This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Important: Ignore the troll

Comments

• This really needs to stop. While it was amusing for a while, Andrew said that it is over. Listen to the moderator.
  • Okay.... 'the party's crashing us now'.
  • What the hell is wrong with you people?
  • Big thumbs up to trogdor for posting Optimus Rhyme :)
  • Big thumbs up to trogdor for posting Optimus Rhyme :)
    Indeed.
  • Will an Admin please just ban Jen?
  • Jen has adequate spelling and grammar, and isn't spamming. In the interest of freedom of speech, we're not going to ban someone for being stupid or disagreeing with us. We're all adults here. Learn to deal with it. Also, Jen provides more lols than a lot of other people here.
  • edited August 2008
    Jen isn't all that smart, it wouldn't take much to get her banned.
    I made this if anyone needs it:
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Good lord, you're being a twat about this, Scott. The kid stopped being funny a long time ago.

We're all adults here, so use your common sense and ban the nuisance.
  • We're all adults here, so use your common sense and ban the nuisance.
    On what grounds?
    edited August 2008
    Good lord, you're being a twat about this, Scott. The kid stopped being funny a long time ago.

Agreed. Though it finally found something new with the baby shampoo. About time if you ask me.
    On what grounds?
    For doing nothing but try to get people offended without actually contributing anything.
    Post edited by ... on
  • For doing nothing but try to get people offended without actually contributing anything.
    Plenty of people have contributed a lot less, and I've personally found Jen to be quite humorous. Why do you need this person banned? Are you incapable of ignoring them, as I have instructed?
  • edited August 2008
    On what grounds?
    On the grounds that it's making things a lot less enjoyable around here for all of us.

It's not useful. It doesn't debate. It's not funny. It just wants to pick a fight. It's past the point of nuisance and is now simply tiresome.

It's not a matter of ignoring the troll. It's easy to ignore it. However, I used to like to think that this board had higher standards. Maybe not.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The joke is old is what I'm saying. Unless Jen brings some new tricks to the bag I'm on the side of tossing her.
  • She's batting about 40% in LOL factor, that's better then some here :-p
  • On what grounds?
    Think about it. Jen is a troll, and he isn't a particularly good one at that. All his posts have been the same shit about the presidency. It was funny while the folks here didn't know how to react and actually tried arguing with him, but he's run his course. The pyramids alone should have been an indication of this. If only for the lulz, ban him to force him to evolve and come up with more clever ways to troll.

• On the grounds that it's making things a lot less enjoyable around here for all of us.

It's not useful. It doesn't debate. It's not funny. It just wants to pick a fight. It's past the point of nuisance and is now simply tiresome.
    How is it annoying you? Are you incapable of ignoring it? We have a strong policy here of only regulating how people say things, not what they say. If you ignore them, they will go away. If you ignore them, and they still don't go away, what do you care? You're ignoring them, so it shouldn't bother you. The fact that it bothers you means its working. Welcome to the real world. There are annoying people out there. We're not going to get all big brother in these forums. We want open discussion, even if annoying and offensive.

If we ban Jen on the grounds of being an annoyance, or being offensive, then to remain fair we will have to ban many of you on the same grounds. I'm sure you don't want that.
  • edited August 2008
    We're not going to get all big brother in these forums. We want open discussion, even if annoying and offensive.
    So what's with closing the religious debate threads?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited August 2008
    It's what I said above, Scott. It's easy to ignore what it says. It's not easy to ignore the fact that, if she stays, there will inevitably be another. And another. And yet another. All the while, you'll be saying, "If you just ignore them, they'll go away", and meanwhile this board will degenerate into a little 4chan.
    We're not going to get all big brother in these forums. We want open discussion, even if annoying and offensive.
    ZING! Quoted for truth.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Maybe we should start chanting, "Sacrifice... Sacrifice...Sacrifice". I'll admit that Jen annoys me as much as preachers annoy me on the train. Do we have to kill it with kindness or something? What's the trick here?
  • Sounds like a Court Marshall is in the future...
  • edited August 2008
    I'm still of the opinion that the "pyramid builders" unknowingly summoned her with their evil deeds and screwing up the forum.
    We could try to make her acceptable. Here's a spraybottle filled with water and a rolled up newspaper.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • All the time you guys talk on the show about ''your awesome forum'' that ''aren't like the rest of the internet''. That's why people like using them. Now you're saying, ''our forum is awesome and unlike the rest of the internet, but only if you skip over parts of it''.
  • This ought to tell you folks something...

Until I finally broke down and read this thread, I had no idea who Jen was, or that Jen was a problem.

