This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Astro Boy - The Movie

2»

Comments

• Atlas is my man. Skunk is all right, but Astro should have murdered him ages ago.
    Atlas, fuck yeah! Every other villain in Astroboy pales by comparison but they're okay, I guess. But Atlas! ATLAS! And Livian. T_T
    Which one? The 1980's Atlas or the 2K3 Atlas? For me, it would be the '80s Atlas because he looks more like Astro and is therefore a better parallel to Astro. The 2K3 Atlas is all right, but he is way too much of a departure from the awesome Atlas of the '80s.
    1980s, duh. 2k3 Atlas was a wuss. Also 2003's Blue Knight was totally 1980s Atlas but, um, infinitely not as good. Why in the world they changed the characters names and roles around like that mystifies me.

Man, 1980s Atlas just had a rocking design and a rockin' (not stupid) plan to take over the woooooorld from his also rockin' crystal palace (!!!). He also had a good ending! Ugh, yet he is allowed to be forgotten by newer Astroboy productions. I cannot understand why.

Makube Rock was also a great Tezuka villain. I was happy they used him in the 2003 series at least. Had his powers from Vampire and everything. That was kinda weird but whatever.
  • I honestly wish someone would fucking well fan sub Astroboy 2k3 already. Sony's never going to release that was it was meant to be released so...
  • So, here is the latest trailer. It looks good so far.
  • edited April 2009
    Having never seen or read any Astro-Boy, I don't know, but I'll bet he never popped out any arm cannons and said "Oh, cool!"

The CG looks kinda crap. I wish they'd done it in 2D. Very few have ever pulled off human characters in CG well. And I wish everyone didn't insist on using film stars as voice actors for animation. They're not generally very good at it.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Having never seen or read any Astro-Boy, I don't know, but I'll bet he never popped out any arm cannons and said "Oh, cool!"
    They aren't cannons, they are rockets, just like the ones in his feet. He has always had them. However, Astro Boy was never amazed by his powers. It seems like every superhero origin story needs to have that scene where the hero discovers their own powers, so the viewer also has a chance to discover them. The original Astro Boy didn't have it, though.
    And I wish everyone didn't insist on using film stars as voice actors for animation. They're not generally very good at it.
    I agree.
  • Having never seen or read any Astro-Boy, I don't know, but I'll bet he never popped out any arm cannons and said "Oh, cool!"
    They aren't cannons, they are rockets, just like the ones in his feet. He has always had them. However, Astro Boy was never amazed by his powers. It seems like every superhero origin story needs to have that scene where the hero discovers their own powers, so the viewer also has a chance to discover them. The original Astro Boy didn't have it, though.
    And I wish everyone didn't insist on using film stars as voice actors for animation. They're not generally very good at it.
    I agree.
    What about the Disney dubs of the Miyazaki movies? They have stars in them and they do pretty well, you even said as much Scott.
  • What about the Disney dubs of the Miyazaki movies? They have stars in them and they do pretty well, you even said as much Scott.
    They're not bad -- they're a hell of a lot better than most anime dubs. But they'd be better if they gave those jobs to talented voice-actors with a lot of experience overdubbing animation, who understand that acting for a cartoon character is different than acting onscreen or onstage. Film actors tend to give somewhat flat performances in animation. I understand that they only do it because they can create more interest with Jack Black or Angelina Jolie on the credits. I know it's all business. Doesn't mean it doesn't suck a little.
  • The Disney Miyazaki dubs are good, but not great. If you've got someone who is a subtitle-refuser, or just someone who will be more open to enjoying the movie with a dub, go ahead and watch it. However, if you actually care, the subtitled versions of these movies are far superior. This is not just for the acting, but also for the content, e.g: Spirited Away "Haku, is that you?"
  • If the new Astro Boy does well enough to warrant an option for a sequel to be made, I would like it to be called one of these two names.
    Astro Boy 2: Rise of Pluto or Astro Boy 2: Atlas Shrugged.
  • I didn't see too much any punching of anything in that trailer.
    Plus now he has to wear a blue top and jeans as his hero outfit?
    CG could have been superior however I will still see the film to see how it works out.
  • I didn't seetoo muchany punching of anything in that trailer.
    what about when he dug under ground? He needed to punch a bit to separate the soil.
  • I didn't seetoo muchany punching of anything in that trailer.
    what about when he dug under ground? He needed to punch a bit to separate the soil.
    I stand corrected, however I was hoping to see him punch his way through a 50 metre tall robot or something along those lines.
  • Well...I just found out something that amazed me, and I don't know whether to feel happy or sad. I have found out that somewhere in the film, Samuel L. "motherfuckin" Jackson will make an appearance in this film as a cameo. After seeing him in the very well done Afro Samurai, I feel good about this if the self-proclaimed manga and anime fan will do something in this film. But on the opposite end of this discovery, I'm worried that this is a boat in which celebrities will jump onto just to get their appearance in the film. I don't know, I'm real divided on the issue. Nevertheless, I'm still excited about this movie and I expect it will be either pretty good or passable.
  • edited August 2009
    A more full version of the trailer just debuted online today. Colour me dubious. The only parts that made me really smile were 1) the promise that Astro will spend at least one action scene in his traditional underpants-and-boots-only design, and 2) the fact that they did indeed work in his butt guns. The rest just doesn't really seem in the spirit of Astro Boy; it comes across as just another CGI kids' movie with not much special about it. :/

