This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good hip-hop.

Comments

• You've got to be joking. This is like ICP bad.
    I didn't want to say anything, but you're 100% correct. That was terrible.
  • You've got to be joking. This is like ICP bad.
    Yeah, I really hope you are joking Anyar. If you enjoy that guy's style I'd recommend Dr. Dre, Eminem, Ice Cube, Ice T or The Wu-Tang Clan. As far as I can tell Boosie just tears bits off of those artists and glues them onto his untalented ass to gain fans who haven't heard better.
  • Yeah, I think I like Cleofis Randolf better.

Listening to this record again, I can't believe how much "Cleofis" reminds me of Asher Roth.
  • This is like ICP bad.
    It's not that bad. ICP is in a whole different echelon of terrible.
  • Listening to this record again, I can't believe how much "Cleofis" reminds me of Asher Roth.
    Now you mention it he is sort of like Asher Roth, but clever. For those who don't know that's MC Paul Barman.
  • edited October 2009
    I don't care for the choppy way that he raps, but he does have some really funny lines "I can rock the mic to silence by John Cage" "I'm iller than the Iliad" "The way I communicate can make a freakin' eunuch mate" I'm lollin'. I might have to get something by him.

Edit: listening to his track with DOOM, this rules.

Post edited by whatever on
  • Are you guys serious? You listen to DOOM and Sage Francis and you think Boosie sucks? Boosie kill it, and I'm seriously saying he's the best alive right now...
    Note: I like some Sage but he's not THAT good, DOOM never impressed me at all
    You've got to be joking. This is like ICP bad.
    Yeah, I really hope you are joking Anyar. If you enjoy that guy's style I'd recommendDr. Dre,Eminem,Ice Cube,Ice TorThe Wu-Tang Clan. As far as I can tell Boosie just tears bits off of those artists and glues them onto his untalented ass to gain fans who haven't heard better.
    I listen to all of them except T but... I just don't know how you can't dig Boosie. I guess most geeks aren't into the southern stuff.
  • edited October 2009
    Your standards are backwards, man, since we all know DOOM is the finest rapper around. I mean, objectively. The beat on that track you posted is super generic, I've heard that sort of thing so many times in radio hip-hop. As far as the lyrics, I thought hip-hop fans were over the whole pretend to be a gangster thing. He's like a poor man's Lil Wayne, but lacking the sense of humor that makes Wayne at least tolerable. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any modern rapper (apart from Wu-Tang and affiliates) rapping about how fucking tough as fuck they are, un-ironically, is bad.
  • Your standards are backwards, man, since we all know DOOM is the finest rapper around. I mean, objectively. The beat on that track you posted is super generic, I've heard that sort of thing so many times in radio hip-hop. As far as the lyrics, I thought hip-hop fans were over the whole pretend to be a gangster thing. He's like a poor man's Lil Wayne, but lacking the sense of humor that makes Wayne at least tolerable. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any modern rapper (apart from Wu-Tang and affiliates) rapping about how fucking tough as fuck they are, un-ironically, is bad.
    Uhh, dude, Boosie is legit street, I don't think you listened to the song or paid attention if you think he's bragging about how tough he is... And I just noticed that you guys are listening to Asher Roth... How can you call ANYTHING else bad if you list to Asher Roth?
  • And I just noticed that you guys are listening to Asher Roth... How can you call ANYTHING else bad if you list to Asher Roth?
    You should actually read the thread if you think anyone except Blarp has implied that they like Asher Roth.
  • And I just noticed that you guys are listening to Asher Roth... How can you call ANYTHING else bad if you list to Asher Roth?
    You should actually read the thread if you think anyone except Blarp has implied that they like Asher Roth.
    I saw one person say they didn't like him and I saw him mentioned a bunch without giving an opinion, maybe there were some more posts in there, but I didn't see them.
  • edited October 2009
    mentioned a bunch without giving an opinion
    L O L

Post-quoting Edit: If anyone requires more FRCF Asher Roth hate for whatever reason.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • mentioned a bunch without giving an opinion
    LOL
    OK, there were two people.
    LOL
    Half the thread.
    LOL
    Half the thread.
    He only linked two people that stated a negative opinion of Asher Roth, and one of those was a tiny comment that's easy to miss... I didn't see anyone else saying "Asher Roth sucks", they were saying "bla reminds me of Ather Rosh", implying that they listen to enough Asher to be reminded of him.
  • Those two people make up half the thread ^_^
  • Asher Roth sucks.
  • edited October 2009
    More to the point, you're talking to the three people who said Asher Roth is shit.
    Uhh, dude, Boosie is legit street, I don't think you listened to the song or paid attention if you think he's bragging about how tough he is...
    Also more to the point, everyone has done this shtick before in the exact same way. If Boosie wants to get my attention he either needs to say something new or say something clever. "My hood sucked to live in, but now I'm a tough niggah" is neither.

