This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Computer smells like burning rubber

edited August 2008 in Everything Else
Well my grandpa has the old Dell Dimension Desktop 2400, and he wanted an upgrade. So I got a new MoBo, 2 gig of RAM, and an Intel 2.53 ghz Core 2 Duo. So I took out all of the crap inside his case and put in the new parts. Everything seemed to fit right, so I went to turn it on. I didn't get a post, and then I started to smell burning rubber, so I turned it off. What should I do?

Comments

• Power suply perhaps? not up to par with the new Mobo, sounds like too much juice is going somewhere it shouldn't.
  • Well I've used this same 350 watt PSU with this same FoxConn motherboard before, and it worked fine. It's a 20 pin going into a 24 pin motherboard. There were never any problems.
  • edited August 2008
    What size was the power supply in the computer? With luck, that's all you'll have to replace.

Edit: Hmmm. Well, like roboto said, too much power going to the wrong place. Not sure about specifics.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • The old PSU was 200 watts. The new one is 350 watts. It's well over 100 watts of what I need.
  • FIRE!
    It might be heating issues, try a bigger fan and an independent fan for the proc.
  • Check the case for rodents.
  • edited August 2008
    Have you done anything that might effect the contact between the heat syncs and what they are attached to?

Somewhat ironically, I set my laptop's fan to always stay on when plugged into mains power to reduce wear on my CPU, as a result my fan is now wearing out and making loud whining noises.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Well it was only on for about 15 seconds, so I don't see how a fan not being put on right even if it was spinning would already mean burning rubber.
  • Is it this?
    It might eventually turn into that, but I stopped it before it did.
  • Hmm.. I wonder what are the most common components for bursting into fire..
    Power supplies, without a doubt.
    Power supply and video card are the big two, followed by blowing out capacitors on the motherboard or cooking the RAM.

And remember - if you let the magic smoke out, the parts won't work!

As for the original issue, burning smell = something cooked itself. Try a different PSU and see if you get any response. Strip it down to just the motherboard and see if it POSTs and gives you the standard error beeps, then start hooking other components back up, starting with the video card & RAM. Good luck.
  • I had my old PSU burn itself out a few month's ago.

Luckily nothing else was damaged, and I was able to replace the PSU.

I think the problem was that the old PSU was some cheap no brand thing, it came bundled with my cheap no brand case...