This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Russia invades Georgia (the country)

edited August 2008 in Politics

Comments

• It always takes me about two seconds to remember that there's a Georgia the country, too.
  • Haha, ditto. This might not bode well for US - Russian relations.
  • Yeah, all I could think about is how those Russian tanks would get through the traffic on I-285.
  • WOLVERINES!
  • Didn't Georgia start this by attacking the separatists?
  • Why are the shelling cilivian areas? I mean did Russia have to take it this far?
  • Why are the shelling cilivian areas? I mean did Russia have to take it this far?
    It's modern warfare, which takes place in towns and cities, unfortunately this is also where civilians live.
  • Hmm, I wonder if this will be a precursor to another big war.
  • Ah, good old U.S.S.R. is coming back in. Stalin raises from the grave.
  • Ah, good old U.S.S.R. is coming back in. Stalin raises from the grave.
    That made me think of this: Simpsons: USSR Reunites, skip to about 30 sec in for the right part.

This is an odd conflict though. from what i can tell there's a chunk of Georgia that wants to be Russia, Georgia isn't to hot on the idea and Russia supports it. Georgia sends in it's army to lay down some suppression on the separatists, some of which happen to be Russian "citizens." Russia in a brilliant move invades under the pretense of liberating the area.

God I hope we(the US) doesn't get involved in this too much, it's looking like enough of a disaster already. Russia seems mighty keen on shooting themselves in the foot with this though so...
  • What's interesting I think is that this is happening during the Olympics, which is supposed to be a time when countries don't do this sort of thing.
  • Who made that rule? It's best to do this sort of thing while the Olympics are going on. You know, while everyone is distracted by the guise of nations competing in friendly sport. World Peace and all that.
  • It always takes me about two seconds to remember that there's a Georgia the country, too.
    Git yer guns, the commies ar' comin'
    Git yer guns, the commies ar' comin'
    Even though they're not actually here, I'm glad that we have a strong military machine to protect our interests if the war widens into other parts of the region.

What? Our military machine is broken due to an unnecessary adventure based on lies? So we don't really have anything to use even if we actually, really need military force? Never mind . . .
  • So I guess now we just wait for the giant alien monster to explode in New York City, huh?
  • So I guess now we just wait for the giant alien monster to explode in New York City, huh?
    Silly NinjaNed it is not a giant alien monster. it was a giant mutant monster :P
  • But it was supposed to LOOK like an alien monster.
    Mmm... Borscht Burgers...
  • The U.S. is flying 2,000 Georgian troops home from Iraq. I wonder how Russia will take that? I mean, that kinda involves us a little bit, doesn't it?
  • I wonder if Georgia will turn into something resembling iRaq? So far the method of invasion has been very similar, use air superiority to bomb anything you feel like.
  • Too much technology blogging messes with your head. Clever satire though.
  • I think the only way to settle this is to force both countries (Georgia and Russia) into a ceasefire, bring in some UN troops to enforce it (so there aren't attacks from separatists), and hold an election. Determine whether S. Ossetia wants to be:

a) Part of Russia (well, part of CIS, but you understand)

b) Part of Georgia (they don't, but it's good to include this in the vote)

c) A sovereign state with N. Ossetia. If so, there need to be more talks to resolve all of that.

Of course, some people simply won't agree to a Three State Solution. ^_~
  • Politics are always tricky. I want to see Russia become awesome again although it was only awesome when romanticized. Putin is also such a charismatic person, he made the difference between the 2014 Olympics being in Russia or Korea. He seems like a badass who can restore order to the chaos that is Russia, but I also feel as if I should fear him and distrust him since he was the head of the KGB. Kind of like Batman, how he is making the right choice, not the easy one, or at least that's the way it seems.
  • edited August 2008
    I think the only way to settle this is to force both countries (Georgia and Russia) into a ceasefire, bring in some UN troops to enforce it (so there aren't attacks from separatists), and hold an election.
    No offense, but the UN doesn't do shit militarily. The real issue is that Georgia holds massive oil assets, which both Europe and the United States depend upon. However, the western nations need Russian support to handle the situation with Iran, otherwise we hold almost no diplomatic pressure against them. This is a really, really sticky situation and, as far as I can tell, will probably end in massive bloodshed.
    Of course, some people simply won't agree to a Three State Solution. ^_~
    S. Ossetia is about the size of a large county in one of the American states. There is no way it could become it's own country.
    Putin is also such a charismatic person, he made the difference between the 2014 Olympics being in Russia or Korea. He seems like a badass who can restore order to the chaos that is Russia, but I also feel as if I should fear him and distrust him since he was the head of the KGB.
    Putin is a power hungry, wanna-be dictator. He's trying real hard to resurrect the Soviet/US cold war and make Russia a major world power again.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Of course, some people simply won't agree to a Three State Solution. ^_~
    S. Ossetia is about the size of a large county in one of the American states. There is no way it could become it's own country.
    Need Monaco be mentioned?
  • edited August 2008
    Politics are always tricky. I want to see Russia become awesome again although it was only awesome when romanticized. Putin is also such a charismatic person, he made the difference between the 2014 Olympics being in Russia or Korea. He seems like a badass who can restore order to the chaos that is Russia, but I also feel as if I should fear him and distrust him since he was the head of the KGB. Kind of like Batman, how he is making the right choice, not the easy one, or at least that's the way it seems.
    I don't think anyone really wants to see Russia "awesome" again. Any fondness this forum has stems from Russian art and culture, not their political or social aspects.

And the more I hear about this campaign, about Georgia's oil supply and contribution to the Iraqi War, the more I'm convinced this attack is actually intended against America, especially while we're going to change leaders.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • I don't think anyone really wants to see Russia "awesome" again. Any fondness this forum has stems from Russian art and culture, not their political or social aspects
    I think you tripped over yourself back there.
  • I believe S. Ossetia is about three times the size of Luxembourg. Of course, the Three State Solution would probably see all of Ossetia under CIS (read: Russian) control.

Right now, Russia is going to kick the shit out of Georgia unless someone steps in. Please god let it not be the United States.
  • Right now, Russia is going to kick the shit out of Georgia unless someone steps in. Please god let it not be the United States.
    Except the sad part is we'd be the most likely force to step in. Even if the UN decides to do something that likely means the US will be doing something, as we are pretty much the controlling body of the UN.