This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Dumbest Generation?

Comments

• Whichever is the newest.
  • I think the second commenter had it right, we learned from the best. Every generation is called the "stupidest" by the generation before.

Get off my Lawn....
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    I think that has more to do with a bloated and ineffective educational system than with digital media.

If it wasn't for Librivox and gutenberg.org, Google Books and the Internet Classics Archive, I don't think I'd be very far along in consuming the Western canon. Since I'm not entirely sure where I got the idea that reading the Western canon was a worthwhile thing in the first place, there's also a decent chance the internet is responsible for that as well.

The internet is also a very good place to find bibliographies for obscure subjects (pre-Prohibition cocktail culture, Japanese tea service rituals, etc.) and communication access with the handful of dorks in the world with any interest or knowledge in the subject, some of which run in circles that you wouldn't have easy access to otherwise, like famous authors.

The internet does make it easier to be lowbrow. There was a time when the only people who would think your dead baby jokes weren't tasteless and tacky were a couple of your pals, now you can share them with millions of like-minded individuals. :) Also, I can't imagine what 4-chan would be like off-line or how it could exist.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • I think we are missing the most important thing here. Why is the Gundam a symbol of our generation? It really isn't that popular and only recognizable to small niche of a niche.

Now that the Gundam rant is over, we really aren't the dumbest generation. We are just taking advantage of the previous generation so that we don't do anything and weaken. It's a perpetual cycle until we are like everyone in Wall-E
  • The dumbest generation? Whatever one thinks Ethan Frome is a literary masterpiece.
  • edited August 2008
    As much as I'd not like to give this guy money, I am curious as to his rational. Unfortunately we don't get any sense of that from the Game Politics article, only the blanket statement.
    The dumbest generation? Whatever one thinksEthan Fromeis a literary masterpiece.
    Seconded.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • The dumbest generation? Whatever one thinksEthan Fromeis a literary masterpiece.
    I also agree. That was such a painful book.
    Whichever is the newest.
    I think this is it in a nutshell.

I believe that a lot of the missunderstanding is based on who is judging who and by what standards. With adults judging children based on the same standards they were taught to look for, any deviation would naturally count against the children who are judged. Say the parents thought intelligent children where very versed in subject A. If the child, instead, chooses to focus on subject B, thus spending less time studying subject A then, by the parents standards, the child is less intelligent. This is a highly simplified model, but I trust you get the picture. This becomes obscured by the sheer number of fields that can be studied. Overall, means of evaluating intelligence is always outdated because the people developing the evaluation techniques and the people being evaluated are two different generations.

Also, I would argue that you cannot compare the absolute intelligences of age groups that focused on such different fields of interest. How many people honestly believe that standardized testing is an accurate measure of intelligence or even knowledge, for that matter?
  • who is judging who and by what standards.
    Also consider it is the intelligent people of the previous generation judging the average of all the next generation. The stupid of the previous generation don't care about the intelligence of the next. Why would they?
  • Also consider it is the intelligent people of the previous generation judging the average of all the next generation. The stupid of the previous generation don't care about the intelligence of the next. Why would they?
    Good point. Also, with the capabilities of the internet, wouldn't the stupid stunts pulled of by this generation be more apparent than in the past?
  • The dumbest generation? Whatever one thinksEthan Fromeis a literary masterpiece.
    I'd say it was the generation that tried to make a virtue out of not doing its homework, i.e the generation that simply threw a large chunk of its education away.
    I'd say it was the generation that tried to make a virtue out of not doing its homework, i.e the generation that simply threw a large chunk of its education away.
    The generation that wasted their precious and short youth doing homework, and is now regretting it during their old age.
  • The generation that wasted their precious and short youth doing homework, and is now regretting it during their old age.
    I did homework and it helped me to retain skills and knowledge to the present day, so I'm not regretting much.
  • edited August 2008
    The dumbest generation? Whatever one thinksEthan Fromeis a literary masterpiece.
    Fuckin' A. I had to read that piece of wank twice in college. Rank.

Video games prove generations are getting smarter. Pong was novel but very difficult to the first generation of gamers. Today, 5-year-olds pick up the controls and complete multiple objectives in complete game worlds to complex in-depth storylines. Imagine your grandfather picking up any of the Metal Gear Solid titles at your age. Think what a confused fish-out-of-water he would be, lost against what he would see as the overwhelming sensory demands of the game!

