This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tablet PC questions

Comments

• edited March 2009
    That's some very special logic you're using there Scott. How many times does it say "Tablet PC" and not "Laptop with a tablet on it somewhere" on the page I linked to?

@Gomidog: Does this site help? They have some Top 10 lists of popular tablets. Just click on one you like the look of, find the reviews section, Ctrl+F (or whatever Mac people use) and type "Wacom".
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That's some very special logic you're using there Scott. How many times does it say "Tablet PC" and not "Laptop with a tablet on it somewhere" on the page I linked to?
    What do you think I'm stupid? I've looked at all those manufacturers sites. I checked them again just now. There is no such machine. Go look. Prove me wrong.
  • edited March 2009
    Buy a laptop, buy a Cintiq, turn on the computer put it in the bag, you can do pretty much everything with the stylus alone, it would be just 3 cables coming out of the bag, 1 for the headphones, 2 for the Cintiq, it all sounds nice and well... until you realize, you need to plug in the power to the Cintiq.
    The Cintiq needs to plug into the wall? It doesn't run on USB power or batteries? WTF? If that's the case, how do they put them in the modbook?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • That's some very special logic you're using there Scott. How many times does it say "Tablet PC" and not "Laptop with a tablet on it somewhere" on the page I linked to?
    What do you think I'm stupid? I've looked at all those manufacturers sites. I checked them again just now. There is no such machine. Go look. Prove me wrong.
    Psst.. Google.
  • Buy a laptop, buy a Cintiq, turn on the computer put it in the bag, you can do pretty much everything with the stylus alone, it would be just 3 cables coming out of the bag, 1 for the headphones, 2 for the Cintiq, it all sounds nice and well... until you realize, you need to plug in the power to the Cintiq.
    if you're getting a Cintiq, you might as well just ducktape it to the laptop.
  • Psst.. Google.
    You're a moron. What do you fucking think? I Googled. I Googled a lot. You go and Google and find an actual machine that is sold today that is a tablet PC with Wacom on the screen. There isn't one.
  • edited March 2009
    Buy a laptop, buy a Cintiq, turn on the computer put it in the bag, you can do pretty much everything with the stylus alone, it would be just 3 cables coming out of the bag, 1 for the headphones, 2 for the Cintiq, it all sounds nice and well... until you realize, you need to plug in the power to the Cintiq.
    The Cintiq needs to plug into the wall? It doesn't run on USB power or batteries? WTF? If that's the case, how do they put them in the modbook?
    It's running as a second screen whereas the Modbook is an MBP screen with the Wacom overlay.
  • Right, quiet down Scott. Click one of these, got to the "our review" link and then Ctrl+F for the word "Wacom". You'll have to press it a few times to get past the Cintiq in the side-bar.
  • Right, quiet down Scott. Clickone of these, got to the "our review" link and then Ctrl+F for the word "Wacom". You'll have to press it a few times to get past the Cintiq in the side-bar.
    There is no "our review" link on that site. The only mention of the word wacom is in the sidebar. Why don't you just named the make and model? Oh, because there is no such thing.
  • edited March 2009
    no such thing.
    Seriously hashing my mellow, dude.
    The pen is solid, but still your basic pen. It reads the screen when it's about an inch above and then disables the touchscreen, this way your hand doesn't interfere when writing. Some users rest their palm on the screen and since the tx2500 also has a touchscreen you might think this would cause a problem, but it doesn't. The Wacom technology used is great, just remember you can't keep picking the pen up or the touch feature will be activated again and your hand might be detected. The pen has an eraser on the end as well, which is a feature I like especially when taking notes because you can flip the pen over and erase your mistakes, it's very convenient.
    I'd assume that all Wacom pens are interoperable so you can take your favorite with you.
  • edited March 2009
    There is no "our review" link on that site. The only mention of the word wacom is in the sidebar. Why don't you just named the make and model? Oh, because there is no such thing.
    Yes, there is, but you didn't follow Omnutia's advice on how to find it. You have to click the name of the product to go to the product page, and then at the top just below the bar with the picture of the product in question, there is a "Our Review" link.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • There is no "our review" link on that site. The only mention of the word wacom is in the sidebar. Why don't you just named the make and model? Oh, because there is no such thing.
    Yes, there is, but you didn't follow Omnutia's advice on how to find it. You have to click the name of the product to go to the product page, and then at the top just below the bar with the picture of the product in question, there is a "Our Review" link.
    There are multiple products on that page.

