This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Who thinks it would be epic to hear a review of Gurren Lagann from Rym and Scott?

Comments

• edited August 2008
    "Oh, such big egos?" I portrayed you bemoaning their egos, as you are wont to do. You are also included in the "various girls," so that kinda sums up your reaction in that thread.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • This is an oxymoronic statement.
    Says the MacRoss who doesn't like Macross. :P ^_~
  • edited August 2008
    "Oh, such big egos?" I portrayed you bemoaning their egos, as you are wont to do. You are also included in the "various girls," so does that really sum up your reaction in that thread.
    No, I am not various girls. Various girls refers to Rym and Scott fan girls.
    This is an oxymoronic statement.
    Says the MacRoss who doesn't like Macross. :P ^_~
    True. I would probably hate Macross - I have never seen it - but I am fairly certain I would dislike it.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • True. I would probably hate Macross - I have never seen it - but I am fairly certain I would dislike it.
    The only reason you would dislike it is because you have preconceived notions and prejudice. You see a robot, or anything resembling a large mechanical machine, and you immediately decide that there can be no value. Anime that happen to have mecha in them have such a large amount of diversity ranging from crap like G Gundam on one end all the way to stuff like Escaflowne and Laputa. You really do yourself a disservice dismissing mecha out of hand, even when you readily admit you know nothing about it, and refuse to watch any. You're knocking what you haven't tried. The original Macross is largely a romance story.
  • it's a very good mecha series.
    This is an oxymoronic statement.
    That's what I thought, then I watched Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
    If that is how my comments appear to be to you then, well, I don't particularly care. My comments are my opinions, always have been and always will be, just like everyone's comments are their own opinions despite however much evidence can be brought forward; unless, of course, if it relates to raw science.
    *facepalm*
  • True. I would probably hate Macross - I have never seen it - but I am fairly certain I would dislike it.
    The only reason you would dislike it is because you have preconceived notions and prejudice. You see a robot, or anything resembling a large mechanical machine, and you immediately decide that there can be no value. Anime that happen to have mecha in them have such a large amount of diversity ranging from crap like G Gundam on one end all the way to stuff like Escaflowne and Laputa. You really do yourself a disservice dismissing mecha out of hand, even when you readily admit you know nothing about it, and refuse to watch any. You're knocking what you haven't tried. The original Macross is largely a romance story.
    Stop putting words in my mouth, Scott. I dislike the aesthetic of mechs. I do not find them visually appealing. That is the main reason why I do not enjoy many mech shows. Anime is a visual medium and if I do not enjoy the visual, it is difficult to appreciate the rest f the work. I am also not entertained or interested in most war or battle stories. As mechs and war/battle stories usually go hand in hand, I tend to avoid them. There are shows that include mechs that I have enjoyed watching/would like to watch including Escaflowne, Laputa, Eva, etc. I am not so prejudiced that I cannot enjoy a show with mechs. It simply has to be good enough to outweigh my personal preferences. You have personal preferences and prejudices too, Scott. Why are mine somehow invalid and yours okay? I am not saying other people should not/could not enjoy a mech show. I am just saying that most mech shows are not FOR me.
  • You have personal preferences and prejudices too, Scott. Why are mine somehow invalid and yours okay?
    Because I watch something before I say I don't like it. Every mech show is different. It is clear from what you are saying that your idea of what these shows are like does not match up with reality.
  • You have personal preferences and prejudices too, Scott. Why are mine somehow invalid and yours okay?
    Because I watch something before I say I don't like it. Every mech show is different. It is clear from what you are saying that your idea of what these shows are like does not match up with reality.
    Excuse me? I just explained why I do not enjoy most mech shows, but that there are some that I do. I also put in the caveat that I "almost certainly" would not enjoy it. Thus leaving room to be wrong. The aesthetic of mechs does not appeal to me. For me the visual is a detriment to the show, that does not mean that I automatically dislike a show. If someone whose opinions I respect recommends that I watch a mech show, then I give it a shot. Stop trying to make me into something I am not and stop putting words in my mouth.
  • Because I watch something before I say I don't like it.
    Then you'd better play WoW before you say you dislike it.
  • Because I watch something before I say I don't like it.
    Then you'd better play WoW before you say you dislike it.
    I did, once way back, for like 10 minutes at a demo thingy. I've also watched it being played a great deal more than that. One of these days we'll do the demo thingy. We both have fast PCs now right? Right after we beat Bionic Commando ten more times. And then Left 4 Dead, and Multiwinia, and Spore, and yeah. WoW's going to have to wait.

