This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Another Linux Sound Problem

edited August 2008 in Technology
I've had this issue with recording sound on my ubuntu laptop for quite some time now. I figured it'd be best to ask you guys, since maybe one of you has had a similar problem.

First off, I've tried solving the problem at hand by using different mics and external sound cards - with no effect.

The Problem: Whenever I record sound, or talk over Skype, you always here a very loud clicking and spinning noise in the background. As if the hard drive were being picked up by my microphone, which is impossible because I have my sound card and mic about 3 meters away from my laptop.

Comments

• Linux dosen't have sound because the developers are to busy making effects and window wobblies, instead of making a good OS.
  • Linux dosen't have sound because the developers are to busy making effects and window wobblies, instead of making a good OS.
    Instead of making a good OS? Sorry Mr. Jobs-wannabe.
  • edited August 2008
    If only there were a better OS than Linux, without gapping security holes and terrible proprietary restrictions.
    Add to that even worse hardware support.

The moral: Don't bash someone else's preferences, we all need different things.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    Only gaping hole in your argument is that the developers that make the kernel do not develop Compiz. Heck, your argument goes for OS X. Is that not the OS that has fancy and useless effects thrown around in its base install?
  • The only reason I'm probably going to buy a mac as my next laptop is, that I really need a good sound recording quality which works.
  • edited August 2008
    Is that not the OS that has fancy and useless effects thrown around in its base install?
    Although that's true, at least the basics all work. ^^
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Max, this sounds like a hardware problem. Have you tried using another PC with this?
  • It worked fine under windows.
    edited August 2008
    It worked fine under windows.
    That is because the manufacturer of your hardware supplied proper Windows drivers, and no Unix drivers.
    Post edited by ... on
  • It worked fine under windows.
    That is because the manufacturer of your hardware supplied proper Windows drivers, and no Unix drivers.
    So it isn't a hardware problem..
  • I think I found your solution. Go get your boot and nuke disk. Wipe your drive clean. Install *twitch* Windows. Hooray, it works.
  • Windows is, for me at least, a horrible operating system. It may do the one thing I want it to do well (or at least it works), but all the other tasks I do with my computer would become very annoying.
  • I tried linux a few months before I got my Mac, It sucked.
  • Linux is really only as good as its user can make it, at least when you want to do more then the basics.
    Shame there isn't anything better.
    Because you can't use it properly. You tend to be impatient, so you probably didn't work it properly, or bother how to learn to work it properly.
    Shame there isn't anything better.
    I, the Apple fanboy of FRCF, does admit that Mac OS X is not perfect, but it is a breath of fresh air after suffocating for the last 10 years with Windows.
    I tried linux a few months before I got my Mac, It sucked.
    Because you can't use it properly. You tend to beimpatient, so you probably didn't work it properly, or bother how to learn to work it properly.
    My freind and I spent a little more than 3 months using Linux. My biggest complaint was it's lack of easy install and consent use of the terminal. You can't cut and paste commands (which Mac can do), into the terminal. The most frustating thing was that Linux developers are too busy making effects, than to make a good OS.

Lastly, I can't be the only Apple lover here. Common' guys, help me out here.
  • edited August 2008
    it's lack of easy install
    You obviously did not use Ubuntu.
    You can't cut and paste commands (which Mac can do), into the terminal.
    Edit: look at Sail's post.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • The level of ignorance in this thread is astonishing. If you don't know wtf you are talking about, don't talk. You're only making yourself look stupid.

If audio recording isn't working on your laptop, go to the forum for the distribution you are using, and search for audio recording on your laptop model. Also, use the lspci command to figure out what sound card you have and search Google with that. Also figure out if you are using alsa, pulse, arts, esd, jack, or oss. Different recording programs use different things, and can be configured to use different things.
  • edited August 2008
    Yes you can. Right click on the terminal and click paste. It would be stupid to do it on the keyboard because it allows you to use those keys for terminal commands instead.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited August 2008
    Ctrl + Shift + v to paste. If you're having trouble with a program, typing "man < program name>" is always handy.

Linux sound is really improving in my experience, Alsa was a real pain and I've given up on sound in windows, it just goes garbled after prolonged use (15 mins or more) under CPU strain and I have to restart whatever program I'm using.
  • edited September 2008
    There's no point in trying to convert me since I'm never touching Linux again! Have fun with you 0.5% or whatever market share you Linux people have.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • edited September 2008
    There's no point in trying to convert me since I'm never touching Linux again! Have fun with you 0.5% or whatever market share you Linux people have.
    Find me a linux user that annoying.. dimwit.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh, ignore the troll. Max, have you checked to make sure your computer isn't playing back the audio from the laptop's internal speaker?
  • edited September 2008
    The level of ignorance in this thread is astonishing. If you don't know wtf you are talking about, don't talk. You're only making yourself look stupid.

If audio recording isn't working on your laptop, go to the forum for the distribution you are using, and search for audio recording on your laptop model. Also, use the lspci command to figure out what sound card you have and search Google with that. Also figure out if you are using alsa, pulse, arts, esd, jack, or oss. Different recording programs use different things, and can be configured to use different things.
    I have done all of that and more. Still, it doesn't work. The reason I asked on this forum was, that there was a tiny possibility that some had the exact same problem I have.
    Oh, ignore the troll. Max, have you checked to make sure your computer isn't playing back the audio from the laptop's internal speaker?
    Yes. Maximilian BTW.

I've given up now. Thank you for or your help, but the hours I've spent configuring my sound have led me to nothing.
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on