All I'm asking is for the make and model number. Is that so hard? It shouldn't be if it is for a product that actually exists.
  • Oh no, there are multiple products on that page! What am I to do!?
  • edited March 2009
    look at the:

HP Pavilion tx2510us Entertainment - Turion X2 Ultra mobile technology ZM
    Fujitsu LifeBook T5010 Tablet PC - Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz - 13.3

Was it really that hard to just mention the names of the computers?

HP Pavilion
    Fujitsu

or just link them?

BTW from what I've heard the tabletPC types are ok, but not quite there yet.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Oh no, there are multiple products on that page! What am I to do!?
    The fact that you can't name which one of them has the technology tells me that you didn't bother to actually look at any of them. I've already done the research on this. You are the one telling me I'm wrong. Yet, you have failed to provide even one actual example to support your claim. All you've succeeded at is trying to tell me how to do research.

Either give an example of an actual product that has the desired features, or admit you are wrong.
  • edited March 2009
    @MrRoboto: I suppose it's not like I linked to them or anything but, Scott shouldn't be playing dumb, in a non satirical way, just to prove a point.
    So Scott, how about an apology?
  • edited March 2009

HP Pavilion tx2510us Entertainment - Turion X2 Ultra mobile technology ZM
    Fujitsu LifeBook T5010 Tablet PC - Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz - 13.3
    All those reviews say is that the company, Wacom, makes the screens. It doesn't say whether those screens have the same accuracy and pressure sensitivity that the cintiq's have.

EDIT: This is what someone had to say about the HP.
    The pen, although it has pressure sensitivity is nowhere near as nice as a wacom tablet or cintiq.
    Also, the HP is not listed for sale at HP's web site. Much like the Toshiba and the Gateway tablets with Wacom, it's probably discontinued.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2009
    They probably aren't on the same level as the Cintiq but the Cintiq isn't really feasible due to it's need for power. However they should be better than my Bamboo (the cheapest tablet Wacom make), costing that much.
  • edited March 2009
    They probably aren't on the same level as the Cintiq but the Cintiq isn't really feasible due to it's need for power. However they should be better than my Bamboo (the cheapest tablet Wacom make), costing that much.
    Omnutia, Don't bother. I can tell you exactly how this will go. If you find a tablet PC with the same quality screen as a Cintiq, Scott will say It's too expensive. If you find a tablet PC for a decent price, Then he's going to say it's not as good as a Cintiq. If you manage to satisfy every condition he comes up with, congratulations, you win, and as a bonus you've discovered a laptop made of pure unobtainium.

If it's any consolation, though, his solution is unworkable in the form given, as far as I know. Both Cintiq models (21UX and 12WX) require external power from a socket. Maybe there are power sockets available to you on the NYC subway trains, I don't know.
    There are multiple products on that page.
    You said that there was no "Our Review" link on that site, and there is, just not on the exact page given. I don't care one iota if there's one link on that page, or a thousand, there is still "Our Review" links on the site. That's all I was saying.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Good point, lets just wait until Emily gets back.
  • Good point, lets just wait until Emily gets back.
    All your department, man. Everything I know about tablets relates to embroidery Digitizing, so I'm not much use in this discussion.
  • I use my Aunt's giant Intuous3 Pad, and no tablet PC I've ever seen has come close. I really don't think there are any viable options right now unless you want to spend way too much money.
  • I use my Aunt's giant Intuous3 Pad, and no tablet PC I've ever seen has come close. I really don't think there are any viable options right now unless you want to spend way too much money.
    That's the main problem with the idea, isn't it? You can't get an ideal solution without spending an absolute pile of money.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2009
    Actually, I'm with Scott on this one. You guys are making claims that you can't back up, and getting defensive when Scott calls you on it. He had a very specific request:
    Name a tablet or convertible that has a wacom-quality tablet functionality. I haven't found one.
    You keep saying they're out there, but fail to name them. The burden of proof is on you: don't try to wiggle around it with vague answers like "x manufacturer" or "y review site," because nothing you provided told me anything. I investigated on my own, and found no indication of any product's worthiness, even excluding price. Most of those tablet PCs, from all indications, would be useless for drawing, and provide no decent specs.

