This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Who thinks it would be epic to hear a review of Gurren Lagann from Rym and Scott?

13»

Comments

• edited September 2008
    IMO it looks like Mrs. MacRoss made a silly statement, and now cant back it up too well. Also, good mecha shows= Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, Escaflowne, Code Geass. Stuff like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is mostly meant to be an extended, awesome action show, which takes an already high amount of energy and blasts it up to and unimaginable scale. "*cough cough* a galactic scale." By the way, why the hell are you even bothering to compare good mecha to Gundam G, its like comparing Bakugan to Death Note.
    Can't back it up? It is personal taste. I explained it as far as taste can be explained. Not everyone enjoys Jane Austen films as much as I do, or even likes them at all. That is fine by me... it is calledpersonalpreference.News flash: a listener not agreeing with your viewpoints or having different tastes in mecha doesn't make the listener wrong.
    That's not a listener, that's a member of the FRC. Internally, we argue like that constantly and unceasingly. To any non-FRC person who's spent any private time with the crew, we've been described asintenseto say the very least. Opinions are battles. Polite disagreements are wars. That's how we roll. ^_^It does get crazy out of hand at times. That being said, any one that wants to or has the ability to ignore the argument of the moment just engages in friendly conversation with someone else or entertains themselves with games, books, shows, etc. until the argument fizzles (so no one has to be that INTENSE all the time in the FRC). And what I'm trying to say is that no matter the genre, each show is different and should be treated all equally until watched. Then you can criticize it.
    Post edited by otakuofthenorth on
  • And what I'm trying to say is that no matter the genre, each show is different and should be treated all equally until watched. Then you can criticize it.
    Is that really how you live your life? You have no personal preferences? You have no conventions, aesthetics, subject matter, creators, actors, writers, etc. that appeal to you more or less than others? Based on that you don't make educated guesses about your enjoyment of something before you view it? You consume any and every genre of any art form? How long should you expose yourself to a show before you make any judgments about it? Must someone watch all of Naruto to make a judgment as to whether they like it or not, even if they really dislike tournament shows. I am not saying that mech shows suck, just that I tend not to enjoy the ones I have seen. I have already said that I have enjoyed some shows that involve mechs. I don't get this argument. Had I said that I do not enjoy the aesthetic and conventions of impressionist paintings and that I was not going to go view an exhibit of new impressionist works, I doubt anyone would think that making such an informed choice based on my known personal preferences was so outrageous. Why should it be different with other media? I am open to watch certain mech shows based on recommendations form friends or my husband, because they are also make educated, informed recommendations. They know me well enough to know my tastes. Seriously, I doubt anyone will just watch, read, view, and buy everything and anything without discrimination with their limited time and money.
  • And what I'm trying to say is that no matter the genre, each show is different and should be treated all equally until watched.
    You're right, french toast and a turd should be treated equally until you've eaten both of them.
  • edited September 2008
    You're right, french toast and a turd should be treated equally until you've eaten both of them.
    Of course not. Nor should you value the opinions of other people who know more about turd, because their having eaten turd means they are unworthy of respect.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Let's say someone doesn't like Jane Austen films. That's perfectly acceptable. They honestly aren't that popular, all things considered. But let's say someone comes along and says that they hate Jane Austen films because of all the really gory violence. While nobody is saying they have to like the films, it is painfully obvious that their dislike is not based on a fair assessment of the material. By demonstrating ignorance of the work they are critiquing, their prejudice is laid bare. Everyone who knows about Jane Austen films knows that this person is knocking them without having tried them.

There is no way to exactly measure the point at which someone has tried something enough to give a fair appraisal. It's a very subjective thing. It doesn't really matter either. If you want to critique something, you just have to demonstrate a sufficient level of knowledge in the subject matter, and nobody will accuse you of prejudice. If you want to be prejudiced against something, it is wise to only express that prejudice among company that won't call you out on it. If you express that prejudice on a public Internet forum, of all places, how could you not expect to come under attack?

There is something to be said for the fact that there is so much media in the world, and so little time and money. One approach to this is to spend your entertainment consuming time on things which you are more likely to enjoy, and to avoid those you are more likely to dislike. However, there is also something to be said for variety. If you've only got so little time, and you've already decided to spend some of it consuming media, then you should try to consume a little bit of everything before you gorge yourself on the few varieties you enjoy the most.

There is also something to be said for going to the "best" art instead of just your favorites. Many many people find Citizen Kane incredibly boring, but it is still something that anyone who ever watches a movie should see. Seeing that movie gives you a new context that you carry with you when you watch other movies. Familiarity with the greats gives you a new perspective through which you can enjoy other works on a higher level. If you haven't seen the Mona Lisa, then how do you judge some other paintings? If you haven't listened to Mozart or Beethoven, then can you really fully appreciate and understand new music?