Post edited by Eryn on
  • Did everyone else see Osamu Tezuka in the trailer?
  • I am sorry Eryn but I see Osamu Tezuka spirit all over the place. Read some of the manga, funny crazy lines are all over the place on the manga.
    I really can't wait :D
    Did everyone else see Osamu Tezuka in the trailer?
    YES!
  • I am sorry Eryn but I see Osamu Tezuka spirit all over the place. Read some of the manga, funny crazy lines are all over the place on the manga.
    I really can't wait :D
    Did everyone else see Osamu Tezuka in the trailer?
    YES!
    I know right! Why haven't people read this manga yet? It's readily available, is a part of manga history, and is just awesome to read. If people have, then they would know as it is perfectly faithful to Tezuka's manga.
  • Maybe I'm just being thrown off by Freddie Highmore's half-broken voice, then. XD
  • A more full version of the trailer just debuted online today. Colour me dubious. The only parts that made me really smile were 1) the promise that Astro will spend at least one action scene in his traditional underpants-and-boots-only design, and 2) the fact that they did indeed work in his butt guns. The rest just doesn't really seem in the spirit of Astro Boy; it comes across as just another CGI kids' movie with not much special about it. :/

Very much agreed. Not to mention that Nicholas Cage is sounding just like Nicholas Cage. And I don't really get why a girl has to be involved. I don't know anything about Astro Boy, but focusing on this rag-tag group of people led by this girl defeats the point of having an Astro Boy movie.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2009
    A more full version of the trailer just debuted online today. Colour me dubious. The only parts that made me really smile were 1) the promise that Astro will spend at least one action scene in his traditional underpants-and-boots-only design, and 2) the fact that they did indeed work in his butt guns. The rest just doesn't really seem in the spirit of Astro Boy; it comes across as just another CGI kids' movie with not much special about it. :/

Very much agreed. Not to mention that Nicholas Cage is sounding just like Nicholas Cage. And I don't really get why a girl has to be involved. I don't know anything about Astro Boy, but focusing on this rag-tag group of people led by this girl defeats the point of having an Astro Boy movie.
    If you just said you don't know anything about Astro Boy, then why did you make a claim immediately after it? I see that as an invalid argument. While it's true that there hasn't been a girl leader in Astro Boy that was major to either the manga or the 80s anime, girls are VERY integral to the story. Just look at Uran, she is a major character and yet she is a girl (sorta).
    Post edited by Geo on
  • A more full version of the trailer just debuted online today. Colour me dubious. The only parts that made me really smile were 1) the promise that Astro will spend at least one action scene in his traditional underpants-and-boots-only design, and 2) the fact that they did indeed work in his butt guns. The rest just doesn't really seem in the spirit of Astro Boy; it comes across as just another CGI kids' movie with not much special about it. :/

If you just said you don't know anything about Astro Boy, then why did you make a claim immediately after it? I see that as an invalid argument. While it's true that there hasn't been a girl leader in Astro Boy that was major to either the manga or the 80s anime, girls are VERY integral to the story. Just look at Uran, she is a major character and yet she is a girl (sorta).
    Well, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong about this, because I will accept that I know nothing about the show.

However, I feel like with this movie, along with other kids movies, that they are going to have crowbar other things that are completely unrelated from Astro Boy himself to try and appeal to everyone. After all, if it's an Astro Boy movie, then it needs to focus on Astro Boy and the trailer doesn't really seem to reflect that. It feels like it's gonna have add in this stuff about this girl to get girls into the movie. And while I can't defend for that, I can at least defend my claim that the voice-acting seems sub-par.

I mean, many of us can name other big summer movies or movies based on popular franchises that mis-use the title character. A good example would be with Transformers 2. We spend more time with Mudflap and Skids than with Optimus Prime.

Well, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong about this, because I will accept that I know nothing about the show.

However, I feel like with this movie, along with other kids movies, that they are going to have crowbar other things that are completely unrelated from Astro Boy himself to try and appeal to everyone. After all, if it's an Astro Boy movie, then it needs to focus on Astro Boy and the trailer doesn't really seem to reflect that. It feels like it's gonna have add in this stuff about this girl to get girls into the movie. And while I can't defend for that, I can at least defend my claim that the voice-acting seems sub-par.

I mean, many of us can name other big summer movies or movies based on popular franchises that mis-use the title character. A good example would be with Transformers 2. We spend more time with Mudflap and Skids than with Optimus Prime.
    Ok, time to put it my two cents. The movie so far looks good, my only thing is that the cannon arm looks too big. I am pretty sure the girl (who is suppose to be 17) have the role of an older sister for Astro, though I was hoping for her character design to look more like Saphire from Princess Knight.
    But I can understand your opinion since you do not know much about Astroboy or Tezuka. I would recommend to read the manga and then re-watch it again. I am pretty sure you will be surprise of how promising this thing really is :P
  • Here is the first review for the movie.

I will watch it if only because is Astro Boy, hell I will take all my little cousins :P