This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Chrome

Comments

• Has anyone tried going "Incognito"? It seems like it's what the Stealther Firefox plugin should be.
    You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close the incognito window. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.
    • Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:
    • Websites that collect or share information about you
    • Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
    • Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
    • Surveillance by secret agents
    • People standing behind you
  • edited September 2008
    about:internets is gold.
    Post edited by getHorns() on
  • about:internets is gold.
    YES!
  • edited September 2008
    I've seen a few rendering problems including the font below peoples main user name on DeviantART looking strange. Also shift+enter whilst in the address bar does not turn the entered text into a .net address (nor alt+shirt+enter for .org). I also cannot add words to the built in dictionary. Not being able to just middle click on the page and get the auto-scroller thing is annoying, I use that a lot of the time. The name "Chrome" sucks.

Browsing without AdBlock is harder than I thought.

Other than that, pretty awesome thus-far.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • edited September 2008
    If they can get ad-block intergrated, I might convert Google-ism. I'm already a Google fanboy, that would be the last step.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I love the sky blue top thing. Also the way they bold the "main site" in the URL is kinda neat. I also like how when you type in a text box it highlights the border orange.
  • If they can get ad-block intergrated, I might convert Google-ism. I'm already a Google fanboy, that would be the last step.
    Yeah, actually. If they can get adblock/flashblock in there, it could become the browser of choice for actually browsing. Though, I would still need Firefox for developing.

Since this and Firefox are both open source, I foresee a merger of the two of sorts. Expect the best features of each to be in both. The differences between the two will probably be rendering engine (gecko vs. webkit) and other small things like that.

At first I thought there was a big conflict of interest with Google making a browser to view the web they advertise on. It would be like if Clear Channel made radios. However, because it is open source, we are safe.
  • From what I know of Webkit and Gecko (admittedly little) I think webkit might win out if the two were to come toe to toe.
  • I've been using it all day and it still feels very fast and responsive. I've got my girlfriend using it to and she says it is noticeably faster than firefox.

It loads gmail beautifully.

I'm glad they're being very neutral, not biasing the browser towards Google even giving default options to change which search engine the address bar uses when you make a search. I would like to see them somehow streamline mailto links with a small gmail window (something akin to how SuperGenPass displays itself) for quick mailing and even some other integrated google stuff.

Oh shit, is their mind control finally working?
  • edited September 2008
    Alright, seriously, I don't get it with the speeds. For me, it's noticeably SLOWER than Firefox. Maybe it's because it's loading ads, but frontrowcrew.com doesn't have ads, yet it's slow to load that, too.
    I do like that the title bar just has the tabs on top. Saving space is key.
    They're so one person can switch between Firefoxes that are configured differently. You can have a work profile with your work bookmarks, and a home profile with home bookmarks.
    In that case, you'd STILL get fucked over by chrome, since it wouldn't ask which profile to take bookmarks from and could likely give you unwanted results.
    You should make separate user accounts in your OS for you, your father, and your sister, Then you wouldn't have this problem.
    Yeah, but when the person using the computer is me 95% of the time, 4% being my sister, and 1% being my dad, and all they use it for is the internet, I find it to be overkill to give them separate user accounts. It's damn near a waste of time logging in and logging out when they just want to be on for 30-60 mins, tops.

I have other profiles, too. I have a "school" Firefox with school related extensions and bookmarks, and I have a "downloading" profile with links to downloading sites, with privacy and downloading related extensions. Even if I didn't have my sister's profile on here, who knows which profile it would have taken the bookmarks from?

tl;dr: chrome is much, much too basic for even the slightest power users, if only for the fact that you can't import html or json files...
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • I'm not impressed enough to switch.
  • edited September 2008
    Oh shit, is their mind control finally working?
    Take Norvu to the reeducation center immediately.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Ya know, By itself that wouldn't have been that funny, but the choice of font gave it that little something extra.
  • edited September 2008
    Not impressed, I run a tight browser ship that has a Compacted Theme, ad blocking and grease monkey related malarkey. Chrome allows for none of these things and shoves all my non toolbar bookmarks into the right courner.

Also, I heard some nasty rumours about Googleupdate.exe, though that might be 4chan being 4chan.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • I'm pretty browser agnostic, I switch between the Webkit nightly builds and Firefox on my macbook pretty often, and I just use whatever is available when on a windows pc. I gave Chrome a try and I'd definitely use it once there is a OS X version, as Webkit is so much nicer than Gecko on OS X (mainly with scrolling - its like buttah).