I don't want to live in a world where each successive generation does not surpass me. The whole point is to get better, to become smarter, to master your environment with greater tenacity and to solve bigger problems.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I did homework and it helped me to retain skills and knowledge to the present day, so I'm not regretting much.
    I did as little homework as possible, and I'm doing a lot better than a lot of those people who stayed up all night working.
  • Homework is an important part of education; it's not the most important part, but you've got to apply some of what you know to cement it.

I did my homework during my entire pre-college career. Still doesn't make Ethan Frome suck any less.
  • I did homework and it helped me to retain skills and knowledge to the present day, so I'm not regretting much.
    I did as little homework as possible, and I'm doing a lot better than a lot of those people who stayed up all night working.
    Maybe we can just agree that you are somewhat of a special case. There are probably only a few people in history that can come anywhwere close to your brilliance. I used to think that if Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Einstein got together, they might collectively approximate a fraction of your talent, but I'm beginning to see that I'm wrong about that.

Most of us mortals need to study and do homework because we weren't blessed with such brilliance.

• Maybe we can just agree that you are somewhat of a special case. There are probably only a few people in history that can come anywhwere close to your brilliance. I used to think that if Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Einstein got together, they might collectively approximate a fraction of your talent, but I'm beginning to see that I'm wrong about that.

Most of us mortals need to study and do homework because we weren't blessed with such brilliance.
    I also never took notes. I also know that Rym didn't do any of these things either.

I would just like to point out, again, that while my grades were good enough in school to get me where I am today, they were not perfect. If I had actually worked hard, I probably could have gotten all As, got more scholarships, gone to the ivy leagues, etc. If that's what you want to do, then homework is where you should be. I wanted to be where I am today, and I achieved that with as little pain as possible. Why do unpleasant work if it isn't necessary to achieve your goal?

• Maybe we can just agree that you are somewhat of a special case. There are probably only a few people in history that can come anywhwere close to your brilliance. I used to think that if Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Einstein got together, they might collectively approximate a fraction of your talent, but I'm beginning to see that I'm wrong about that.

I also never took notes. I also know that Rym didn't do any of these things either.

I would just like to point out, again, that while my grades were good enough in school to get me where I am today, they were not perfect. If I had actually worked hard, I probably could have gotten all As, got more scholarships, gone to the ivy leagues, etc. If that's what you want to do, then homework is where you should be. I wanted to be where I am today, and I achieved that with as little pain as possible. Why do unpleasant work if it isn't necessary to achieve your goal?
    Some people learn for its own sake.
  • Some people learn for its own sake.
    Yeah, I was learning about technology, for my own sake.
  • edited August 2008
    It seems a lot of it has to do with how focused you are. If you know that all you want is to have a career in technology than a general education might not be a very high priority. But there are plenty of people who are equally driven but have many different fields that they would like to academically explore. Personally, I studied my ass off for most of the classes I took. If I didn't like the class, I figured that it was because I'm frustrated by my lack of knowledge and skill in that field.
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • jccjcc
    edited August 2008
    I am a bear. Please do not feed me.
    Homework is what happens when a subject is presented so that a person finds it fascinating enough to look into it after they've gone home for the day. If homework needs to be forced, then something is wrong in the instruction or the person has picked the wrong course of study.

Do you think the author's complaint against video games might have to do with the infancy of the medium? With a lot of video games, you invest a bunch of time and effort, but the logic involved is video game logic and the choices are video game choices, so in the end you don't really get anything from a lot of them besides cheap thrills. Sort of like how there was a time when the bulk of sci-fi and comics were trashy pulp-style adventure stuff that wasn't really designed to make you think. That's not to say that all video games are like this, but if someone were to give a cursory examination of what the kids these days spent their time playing, it probably wouldn't be stuff like Natural Selection or complex strategy games. More Halo, Smash Brothers, Guitar Hero, Mario Kart, Grand Theft Auto, Pokemon, that sort of thing.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • edited August 2008
    Well that's where we differ I suppose. I would like to learn as much as I can. Despite that, I rarely ever did my homework last year, and in return I got an 87 in Algebra 2. I plan on actually trying this year, mainly because I am much more determined to learn and I have better classes. The thing is, even though I got a lower grade than some people, I feel I understand the concepts much more. I cared less about the stupid computations and techniques to get an answer, and more about why the answer was needed. Schools apparently care none about critical thought, and all about getting a higher number for more students.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • Well that's where we differ I suppose. I would like to learn as much as I can. Despite that, I rarely ever did my homework last year, and in return I got an 87 in Algebra 2. I plan on actually trying this year, mainly because I am much more determined to learn and I have better classes. The thing is, even though I got a lower grade than some people, I feel I understand the concepts much more. I cared less about the stupid computations and techniques to get an answer, and more about why the answer was needed. Schools apparently care none about critical thought, and all about getting a higher number for more students.
    An 87 is an awesome grade. What are you disappointed about?
  • If you know that all you want is to have a career in technology than a general education might not be a very high priority.
    General education was incredibly important to me. I loved calculus, diffeq, physics, music, writing, and so forth. We had freaking integration parties on weekends (not for extra credit or upon any prompting from a teacher, but because we thought it was fun). I learned, and I practiced, and I cared, and I was deeply focused on bettering myself as much as possible. Despite this, I didn't do "homework."