Scott won this one. I'm sure he'd rather that he hadn't, since a product like this would be great, but I see no indication of any such thing existing. The closest you seem to be able to come are mods, of which I am highly dubious regarding their long-term durability.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited March 2009
    Well, Rym, I'd say you're probably wrong. Could Scott not go through a few links on a site to find what he's looking for given that he knows his way around websites as well as most of us? Could you use what you know to right-off graphics tablets for what Emily needs them for?
    Your argument of "Well find me a specific model." was a very good one until I linked directly to one that seems suitable.

For art that isn't the kind of thing you see on Concept Art, the tx2500, by my estimation, is probably sensitive enough. Given that all solutions are less than ideal, I view buying this as probably the best option. What do you suggest?

• For art that isn't the kind of thing you see on Concept Art, the tx2500, by my estimation, is probably sensitive enough. Given that all solutions are less than ideal, I view buying this as probably the best option. What do you suggest?
    All we have on the tx2500 is confirmation that the company named wacom makes the technology in its touch screen. There is no confirmation that it has the sensitivity or pressure-sensitive features of actual tablets. Also, if you go to HP's web site, you will notice the tx2500 is not listed for sale. They only have one tablet for sale, and it does not have any wacom technology whatsoever.

You ask what we suggest. We are suggesting that there is no good solution. We want there to be, but everything sucks. We are asking if anyone knows of any satisfactory solution. Despite extensive research, we have not found one. You claim to have found one, and we are telling you that it is not satisfactory. The word "Wacom" in some specifications of a discontinued model on some shady review site is not enough. We need detailed specifications from a site we can trust on a product that you can reliably purchase.
  • Step 1) Click this link.
    Step 2) Read review.
    Step 3) Find more reviews using Google.
    Step 4) Click this link to find a seller.
    If you find the tablet unsatisfactory, try looking around the site at different models.

This now depends on whether or not Emily finds the sensitivity sufficient for drawing comics. I feel it will.

It was all there on the site.
  • I don't know what you are reading. Nowhere in that review does it confirm whether or not the tablet has the necessary drawing features, nor does it provide the detailed specifications of the touch/pen screen. There is no mention of pressure sensitivity whatsoever. Also, buying a laptop from a reseller is a bad idea IMHO. Discontinued models are impossible to get support for, and impossible to return. Laptops, especially from a crap manufacturer like HP, are often broken. Something with a tablet is going to be even more likely to break. Unless it's a cheap machine you don't care about, I suggest you always buy a laptop new directly from the manufacturer.

You say "It was all there on the site". Well, no it's not. We need explicit and detailed confirmation of a very specific feature set. If you can't offer that, then you haven't found what we are looking for.
  • None of the 3 sellers specify the amount of pressure levels, resolution, tilt capabilities, etc. Furthermore, the only mention to wacom is in the line "The Wacom technology used is great, just remember you can't keep picking the pen up or the touch feature will be activated again and your hand might be detected." the fact that the only claim of convenience is for "Taking notes" I doubt that it's as powerful as a cintiq for precise inking or painting, Its probably really good for doodles and sketches though, and with patience and practice, you can probably ink on that as well.
  • edited March 2009
    Fallacious statement:
    Nowhere in that review does it confirm whether or not the tablet has the necessary drawing features, nor does it provide the detailed specifications of the touch/pen screen.
    Hit Ctrl+F, Type in "Wacom" and hit the down arrow twice.

The rest is opinion. If you are that concerned with it breaking, the TigerDirect link offers a two year warranty at $300.
    Coincidently, I'm typing this from a four year old HP NX6325 which is still running strong. This is beside the point.

All of this could have been found out if you'd clicked a few links in the bar just below the picture of the computer in the title.