This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things that attract arrogant people

edited July 2008 in Everything Else
What activities do you find attract the most obnoxiously arrogant people?

I'll give two examples.

1) Haiku
I just heard a radio interview with a Haiku writer. He claimed that he would be "lucky" if he was able to write 1 or 2 good haikus in his lifetime. He then went on to read just one haiku, so it is presumably his best to date. Here it is:
The fish.
Translucent.
In the crest of a wave.

What the hell is so good about that? Couldn't anyone write something just as good?
Haiku is nice and all, but to think that it's some magical art form is just absurd.

2) Wine
Honestly. Can you really tell that a wine has "hints of raspberries, currants and melon?" And why the hell would it have those hints if those items were never even near the grapes or the barrels?
Wine is a joke. No doubt, there is cheap wine that tastes like crap. However, people take this to the extreme, and claim that their pallet is more sensitive than is humanly possible. And why? What's the point? Are you so conceited that you can't enjoy a $20 bottle of wine? You're so good that you will only drink a $100 bottle of wine? Give me a break.
This book about the subject has always appealed to me. I just may order it.

Comments

• With wine you can have those hints of flavors, much like you can in other foods and beverages. By combining other flavors you can create a different flavor, for example charred oak barrels tend to give a wine a vanilla flavor.

I'm no wine person really, but I agree it can be kind of ridiculous. Like a lot of things people think that more expensive is better, but that's not really true of course.
  • Yeah, wine is really tricky, cause you get passed the shitty $5 bottles, it's all up in the air. I've had some very expensive bottles that were awesome, but I've also had $10-15 bottle that were great as well.
  • Yeah, wine is really tricky, because once you get pastpassed the shitty $5 bottles, it's all up in the air. I've had some very expensive bottles that were awesome, but I've also had $10-15 bottles that were great as well.
  • for example charred oak barrels tend to give a wine a vanilla flavor.
    How is this possible? Are you saying that charred oak tastes like vanilla? I've never understood this.
  • Well, the only way people can really describe some sensations, tastes in particular, is by likening them to other, more familiar ones. It's subjective, but not completely.
  • Organic food stores tend to attract some pretty arrogant people.
  • How is this possible? Are you saying that charred oak tasteslikevanilla? I've never understood this.
    All I can say is that it tastes like vanilla. Now, if they were somehow to get that exact same flavor with a chemical (such as vanilla) instead of a lengthy aging process, then more power to them.
  • for example charred oak barrels tend to give a wine a vanilla flavor.
    How is this possible? Are you saying that charred oak tasteslikevanilla? I've never understood this.
    It's all chemical reactions. If you look at chlorine gas and sodium metal it's hard to imagine they together make salt.
  • The Catholic Church attracts many arrogant people. Where else could you be a misogynist and get away with it?
  • The Catholic Church attracts many arrogant people. Where else could you be a misogynist and get away with it?
    The other two major religons. :/
  • Apple products.
    Vinyl records.
    Rym and Scott.
  • Rym and Scott.
    Rym and Scott is an activity? Mmm, well they are certainly an experience, that's for sure.
  • Vinyl records.
    Especially... There is absolutely no reason to use a vinyl record in this day and age. They have zero advantages and several problems.
  • Vinyl records.
    Especially... There is absolutely no reason to use a vinyl record in this day and age. They have zero advantages and several problems.
    But they sound better...or so I've been told. Personally I'm good with a 256+ kbps MP3.
  • Player-versus-player combat in ANY MMO.
  • But they sound better...or so I've been told. Personally I'm good with a 256+ kbps MP3.
    You've been told wrong.
  • But they sound better...or so I've been told. Personally I'm good with a 256+ kbps MP3.
    You've been told wrong.
    I know.
  • I think he was being sarcastic, Although I do enjoy listening to a Miles Davis record every once in a while.
  • edited July 2008
    They sound different, not better, the sound is kinda modulated due to the irregularities in the vinyl itself.

As for the topic:
    -Anime
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Yeah. It doesn't sound better, but to me the sound of a vinyl record is enjoyable.
  • 4chan/iiChan
    Anime/manga
  • Anime/manga
    What? All of it?
  • Anime/manga
    What? All of it?
    I'm not saying that all anime/manga fans are arrogant. I'm saying that anime/manga attracts a goodly amount of arrogant people.
  • Anime/manga
    What? All of it?
    More like the posers and connoisseur that scoff at you if you haven't seen the super obscure anime in original language with no subs (because if you really want to experience anime, you should learn japanese and live in Japan for several years as they have since they went there as exchange students or some crap like that, to fully understand the socio/economic underline)
  • edited July 2008
    A lot of Atheists can be arrogant douche bags. I understand arguing against religion, but some people seem to have a huge stick up their ass about it. Sometimes to the point that they alienate Christians as much as arrogant Christians alienate them.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • That's why I follow the Live and Let Live policy when it come to religious people. What your beliefs are is your business; Don't push them on me, and I'll do the same.
  • Abstract art.
  • Yeah. It doesn't sound better, but to me the sound of a vinyl record is enjoyable.
    You can run a filter on any digital song to get the same effect.
    More like the posers and connoisseur that scoff at you if you haven't seen the super obscure anime in original language with no subs (because if you really want to experience anime, you should learn japanese and live in Japan for several years as they have since they went there as exchange students or some crap like that, to fully understand the socio/economic underline)
    I'm dubious as to how common people like that are.
    A lot of Atheists can be arrogant douche bags.
    I think there's a common association of people who are right about something with people who are arrogant. No one wants to hear "I told you so," and they tend to resent anyone who knows something they don't. Assholes or not, atheists are right, and I think a lot of people perceive normal, expected, intellectual criticism of their (or any) ideas as somehow becoming arrogant the moment the concern religion.
  • Haha, yeah.

This forum. I mean, I'm here, aren't I?
  • edited July 2008
    The Subaru STi. Every guy (and the occasional girl) I've met who drives one is an arrogant prick who thinks he has the fastest and greatest car ever made.
    Post edited by George Patches on