I don't want to suggest that shows like Gundam, Macross, or Evangelion are on the same artistic level as Citizen Kane or the Mona Lisa. However, it is difficult to overstate their significance in the medium of Japanese television animation. These shows are must watches for any anime fan. Even if you end up really hating these shows, an intimate knowledge of them allows you to put other anime in a proper artistic context. There is a great deal of value to extract from the experience of watching these incredibly important shows, even if it isn't in the form of direct and immediate entertainment.
  • Let's say someone doesn't like Jane Austen films. That's perfectly acceptable. They honestly aren't that popular, all things considered. But let's say someone comes along and says that they hate Jane Austen films because of all the really gory violence. While nobody is saying they have to like the films, it is painfully obvious that their dislike is not based on a fair assessment of the material. By demonstrating ignorance of the work they are critiquing, their prejudice is laid bare. Everyone who knows about Jane Austen films knows that this person is knocking them without having tried them.

There is no way to exactly measure the point at which someone has tried something enough to give a fair appraisal. It's a very subjective thing. It doesn't really matter either. If you want to critique something, you just have to demonstrate a sufficient level of knowledge in the subject matter, and nobody will accuse you of prejudice. If you want to be prejudiced against something, it is wise to only express that prejudice among company that won't call you out on it. If you express that prejudice on a public Internet forum, of all places, how could you not expect to come under attack?

There is something to be said for the fact that there is so much media in the world, and so little time and money. One approach to this is to spend your entertainment consuming time on things which you are more likely to enjoy, and to avoid those you are more likely to dislike. However, there is also something to be said for variety. If you've only got so little time, and you've already decided to spend some of it consuming media, then you should try to consume a little bit of everything before you gorge yourself on the few varieties you enjoy the most.

There is also something to be said for going to the "best" art instead of just your favorites. Many many people find Citizen Kane incredibly boring, but it is still something that anyone who ever watches a movie should see. Seeing that movie gives you a new context that you carry with you when you watch other movies. Familiarity with the greats gives you a new perspective through which you can enjoy other works on a higher level. If you haven't seen the Mona Lisa, then how do you judge some other paintings? If you haven't listened to Mozart or Beethoven, then can you really fully appreciate and understand new music?

I don't want to suggest that shows like Gundam, Macross, or Evangelion are on the same artistic level as Citizen Kane or the Mona Lisa. However, it is difficult to overstate their significance in the medium of Japanese television animation. These shows are must watches for any anime fan. Even if you end up really hating these shows, an intimate knowledge of them allows you to put other anime in a proper artistic context. There is a great deal of value to extract from the experience of watching these incredibly important shows, even if it isn't in the form of direct and immediate entertainment.
    So... is there a Gurren Lagann review in the works?
  • I have three things to say: One, I'm a fucking retard. Two I'm a fucking retard, and three, I'm a fucking retard. I sincerely apologize. To be honest I didnt even mean it that way. I swear that if I ever meet you I will buy you a manga(no joke I mean that). Until then I'll attempt to be less of an asshole and attempt to be more mature by putting this convo back on track.

Will there one day be a review of Gurren Lagann?
  • I'm watching anime series at a rate of about one tv series per month, and that's pretty good actually. Thank the iPhone. Seeing at the Lagann DVDs are looking like a good deal, the show isn't too far down the list, but it's certainly not at the top.
  • Thanks Scott, do conversations go this out of hand on this forum often? lol
  • Thanks Scott, do conversations go this out of hand on this forum often? lol
    What's out of hand?
  • Ehem...any development on this front? Have you guys seen this series yet, or is it still too "far down the list"?
  • Gurren Lagann can only be talked about by the most manly of men. The Scrym are not manly men.
  • Gurren Lagann can only be talked about by the most manly of men. The Scrym are not manly men.
    I guess that means Pete and I will be reviewing it :-p
  • I got the first two episodes for free on iTunes, dubbed. I tried to watch the first one, but it was so painful, I couldn't handle it. I'll try again later with some subtitles.
  • I got the first two episodes for free on iTunes, dubbed. I tried to watch the first one, but it was so painful, I couldn't handle it. I'll try again later with some subtitles.
    What the hell, Scott?! You SOURED your first Gurren Lagann experience with the DUB?! You've got to be kidding me!
    What the hell, Scott?! You SOURED your first Gurren Lagann experience with the DUB?! You've got to be kidding me!
    t'll be that much sweeter now when he does the subs.
    I dunno, I'm thinking that Scrym would be the type of guys that would quickly discard the series because of a bad initial experience.
  • You know ScRym, it will be a year before they watch it and then they'll do a show with no spoilers and instead of doing a spoilers line they have a final thoughts show 2 years later. I'm still waiting for Gundam SEED final thoughts and it's been 3 or so years.
    I dunno, I'm thinking that Scrym would be the type of guys that would quickly discard the series because of a bad initial experience.
    They've basically said as much themselves, both in the podcast and on the forum, numerous times.
  • edited December 2008
    Funny, I'm actually watching Macross this very second.

Highly suggest giving the first disk a watch; it's really more space opera than mecha. Perhaps Mech Opera.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • They've basically said as much themselves, both in the podcast and on the forum, numerous times.
    That is, indeed, quite saddening.