I'd say if someone watched 10 minutes of Macross they would know if they actually liked it or not. Maybe the whole first episode would be necessary, but not really more than that.
  • Scott is right. SDF Macross is a really good romantic story. The mechas are used as a medium to tell the main story. Just like Patlabor is not really about mechas but it is more a detective story. If you really do not have the time to watch all SDF Macross episodes I would recommend to watch Macross: Do You Remember Love? . I would recommend it even if you think you might not like it, I thought that it would be boring but it was awesome and I didn't even care about mechas back then.
    Then again I did liked G Gundam :P
  • edited August 2008
    Scott is right. SDF Macross is a really good romantic story. The mechas are used as a medium to tell the main story. Just like Patlabor is not really about mechas but it is more a detective story. If you really do not have the time to watch all SDF Macross episodes I would recommend to watch Macross: Do You Remember Love? . I would recommend it even if you think you might not like it, I thought that it would be boring but it was awesome and I didn't even care about mechas back then.
    Here is the question though, with my precious free time should I seek out (and possibly pay money for) something that has a certain negative me (despite whatever other positives it has) and watch enough of it to fulfil Scott's litmus test of liking, or should I invest my time and money in something that doesn't already have a strike against it (in so far as my tastes go)?
  • edited August 2008
    You know. Now that I think about it. Someone who doesn't like mecha shows, might actually find G Gundam ironically entertaining, the same way I find Fist of the North Star ironically entertaining. I mean, seriously, nationality stereotype gundams.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Then again I did liked G Gundam :P
    You know. Now that I think about it. Someone who doesn't like mecha shows, might actually find G Gundam ironically entertaining, the same way I find Fist of the North Star ironically entertaining. I mean, seriously, nationality stereotype gundams.
    I guess it depends on why they don't like mech shows.
  • Scott is right. SDF Macross is a really good romantic story. The mechas are used as a medium to tell the main story. Just like Patlabor is not really about mechas but it is more a detective story. If you really do not have the time to watch all SDF Macross episodes I would recommend to watch Macross: Do You Remember Love? . I would recommend it even if you think you might not like it, I thought that it would be boring but it was awesome and I didn't even care about mechas back then.
    Here is the question though, with my precious free time should I seek out (and possibly pay money for) something that has a certain negative me (despite whatever other positives it has) and watch enough of it to fulfil Scott's litmus test of liking, or should I invest my time and money in something that doesn't already have a strike against it (in so far as my tastes go)?
    The good thing about Macross: Do You Remember Love? Is that is not licensed in America, so you can download it. But if you are like Paul Chapman (from the Greast Movie Ever Podcast) and you are against downloading "illegally" movies from the interweb then there is not much I can say about that.

Also G Gundam is not really a mecha show. Is more like a Super Kung Fu show with martial artists that happen to fight with robots. Also, at its heart it is also a romance story :P

