This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need help replacing video card.

edited August 2008 in Technology
It looks like, as a result of either my trouble trying to install new RAM or some really bad nvidia drivers, my Geforce 8800 GT video card has been completely fried. Which means I'm going to need a replacement.

I have most of the necessary tools to be able to crack open the case and replace, but the issue is with drivers. Considering all the problems I'm having with drivers, should I go as far as formatting and reinstalling Vista, or is just unistalling the drivers and using Driver Cleaner enough?

Comments

• Are you using 64 bit Vista or something? I doubt the Nvidia drivers would fry your video card. Most likely said frying happened due to your motherboard doing crazy stuff.
  • edited August 2008
    32-bit Vista. I downloaded the 175.19 drivers, and tried to play Portal,which led to a BSoD... and then I couldn't load Windows without it crashing, because of "nvlddmkm.sys", unless I disabled the drivers. And then I found out about many other people having the same problem with the same card series and same version of drivers.
    Post edited by Robert on
  • See, I downloaded the 175.19 drivers, and tred to play Portal, and then I couldn't load Windows without it crashing, because of "nvlddmkm.sys", unless I disabled the drivers. And then I found out about many other people having the same problem with the same card series and same version of drivers.
    Should've looked more on Google, there are also solutions. And did you try to contact Nvidia's support?
  • Yeah, I did. Though I think it's a forgone conclusion, considering that there's blue dots covering the screen during start up.
  • How many blue dots? What size?
  • Just buy a new computer. That will fix your video card problem. New computers now usually come with video cards with them.
  • I'm having this sneaky suspicion that Jen is a troll.
  • I'm having this sneaky suspicion that Jen is a troll.
    Ditto. At first I thought said user was joking. However, every post contains useless content now.
  • About 1-3 pixels, every 5-10 pixels or so. They appear in the POST screen, and the "checking NVRAM" message, the screen when Vista is loading with the progress bar, and the BIOS menu.
  • You haven't bent any of the pins that connect the monitor to the back of the computer have you? VGA cables sometimes do that. Just take out the (usually) blue vga connector from the back of your PC and look to see if any of the pins are bent.
  • I have an HDTV and a DVI-HDMI connector, and I just switched to the VGA port with a rarely used SVGA cable. No dice; the dots are still there.
  • Could be overheating. Intel onboard graphics chips have a habit of scattering red dots throughout beige and yellow colors when they're running too hot. Is the GPU fan spinning?
  • Another way to spot that would to see if the artifacts show up when you boot the computer after letting it sit overnight or at least cool right down.
  • edited August 2008
    Intel onboard graphics chips have a habit of scattering red dots throughout beige and yellow colors when they're running too hot.
    I don't think so: the blue and red dots cover the whole screen, not just certain colours.

EDIT: I checked anyway, the fan is running and the GPU is under 40 degrees Celsius.
    Post edited by Robert on
  • Are the dots consistent in pixel pitch or physical display distance when you change resolutions? Or do they disappear or increase in density at different refresh rates? LCD or CRT monitor?
  • LCD, and they all look the same distance, at least in the centre, with a slight difference at the edges.
  • edited September 2010
    Ok, Civ 5 is a little laggy. I know that there are bugs, and it will get better. The thing is, I checked and my video card is definitely a bit too slow. It's an 8800GT, which is pretty good, but the recommended for Civ5 is 9800 series, one step up. I can't even do the advanced tactical view without some lagging. I also just checked, and OMG my desktop was purchased in April 2008. I had no idea it was that long ago. It feels so much more recent.

Anyway, after surveying the landscape, I've realize that ATI can't be ignored now, which is sad. Also sad is that all the decent cards are two-slotters. I'd rather not, but it's beyond my control.