I pick my threads very carefully, and never open most. Maybe I'm the exception, but it shows that, at least in my case, it's easy to ignore a troll.

Having said that, freedom of speech only goes so far. There's no right to freedom of speech here. It's a private forum.
  • We're not going to get all big brother in these forums. We want open discussion, even if annoying and offensive.
    I'm not censoring anything by closing a thread. I'm simply preventing repetition, aka, SPAM. If someone had something new to say, I would not close the thread.

It's all about equal protection. The same rules apply to all people here equally. If you want to ban Jen, tell me what rule did Jen break to justify the banning? If the rule doesn't exist, make one up. I'll then apply that rule equally to all members of the forum. I see a lot of other names on those pyramid threads up there, so be careful what you wish for. I also see a lot of you feeding the troll. If you want a troll to go away, but you also feed it, you have only yourself to blame if it sticks around. If you want it to die, starve it to death.

• On the grounds that it's making things a lot less enjoyable around here for all of us.

How is it annoying you? Are you incapable of ignoring it? We have a strong policy here of only regulating how people say things, not what they say. If you ignore them, they will go away. If you ignore them, and they still don't go away, what do you care? You're ignoring them, so it shouldn't bother you. The fact that it bothers you means its working. Welcome to the real world. There are annoying people out there. We're not going to get all big brother in these forums. We want open discussion, even if annoying and offensive.

If we ban Jen on the grounds of being an annoyance, or being offensive, then to remain fair we will have to ban many of you on the same grounds. I'm sure you don't want that.
    It is like having an eyelash in your eye, while you can still see, it is difficult to ignore and becomes increasingly uncomfortable as it continues. I have not responded to Jen, nor added to any of her topics. Every time I check the forum, I see her on there and while I am not responding to her, her threads and posts are there. I haven't found any of her posts funny let alone pertinent.
    Also, this isn't a democracy, you guys have the power, so freedom of speech does not exist on the board if you ever ban, hinder, or shut down any user or topic.
  • All the time you guys talk on the show about ''your awesome forum'' that ''aren't like the rest of the internet''. That's why people like using them. Now you're saying, ''our forum is awesome and unlike the rest of the internet, but only if you skip over parts of it''.
    They're awesome because of the awesome people here who aren't like people elsewhere on the Internet. I was hoping the people here were awesome enough to be able to not get upset with, but to laugh at or ignore, typical Internet shenanigans. Maybe the people aren't as awesome as we thought. Remember, you are the forum. It's as awesome as all of you make it. It's just software on my end.
  • edited August 2008
    All the time you guys talk on the show about ''your awesome forum'' that ''aren't like the rest of the internet''. That's why people like using them. Now you're saying, ''our forum is awesome and unlike the rest of the internet, but only if you skip over parts of it''.
    They're awesome because of the awesome people here who aren't like people elsewhere on the Internet. I was hoping the people here were awesome enough to be able to not get upset with, but to laugh at or ignore, typical Internet shenanigans. Maybe the people aren't as awesome as we thought. Remember, you are the forum. It's as awesome as all of you make it. It's just software on my end.
    Bullshit. You and Rym direct the forums, introduce topics, close topics, etc. Your idea of awesome and other people's ideas of awesome obviously differ. Also, I think you are Jen or that you know who Jen is and are encouraging him/her. Either way by allowing her to remain a part of the forum, you are basically giving the green light to crappy, annoying content. This lowers the quality of the quality of the forum.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • (sigh)

If you want me to be banned then I shall ban myself, but by my terms. In a couple days or so, I will make a thread with numerous riddles. If anyone (or group effort) can solve all of my riddles, I will banish myself from posting on this site ever again. (Exception: I will make one more post sometime around November.)

Let see how smart everyone is. Also, I will not allow a few people to partake in this challenge.

Those Banned From 'Ban Jen 4 EVA' Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------

One Sin - You're out. You're a killjoy, sorry.

Mrs. MacRoss – You're out. But, Mr.MacRoss is in. I fear Mr. MacRoss is a beaten man. So I will try to bring some joy to his life in the quest of banning me. Mr.MacRoss please seek help.

Myself - You're out. I can't allow a suspected mouth-breather to partake in this challenge.

Omnutia - You're out. Wait. You're In. The fact that I like bunnies and you have a nice bunny avatar keeps you in this contest.

HungryJoe - You're out. Wait. I don't care what Rym and Scott say behind your back, you're in.

Rym and Scott - Out. They say mean things about HungryJoe. And, they haven't reviewd Gurren Lagann yet.