I will never forget you Master Asia!
  • Scott, the best example of sterotyped Gundams in that show is the one from Mexico, the Tequila Gundam:
  • Hey, don't mess with Chico Rodriguez! :P
  • I guess it depends on why they don't like mech shows.
    Mrs. MacRoss, I'd say, download the first few episodes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and watch them, if it doesn't click, it just doesn't click. And for your information, I too dislike the majority of mecha designs. Sure, I grin at the Spanish bull mecha, but other than the huge bull face it's crap imho. Mexican mecha... eh, yeah?
  • I guess it depends onwhythey don't like mech shows.
    Mrs. MacRoss, I'd say, download the first few episodes of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and watch them, if it doesn't click, it just doesn't click. And for your information, I too dislike the majority of mecha designs. Sure, I grin at the Spanish bull mecha, but other than the huge bull face it's crap imho. Mexican mecha... eh, yeah?
    But I have other shows that do not have mechs in them that I want to watch. When I run out of those, or they stop tripping my trigger, I will download this show.
  • IMO it looks like Mrs. MacRoss made a silly statement, and now cant back it up too well. Also, good mecha shows= Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, Escaflowne, Code Geass. Stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is mostly meant to be an extended, awesome action show, which takes an already high amount of energy and blasts it up to and unimaginable scale. "*cough cough* a galactic scale." By the way, why the hell are you even bothering to compare good mecha to Gundam G, its like comparing Bakugan to Death Note.
  • IMO it looks like Mrs. MacRoss made a silly statement, and now cant back it up too well. Also, good mecha shows= Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, Escaflowne, Code Geass. Stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is mostly meant to be an extended, awesome action show, which takes an already high amount of energy and blasts it up to and unimaginable scale. "*cough cough* a galactic scale." By the way, why the hell are you even bothering to compare good mecha to Gundam G, its like comparing Bakugan to Death Note.
    G Gundam is not a mecha show is a Super Robot Kung Fu fighting show and that alone makes it awesome :D
  • I suppose I'm the odd one out then. I already heard a review for Gurren Lagann from both Dave and Joel, and the greatest anime people to ever live the Anime World Order. ^.^ If truth be told when it comes to Wed I listen mainly for comic books though I will say (and this is going old school here) the review of Zaizen Jotaro was awesome. Not so awesome I would seek it out (unlike the review of Odin....DAMN YOU DARRYL STUART!!!!!But you are still awesome..) Not that I disagree with Rym and Scott anime taste because it is all great. (Trigun, Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, and the list goes on..) But it just doesn't feel like all the other shows where they are introducing me to something new but with that said I also do have to say that I was an Otaku coming into this show so to be fair it is great that both of you are introducing people to the great anime to begin with so it wouldn't be fair to say that they are not good reviews I just already know its awesome.
  • DARRYL STUART
    His name is Daryl Surrat.
  • DARRYL STUART
    Surat. One R. You both fail.
  • DARRYL STUART
    Surat. One R. You both fail.
    -.- Damn... I have failed at life... Just take away my internet right now..
  • Jesus! I visit the forums one month later to see if Scrym had any decent insight into TTGL and I find otaku and anime geeks ganging up on someone simply because she politely disagreed with everyone else's viewpoints? Has the Geeknights podcast/forums really descended into near-C NET mediocrity?

Although I enjoy Gurren Lagann I have to say that the show's messages, overbearing/overconfident attitudes of the cast and fighting metal faces isn't for everyone. At times I was ready to delete the episodes from my iPod but I'm giving it a chance.

To Scott: seriously, how the hell can your head hold that ego? News flash: a listener not agreeing with your viewpoints or having different tastes in mecha doesn't make the listener wrong. Your "that's a stupid way of living/breathing/thinking" attitude has got to stop. If this thread is an indication of what Geeknights is becoming then ouch...
  • News flash: a listener not agreeing with your viewpoints or having different tastes in mecha doesn't make the listener wrong.
    That's not a listener, that's a member of the FRC. Internally, we argue like that constantly and unceasingly. To any non-FRC person who's spent any private time with the crew, we've been described as intense to say the very least.

Opinions are battles. Polite disagreements are wars. That's how we roll. ^_^
  • I never said I didn't like Gundam G, I'm just trying to say you cant compare oranges to apples. Or chocolate to waffle-cheese-apple-bacon-sandwiches (yes I have in fact ate one, and it was really awesome).
  • I never said I didn't like Gundam G, I'm just trying to say you cant compare oranges to apples. Or chocolate to waffle-cheese-apple-bacon-sandwiches (yes I have in fact ateeaten one, and it was really awesome).
  • edited September 2008
    IMO it looks like Mrs. MacRoss made a silly statement, and now cant back it up too well. Also, good mecha shows= Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, Escaflowne, Code Geass. Stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is mostly meant to be an extended, awesome action show, which takes an already high amount of energy and blasts it up to and unimaginable scale. "*cough cough* a galactic scale." By the way, why the hell are you even bothering to compare good mecha to Gundam G, its like comparing Bakugan to Death Note.
    Can't back it up? It is personal taste. I explained it as far as taste can be explained. Not everyone enjoys Jane Austen films as much as I do, or even likes them at all. That is fine by me... it is called personal preference.
    News flash: a listener not agreeing with your viewpoints or having different tastes in mecha doesn't make the listener wrong.
    That's not a listener, that's a member of the FRC. Internally, we argue like that constantly and unceasingly. To any non-FRC person who's spent any private time with the crew, we've been described asintenseto say the very least. Opinions are battles. Polite disagreements are wars. That's how we roll. ^_^
    It does get crazy out of hand at times. That being said, any one that wants to or has the ability to ignore the argument of the moment just engages in friendly conversation with someone else or entertains themselves with games, books, shows, etc. until the argument fizzles (so no one has to be that INTENSE all the time in the FRC).