I need a video card that is PCI Express x16 with two DVI outputs. I want the best one that's a reasonable price. I don't want to pay a zillion dollars for top of the line, but it's gotta be significantly better than my 8800GT. Here are a couple I found on Newegg that have lots of golden eggs. What say you?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130562

or maybe it's worth it to go the next step up to these guys.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2010
    I'll be getting this soon.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • On this chart my 8800GT scores 945. I don't know how reliable or believable this chart is, it's just the easiest to read of the ones I've found. Anyway, on that chart the 5770 is way below the other choices, with 1575, so I think that one is out. The GTX460 scores 2,299, which is very close to the top. The 5850 is just above it with 2,411. The thing is, I found two different GTX460s on Newegg. One is 768MB for $170 and the other is 1GB for $250. Is there really $80 worth of difference there? I feel like the $170 card is the way to go, and it has the Newegg trophy to show for it. If I get the more expensive GTX460 card, I might as well get the 5850 instead, which is supposedly faster, and only costs $5 more.
  • I'll be gettingthissoon.
    Why not the one I linked to which is basically identical and has better reviews? Granted, it is $10 more.
  • edited September 2010
    I thought I saw the one I linked to doing better in benchmarks, but it was actually a comparison of the palit 1gb and the evga 768mb. I'm not sure if the one you linked existed when I was looking at cards. However, the one I linked is slightly higher clocked and much smaller.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited September 2010
    I might as well get the 5850 instead, which is supposedly faster and only costs $5 more.
    Don't forget the cost of your soul. Also, the 460 sometimes does better in benchmarks.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • I have always liked this website when it comes to reviewing computer hardware. the only down side is you have to go though the reviews to find out what they think, theirs no ranking system or anything like that.
    Legit Reviews
  • edited September 2010
    Having looked at the current video card situation, the GTX 460 is definitely the value king at the moment. The $170 one is clearly the one to get.

Before Nvidia came out with the GTX 460, ATI were winning in value across the board, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited September 2010
    Having looked at the current video card situation, the GTX 460 is definitely the value king at the moment. The $170 one is clearly the one to get.
    Yeah, I'm gonna get that one. It's weird because all these sites and charts list a ton of ATI cards, and this one NVidia card sneaks in there and eats their lunch. It's also weird. All the Newegg comments are people just like me replacing their 8800GT(X) with the 460.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hey, does anyone want my 8800GT? I know a lot of you punk kids are always complaining that your computers are way way slow and can't play anything. Well, the 8800GT can play all these games, it just won't get insane frame rates on the newest stuffs. Of course, it's PCI Express x16. I imagine that most of you who have crap computers probably don't have PCIx16 slots. Still, I don't need it anymore, and it's just going to waste.
  • Hey, does anyone want my 8800GT? I know a lot of you punk kids are always complaining that your computers are way way slow and can't play anything. Well, the 8800GT can play all these games, it just won't get insane frame rates on the newest stuffs. Of course, it's PCI Express x16. I imagine that most of you who have crap computers probably don't have PCIx16 slots. Still, I don't need it anymore, and it's just going to waste.
    I'm tempted, but the shipping is going to quite possibly be a bit too much of a sting. Any Parts are a help, after all. I know I'm not exactly a punk kid, But I do bitch about my computer being a steaming pile of obsolescence a fair bit.
  • I'm tempted, but the shipping is going to quite possibly be a bit too much of a sting. Any Parts are a help, after all. I know I'm not exactly a punk kid, But I do bitch about my computer being a steaming pile of obsolescence a fair bit.
    I'm not trying to sell it, I'm trying to give it away. Can you use it?
  • edited September 2010
    I'm not trying to sell it, I'm trying to give it away. Can you use it?
    I can, Yes - I've got an older box with a PCI Express x16 compatible motherboard, that I can afford to drop a few parts in and get running, I just have to pull it out of my packed stuff from before England - I packed it away mostly because the PSU died, the rest of it is pretty decent, but I didn't want to repair it and then just leave it for two years out of use - I could probably get away with dropping a new HDD in, and maybe a CPU upgrade, once I've replaced the PSU, which is reasonably affordable.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Got the card. It's amazing. I didn't think the difference in performance would be this drastic, but it is. I now want to revisit every 3D game I've got just to see how much better it is.

For example, the old card was just fine for Source Engine games, and the like. However, in the CS:Source stress test, it did stutter at points. The new card gets an average of 250+ fps on the stress test. I can play CS:S with all the settings turned way the fuck up and vertical sync, and it never drops a frame.

Also, something really awesome, is that it is silent. The 8800GT would get kinda noisy when it had hard work to do, and was silent otherwise. This new one is silent no matter what. It was so quiet, I was wondering if the fan was working.

The only problems are that it takes up two slots, and that it requires two supplementary power connectors. Annoying, but a small price to pay.