As a result of my habits, I really don't use or care about extensions, which makes me more likely to switch than most Firefox users.
  • The javascript is pretty hot on this browser, I like. I think I'm switching to chrome, it's pretty fast, takes up less pixels, and uses little memory. Pretty much everything I want from a browser.
  • I've already, uncomfortably (I want AdBlock Plus), switched over to Chrome pretty much. I just get along with it really well and I've had it twice now where the browser has crashed and only the single tab was effected.

I also LOVE the feature on the new tab section that displays your recently closed tabs. I've had it a few times where I accidentally close a tab I did not want to close, this makes it very easy to go back.
  • edited September 2008
    I also LOVE the feature on the new tab section that displays your recently closed tabs. I've had it a few times where I accidentally close a tab I did not want to close, this makes it very easy to go back.
    Doesn't Firefox already do this in the History Menu? Well I guess not in the "new tab" section, at least.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I also LOVE the feature on the new tab section that displays your recently closed tabs. I've had it a few times where I accidentally close a tab I did not want to close, this makes it very easy to go back.
    Doesn't Firefox already do this in the History Menu?
    And Ctrl+F12, and right-click the tab-bar and select "Undo close tab". I did not know that about Chrome though.
  • edited September 2008
    I did not know that.

:)

I'm also missing a random folder of bookmarks from my bookmark toolbar. Odd.

Edit - Oh, Chrome doesn't let you bookmark RSS feeds like Chrome does. Disappointing.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Sorry for the double post.
    11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.
    11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above licence.
    *steps away from Chrome until the EULA is changed.*
  • *steps away from Chrome until the EULA is changed.*
    Great.
  • Edit- Oh, Chrome doesn't let you bookmark RSS feeds like ChromeFirefox does. Disappointing.
    Uh, FTFY?
    And Ctrl+F12, and right-click the tab-bar and select "Undo close tab".
    Or ctrl+shift+t.
  • Well, they're changing the EULA. Although their address bar keylogger is strange I can understand that the only reason it stores information of websites you don't even press the enter button for is because it does google searches for what you're typing on the fly.
  • Scott, as for Firebug. Chrome has a built-in web development tools. You can access them by right clicking on a page and selecting Inspect Element.
  • Scott, as for Firebug. Chrome has a built-in web development tools. You can access them by right clicking on a page and selecting Inspect Element.
    Yeah, it seems pretty slick. It duplicates a lot of Firebug's features, but it doesn't seem to do CSS at all, unless I'm missing something.
  • My few disjointed observations:
    • The Google Updater which autoruns and remains after you uninstall is pretty unnecessary. I'm an idiot for getting caught by that again, as Lively did the same thing to me. Maybe I should stop and think before blithely installing every piece of software I find on the internet.
    • After trying it for a couple of weeks I decided that I didn't like the AwesomeBar in Firefox so the same goes for the Chrome equivalent. The latter is more of an issue with me as I consider it to be a retrograde step after Mozilla moved repeated or "known" searches client-side, out of the purview of the search engines.
    • It obviously doesn't preclude others from producing something similar, but the AdblockPlus developer doesn't sound like he's planning on developing his extension for Chrome. Like a lot of commenters I've seen, I'm always slightly shocked at the gratuitous slew of ads visible without it. On a tangent, it's strange that in the blog coverage and general griping I've seen there's only been one comment about the lack of NoScript which is usually (on Slashdot at least) held to be the other "must-have" extension for browsing.
  • I've seen there's only been one comment about the lack of NoScript which is usually (on Slashdot at least) held to be the other "must-have" extension for browsing.
    I've never understood the need for NoScript. Most web pages now use lots and lots of JavaScript. Part of the reason Chrome is great is because it does JavaScript better. Who would want to turn it off? Firefox already has functionality to prevent JavaScript from doing stupid shit like pop-ups and status/title bar changes. What else do you need?
  • Hmmm... already I'm having issues with chrome. For one thing, it doesn't handle flash well. Despite Google's claims of tab independence, the browser seems to hang for a bit if a flash is too slow to load. In addition, the lack of a save feature in and of itself puts me back into the land of Firefox.
  • edited September 2008
    Chrome seems like a pretty basic browser. Its nothing so special that I would give up Firefox but at the moment it gets the job done. The only things that are annoying are like Sonic said the flash. I even tried to go on Youtube with this browser, and I wasn't able to move through out the video. -.- Google you have a long way to go. I would say make a Chrome app for the Iphone but that would be pretty useless considering you could just sign onto your Google account using the browser already on there. The only thing that I do notice is that it is faster than Firefox but not by much.
    Post edited by Ratchet on