Here's the last verse from that Boosie track:

We holla fuck cops, if we fall off with this rap mane it's back to the trap to bust blocks
    Man who can I trust not, nigga fuckin up the game, it's down to momma, ?, & CEO's and main mane,
    gon' be in the chain game these niggas don't stop playin from niggas, and bitches, yes sir I got game.
    God cursed me with diabetes I feel like i'm insane, you ain't from the hood & you don't deserve
    it mane, in the streets they murder mane, and Boosie he a target, so me?
    I got my 40 when i'm shittin on the toilet, im paranoid, starin' hard to get ya ass hit.
    Four or five chains ain't never had shit.
    Fuck a bitch she wanna mingle, ha, she want my jingles, one hit wonders gettin rich off a single.
    Whats that Michael Vick? Don't snitch, tell that judge he kill deals and it's real.

Here's a verse from Sage Francis' track Sea Lion:

Ma, Ma--look what i did, Ma. Look what i did to my hands, I broke 'em.
    You gave me the stone, gave me the chisel, didn't say how to hold 'em.
    Didn't say to give away every piece of the puzzle 'til i was left with nothin'.
    But i took it upon myself to crush it up and distribute the dust.
    Get in the bus. Hop in the van. Jump in the water. Crawl to the land.
    Build another castle out of sand. Break it down and then get into the saddle again.
    I'm going city to city - i'm already lost. Tell the boss who is new in town.
    I'll ride this horse 'til it it bucks me off and i'm forced to shoot it down.
    I'll take him out for some gasoline. Trade this cow for some magic beans.
    Gonna make mom proud of the deals that I made, 'cause I'm just a modern day Johnny Appleseed
    But i'm glad that I never passed the genes, and I never put down the axe.
    Piano man got a checkered dance floor to grace and a painful look on his face.
    'Cause the crowd is packed and the louder they clap
    the less he is able to make the connection between what he sees
    when he hears certain notes and the hurt that is shown in his facial expression. Ahhhhhh.
    I don't need your "go ahead" to go ahead. No, I know no one said it was gonna be easy,
    but sweet jesus who wants to sleep with me?
    Way too many moves to learn. Not enough people to put 'em on.
    Look it, mom! No hands. I built this suit of armor with wooden arms.

It's a similar message, but Sage conveys it with a degree of eloquence and depth that Boosie doesn't match. Rappers are poets, and a poet should always strive to find his own voice; Boosie just says the same tried shit straight up, where Sage's metaphors and turns of phrase are all his own. Boosie's bars are irregular, rhythmically uninteresting, full of slurs and almost never uses words outside the vocabulary of a foul-mouthed grade schooler. Sage has a very clear grasp of poetic rhythm (not to mention a vocabulary) which is puts to use in every bar of the song, and delivers it all with varying flow and tone of voice that makes for much more emotional and interesting delivery. Boosie is just kind of dull in that regard.

But enough of that pussy bullshit, here's a verse from Celph Titled of Army of the Pharaohs:

Ya betta cross your T's
    Cuz we'll dot your eyes
    You can say that you specialized but Pharaohs will Optimize
    Backstage will get a bitch backsmacked there (
    yeah)
    The macplayer like dirty south pimpslapped clap snares,
    Holy Paragraphs, What kind of shit is that?
    I'm jesus in the flesh so this is muthafuckin christian rap
    Ya'll just christmas rap, must be the secret santa
    my reindeer aim near, pierce you with the antlers
    I made em go easy, I called off the wolves oN my AOTP radio CB
    Cuz ya'll aint worthy of grenades and RPG's
    Slit throat hope you float with sardines and seaweed
    Cuz this is C-E-L-P-H demonic symphony
    Listen to the hell we make
    In a year before your kids 10th birthday came
    You didn't have to wait for candles on the cake to see the nine flame

This is how you make a song about how tough you are. With tight bars, original ideas, a smooth flow and clever punchlines. Boosie has none but the first, and even then only occasionally.

So that's why I think he's crap, and why I like what I like. Take it or leave it.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • You listen to DOOM and Sage Francis and you think Boosie sucks?
    Yes and yes. Sage has clever rhymes and deep, meaningful, poetic lyrics. Boosie is typical gangsta thug rap, and really, you lose street cred the minute you start making assloads of money with a music career, if you even really had "street cred" in the first place. You're going to take his lyrics at face value and just believe what he raps about?

