This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Gaming on the Mac

edited August 2008 in Flamewars
It's common belief that the mac has no games on it. Well, your you're wrong. With an application called Cross Over Games, I was able to get Portal and Steam to work on my MacBook Pro. I've been playing Portal on high graphic options and other than a few graphic hiccups it been working great.
Mac games, Steam on a Mac, Portal on a Mac.

Wow, I need a blog.

Comments

• edited August 2008
    your wrong.
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited August 2008
    My friend has a new MacBook Pro and it's an excellent gaming rig for his purposes. It's called dual-booting.

Seriously, I've watched him try to play games as processor-light as DotA in OSX and they crash or lag horribly without fail. Dual-booting in the perfect solution while using cross-over programs is the half solution.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's called duel-booting.
    Whoa, is the gun in your boot then?
  • edited August 2008
    Posted By: Morio-KunWith an application called Cross Over Games No, look.
    Duel-booting is one solution but I like this way better, because it can run windows apps without having to die a little inside every time.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • It's calledduel-booting.
    Ah...I love the grammar policing in this thread.
  • Funny how most games on there are 30% more than retail for PC.
  • edited August 2008
    Actually, it's when you start fighting with your boot.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • What does any of this have to do with Mac gaming?
    The good news is that I have a blog now, shameless self-promotion, I call it Morio-Kun.nEt, so these soap box like threads will be far and few between.
  • Oh, now I get it! The OSes fight for dominance of the CPU when you boot up the computer. Whichever one wins the duel gets to run.
    I heard BurrOS always wins.
  • Oh, now I get it! The OSes fight for dominance of the CPU when you boot up the computer. Whichever one wins the duel gets to run.
    That made no fucking sense.
  • It's a joke. I accidentally wrote duel, meaning a fight or competition, instead of dual, meaning two.
  • I think it means he boots his computer with a donkey. A donkey that happens to win at duels involving footwear.
    Brilliant, good sir.
  • But does it play Crysis?
  • edited August 2008
    Oh, now I get it! The OSes fight for dominance of the CPU when you boot up the computer. Whichever one wins the duel gets to run.
    Brilliant, good sir.
    That would make an awesome boot loader interface. You click on one of the OS-Tans and they shoot the other ones.

As a side note: For the love of the FSM do NOT buy an ATI card. Buy Nvidia or Intel. ATI's windows drivers are bad enough but their Linux ones are useless.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • ATI's windows drivers are bad enough but their Linux ones are useless.
    Last I heard their Windows drivers are still bad. However, ATi has recently open-sourced their video driver specs and code. In Linux, you can safely go either way now.
  • edited August 2008
    Link to news article?
    Another take on Duel Booting: Two men stand two feet apart and have to try and kick each other in the balls while wearing heavy boots.
  • Ah...I love the grammar policing in this thread.
    That is one thing I have noticed while I have been lurking in the forums lo these many weeks. You folks sure do have a thing for good grammar. As a former English major I can appreciate that, I guess, but I would suggest not letting it affect your blood pressure.

"I like my grammar like I like my women: proper and... not retarded."
  • As a former English major I can appreciate that, I guess, but I would suggest not letting it affect your blood pressure.
    Good conversation rarely comes without rudimentary grammar and spelling. We basically ban anyone who can't maintain a certain minimal level.
  • edited August 2008
    As a former English major I can appreciate that, I guess, but I would suggest not letting it affect your blood pressure.
    Good conversation rarely comes without rudimentary grammar and spelling. We basically ban anyone who can't maintain a certain minimal level.
    Frankly, there are several who should be on probation.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Frankly, there are several who should be on probation.
    Mr. Period has been absent for a while recently, so we've been doing it on our own. It takes time, and we're busy. ^_~
  • Frankly, there are several who should be on probation.
    Mr. Period has been absent for a while recently, so we've been doing it on our own. It takes time, and we're busy. ^_~
    I actually was confused about that. I was never quite able to figure out if was Mr. Period an actual person who is tasked with correcting grammar in red like an English teacher does (actually, most of the teachers I work with now don't use red because it tests badly or something), or if he was like a Dark Knight kind of persona for Rym and Scott.
  • As a former English major I can appreciate that, I guess, but I would suggest not letting it affect your blood pressure.
    I agree with Rym on this one.
    I mean, it's not like you have to use perfect grammar all the time, just when the situation calls for it. On AIM I get a little lazy. I barely ever cap stuff, and I barely every use periods, since I'll just send my message after a sentence. When I'm texting, I tend to do throw a lot of my grammar knowledge out the window because I don't have a full keyboard.
    But on a forum where you don't need to get your message in quickly (like in AIM or while texting), and the goal is intelligent discussion, I think proper grammar should be used.
  • Link to news article?
    Another take on Duel Booting: Two men stand two feet apart and have to try and kick each other in the balls while wearing heavy boots.
    Reminds me of high school...
  • I actually was confused about that. I was never quite able to figure out if was Mr. Period an actual person who is tasked with correcting grammar in red like an English teacher does (actually, most of the teachers I work with now don't use red because it tests badly or something), or if he was like a Dark Knight kind of persona for Rym and Scott.
    Mr. Period is indeed a real user, but he isn't the only person with the power to correct in red and put people on probation. More often than not, at least these days, it is Andrew who corrects grammar and spelling.
  • Mr. Period is indeed a real user, but he isn't the only person with the power to correct in red and put people on probation. More often than not, at least these days, it is Andrew who corrects grammar and spelling.
    If nobody says anything, how do you know who it was?
  • Mr. Period has been absent for a while recently, so we've been doing it on our own. It takes time, and we're busy. ^_~
    This implies it is neither of you two. Or maybe that's just what you want us to think. Next you'll be trying to tell us we actually landed on the moon.
  • edited August 2008
    Mr Period is probably just one of the admins logging in as he always turns up when things get bad yet he never posts anything. Either that or he's some kind of uber lurker.
    Either way, the forum stays legible and easily scannable so it's not that important how it gets like that.
  • edited August 2008
    If nobody says anything, how do you know who it was?
    Perhaps I don't, but Andrew often gripes when Mr. Period is solely credited for corrections. Plus, Mr. Period has been known to be a bit more vocal, leaving notes signed by him and such.
    Post edited by Sail on