a fucking coke machine, ITS RED!! (this is obviously made up, as I can't really recall a concrete example as I haven't seen the series in a while or talked about it).

I know there is symbolism all over the place, and you really have to put your attention to it, and as Lain, you pick up something new every time you re-watch it.

And its something that only happens with Lain and Eva, at least to my experience.
  • And its something that only happens with Lain and Eva, at least to my experience.
    No, it pretty much happens in every single well written narrative work of art to ever exist.
  • I enjoyed this episode but I do have qualms about the News of Neil Gaiman doing Batman, or rather the piss poor attempt at doing funny whilst news announcing. I mean seriously guys, I'm cool with you joking around and such, but it's not cool if your only going to half ass the giving of information.
    And its something that only happens with Lain and Eva, at least to my experience.
    No, it pretty much happens in every single well written narrative work of art to ever exist.
    That may be but there's some assholes who think it exists in the flipin' pencil shavings in the initial sketches. There's a severity of degrees here.
  • Naoki Urasawa is awesome and everyone should read 20 Century Boys :D
  • Naoki Urasawa is awesome and everyone should read 20 Century Boys :D
    Yes they should, or forever be an enemy of Friend.
  • I got The Surrogates on your recommendation and really loved it! I loved how it explored the consequences of the surries and the counter culture they created. I liked that it was a short read. I know there are good comics out there but most of them seem fairly intimidating to me in their length and financial commitment so I stick to trades and whatnot.

Do you know any more comics that are like this?
  • The Surrogates sounds very similar to the book "Kiln People".
  • It's not much, but one early photograph from the Surrogates movie has surfaced. That's a nice beard there, Bruce: http://www.cinematical.com/photos/the-surrogates/1231419/
  • It's not much, but one early photograph from the Surrogates movie has surfaced. That's a nice beard there, Bruce:http://www.cinematical.com/photos/the-surrogates/1231419/
    Wow, in their old age, Bruce Willis and Peter Gabriel are starting to look alike.
  • edited May 2009
    Preview footage from the movie:

To the people who have read the comic already (I just put the book on order after this video reminded me of it), how does the look of this compare, would you say?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Hulu's got the trailer for the movie now. I dunno if it's the same trailer as Eryn's post, as it's been taken down.
  • It has? Damn it. *goes to fix*

There we go. And no, I don't think the video I posted and the trailer are the same (though the featurette does have most of the footage from the trailer in it).
  • Looks awesome.