Also, for the record, Asher Roth is garbage.
  • edited October 2009
    I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Maybe its because I generally listen to music when I'm riding and smoking, and that I hang out with different people, or just different tastes overall.
    Also, in the place where you put the question mark, I think he's saying Momma Pimp (referring to Pimp C's mother).
    EDIT: Whaleshark, does it matter if he's real? If he makes music that I can bump, and that I can relate to, it's fine either way(hell, I listen to SPM sometimes and dude is child molester, but thats not what his music is about, I'm not gonna buy his cds but I'll listen to them). I believe what Boosie says though, I've been to Baton Rouge and they don't call him fake down there.
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Maybe its because I generally listen to music when I'm riding and smoking, and that I hang out with different people, or just different tastes overall.
    Fair enough. I dissect all of the music I listen to, make my own music and hang out mainly with other artists. Because I have a refined appreciation for the genre I hold what I listen to to a higher standard in terms of skill and originality.
    Also, in the place where you put the question mark, I think he's saying Momma Pimp (referring to Pimp C's mother).
    Nah, that was just the only transcription I could find. I didn't want to bother correcting it.
  • As far as the lyrics, I thought hip-hop fans were over the whole pretend to be a gangster thing
    I believe you're mistaken - as far as I've observed, 3/4 of these slack-jawed idiots do seriously believe that they're Gangstas, or that being gangsta in the fashion they portray is something desirable - or at least, this is the image they portray.

Also, Gunter Mentioned Army of the Pharaohs, and I've had this stuck in my head all day.
  • edited October 2009
    Jay Z has the best hip hop video I've seen so far:

Also, he raps about more than just being tough in the hood (although he does do a considerable deal of that too). He's definitely the best mainstream rapper at the moment, though at the moment that's not too difficult. He had a good interview on Real Time a couple of months back:
    EDIT: Part 1 is being wonky when I try to link it. You can find it here

Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • Everybody raps about more than being tough in the hood... Even 50 Cent, who is always caricatured as not doing anything but that, has a lot of other stuff that people ignore because it's not on the radio. None of these guys would be as succesful as they are if they were really one-dimensional.
  • edited October 2009
    None of these guys would be as succesful as they are if they were really one-dimensional.
    That's a valid point.

I can admit that Boosie is good from a technical standpoint, but that particular song is nothing special. It's like Dragonforce: technically good, but they don't offer up anything special. If you had a song with the depth and lyrical intricacy of a Sage song, done by a guy like Boosie, then you'd have something special.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited October 2009
    I can admit that Boosie is good from a technical standpoint, but that particular song is nothing special. It's like Dragonforce: technically good, but they don't offer up anything special.
    A hooker giving me oral sex is technically good, But that doesn't mean it's worth anything other than the sticker price, or that it's something that's worth partaking of.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Not necessarily good, but this song has been huge on campus recently after some big football wins.

I guess it's just the reality of going to a school in the middle of ATL.
  • None of these guys would be as succesful as they are if they were really one-dimensional.
    That's a valid point.

I can admit that Boosie is good from a technical standpoint, but that particular song is nothing special. It's like Dragonforce: technically good, but they don't offer up anything special. If you had a song with the depth and lyrical intricacy of a Sage song, done by a guy like Boosie, then you'd have something special.
    Listen to some UGK, thats what fits the bill(some of their stuff, I'd reccomend the album Riding Dirty, if you listen to one song I'd say Diamonds and Wood) and I listen to them all the time. I really don't care as much about the poetry or anything, it is nice sometimes, I like music that hits me and paints a picture in my head and brings back old memories... Eloquent rappers can do that, but they often focus on their lyrics and not what they're really saying. Different people feel different things though, and Sage is good, but not as good for me.
  • edited October 2009
    UGK's only good song is Int'l Players, mostly because of OutKast. I don't know why so many hipsters lose their shit over them.

I'm pretty sure the things rappers are saying are the lyrics. If you're talking about subtext in the rhymes, Boosie's shallowness makes me think he doesn't offer much in that department. But there is definitely something to be said when DOOM drops something as dense as "I'm like anywho's/seeds walkin all out in the street without any shoes/I guess it's better than some funky socks/ya need to get her some skips before she catch the monkey pox/instead she wanna hear the beatbox/take pills and make fake crills that sheet rock/sing it, bring it back to your laboratory/while he's in his oratory glory it's like a horror story"
  • edited October 2009
    Man I cant stand intl players anthem except for pimps verse.,. UGK has been making great shit since they startes out in?thd late 80s... UGK 4 LIFE, RIP Pimp C, If you can't feel UGK, I just cant understand what you're thinking... I still bump pocket full of stonez and all their shit, rap would be fucked up without the influence of UGK and Pimp C's beats. UGK is fire, they built the south, the whole rap scene would be way diff if they hadnt been putting it down for the past 20 years
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on