Learning isn't work unless you're either bad at it, or you don't actually want to be learning the information at hand. There was never once value in any of the homework I was ever assigned in elementary, middle, or high school, and I would have learned nothing further by actually doing it. Papers and projects, I did, but never homework. All As, 41 AP credits coming into school, plus night classes at a local college because my school didn't offer advanced chemistry, tell me that I made the right choice.
  • I cared less about the stupid computations and techniques to get an answer, and more about why the answer was needed.
    Both sides are critical to a well-rounded education. Lots of people say they know the theory, but unless you can put it into practice, you effectively don't.
  • An 87 is an awesome grade. What are you disappointed about?
    An 87 is a "B". While that may be "acceptable", it is certainly not "awesome".
    General education was incredibly important to me. I loved calculus, diffeq, physics, music, writing, and so forth. We had freaking integration parties on weekends (not for extra credit or upon any prompting from a teacher, but because we thought it was fun). I learned, and I practiced, and I cared, and I was deeply focused on bettering myself as much as possible. Despite this, I didn't do "homework."

Learning isn't work unless you're either bad at it, or you don't actually want to be learning the information at hand. There was never once value in any of the homework I was ever assigned in elementary, middle, or high school, and I would have learned nothing further by actually doing it. Papers and projects, I did, but never homework. All As, 41 AP credits coming into school, plus night classes at a local college because my school didn't offer advanced chemistry, tell me that I made the right choice.
    Yes, we all know that you're both supergeniuses with eidetic memories, the future's so bright you gotta wear shades, blahpitty blahpitty blah and la dee freakin' da.

The reality is that we're not all supergeniuses with eidetic memories. Most people have to work to gain knowledge and skills and retain them; and even if they enjoy the work, it's still work. That work is practice. You admit that you practiced, even though apparently you were so smart you were able to begin substituting your judgment for your teacher's regarding what was useful practice at a very early age. Most of us do not have that superior judgment and wisdom.

Furthermore, there are many among us that grew up in areas where calculus parties were impossible because there were no other people around. It's pretty hard to have a calculus party with a horse. I'm glad I did my homework.
  • Furthermore, there are many among us that grew up in areas where calculus parties were impossible because there were no other people around.
    I would submit that urban environments are thus better for the educational development of children. ^_~
    so smart you were able to begin substituting your judgment for your teacher's regarding what was useful practice at a very early age.
    I blame schools for not having any way to deal with above or below average children. The former are bored and spiteful, while the latter struggle constantly.
  • edited August 2008
    Furthermore, there are many among us that grew up in areas where calculus parties were impossible because there were no other people around.
    I would submit that urban environments are thus better for the educational development of children. ^_~
    Yes, and homework filled that gap. I did my homework, and I'll submit that I retained skills and knoweledge that a lot of you posh kids lost.
    I blame schools for not having any way to deal with above or below average children. The former are bored and spiteful, while the latter struggle constantly.
    Maybe you could put that tremendous brainpower to use and solve that problem. It's only been a problem for as long as there has been a public education system and people have been working on it for more than a hundred years. I'll bet you could solve it over lunch.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'll bet you could solve it over lunch.
    Solving the problem is easy. Implementing that solution is, shall we say, difficult.

The Soviets were actually pretty close, all things considered. While there were, to be sure, serious problems with their educational system, it was in many ways a huge step in the right direction. Coupling their good ideas with the useful aspects of both the existing US and Japanese school systems, I think we could have a winner.

I actually have a fairly specific idea, but I'll have to elaborate later.
  • After serious issues with the education system I had inflicted on me, I'm really up for home schooling my children. It isn't possible for many people due to the cost or time, but my girlfriend and I have a lifestyle that would fit it fine. On the other hand, my girlfriend went to school in Germany, to a Gymnasium, which is a different/higher level school for those who apply and get in. She had a great time at school and a much better education than I did.