This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Skype Problem

Hey guys. I wanted to get in on the Geekchat tonight, but I'm having a problem with Skype. If anyone could help, I'd be grateful! I am a Windows Vista user.

The issue is this: I can't connect to Skype. I put in my name and password, but when it goes to log in, it just sits there forever trying to connect. It doesn't succeed, and then somehow Firefox/loading webpages and AIM also stop working. Please note that I have tried:

- Closing and re-opening Skype
- Installing the latest Skype version
- Rebooting
- Reconnecting to the internet
- Resetting my router
- Ensuring that my firewall has not blocked it

Beyond these things, the Skype help FAQ and troubleshooter are frustratingly unhelpful. Any ideas?

Comments

• Do you have Anti-Virus software or a Firewall that is preventing Skype from connecting to the internet? I doubt it would be your router, if you have one, since I had no troubles on that front. Good luck though, hopefully you get a fix.
  • Do you have Anti-Virus software or a Firewall that is preventing Skype from connecting to the internet? I doubt it would be your router, if you have one, since I had no troubles on that front. Good luck though, hopefully you get a fix.
    I checked both my anti-virus and my firewall; neither is impeding Skype.
  • I'd just like to chime in but I can't connect to the chat hosted by Linkigi even though I was able to connect to the one hosted by [name begins with Pi or Po..] just fine.
    It just rings off instantly registering a call duration of 0:01.
  • I fixed my problem. Use Internet Explorer.
  • I bumped this because it looked like the best place to put it.

Is there a way to play sounds through Skype? I've googled this like 40 times over the last few months on and off, and I can't find any way to do it.

FYI, if it helps, I have two sound devices, the on board Realtek HD Audio and a cheap soundblaster.
  • Is there a way to play sounds through Skype? I've googled this like 40 times over the last few months on and off, and I can't find any way to do it.
    Yes.

Conversation > Extras > Get Extras > Pamela Call Recorder
  • Wow. I didn't realize there WERE "extras". Thanks, Sail.
  • Is there a way to play sounds through Skype? I've googled this like 40 times over the last few months on and off, and I can't find any way to do it.
    Yes.

Conversation > Extras > Get Extras > Pamela Call Recorder
    Oh my god. Wow. Thank you Sail.

On a side note, I had to download the MP3 ACM codec to play MP3's with it, but otherwise, it's alright.
  • Really? I didn't have to download anything. You can search around, there are probably some other add-ons that do the same thing.
  • That's odd, because it won't allow me to select extras here. Is there something wrong with my version of Skype or what?
  • That's odd, because it won't allow me to select extras here. Is there something wrong with my version of Skype or what?
    Make sure you have the newest Skype, and then make sure you are in a conversation, not just in the normal Skype window. Other than that, I dunno.