This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Chrome

Comments

• I'm trying to build chrome on my Linux laptop at the moment. If all goes well, I'll write a script to install it.
  • I've never understood the need for NoScript.
    It's a lazy man's AdBlock.
  • edited September 2008
    Another thing we built into google chrome is gears.
    SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I've never understood the need for NoScript. Most web pages now use lots and lots of JavaScript. Part of the reason Chrome is great is because it does JavaScript better. Who would want to turn it off? Firefox already has functionality to prevent JavaScript from doing stupid shit like pop-ups and status/title bar changes. What else do you need?
    Something against cross site scripting for instance? Also, general security, faster load times, no running of resource intensive and badly coded JavaScript without permission, no annoyances whatsoever, and of course paranoia. I don't need or want a third party website to spy on my activities on the internet. As for sites that have use lots and lots of JavaScript, they suck. You don't need your website to consist for 90+% out of JavaScript, you also should not be using JavaScript to make links work, you also shouldn't make your site generally unusable due to the lack of JavaScript. In other words, if I cannot use the basics of a website when NoScript is blocking the scripts, I often just leave and forget about it.
  • edited September 2008
    Well, with the lack of enthusiasm from the AdBlock Plus guy and now the new firefox javascript engine will run faster than Chromes V8 the chances of me switching are very low.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • edited September 2008
    Something against cross site scripting for instance? Also, general security, faster load times, no running of resource intensive and badly coded JavaScript without permission, no annoyances whatsoever, and of course paranoia. I don't need or want a third party website to spy on my activities on the internet. As for sites that have use lots and lots of JavaScript, they suck. You don't need your website to consist for 90+% out of JavaScript, you also should not be using JavaScript to make links work, you also shouldn't make your site generally unusable due to the lack of JavaScript. In other words, if I cannot use the basics of a website when NoScript is blocking the scripts, I often just leave and forget about it.
    Solution, don't visit shitty web sites. Find me one useful site that is worth visiting that does stupid shit like this. Yes, there are shitty sites out there. But why do you need to protect yourself from them if you aren't visiting them in the first place? If you are visiting them, why?

Also, cross site scripting usually is something that the webmaster has to protect against. It hurts them more than it hurts you.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Solution, don't visit shitty web sites. Find me one useful site that is worth visiting that does stupid shit like this. Yes, there are shitty sites out there. But why do you need to protect yourself from them if you aren't visiting them in the first place? If you are visiting them, why?
    I like to just browse around the internet looking for cool stuff. I cannot see before going to a site if it's shitty or not.
    Also, cross site scripting usually is something that the webmaster has to protect against. It hurts them more than it hurts you.
    Why not make sure it doesn't hurt you at all?
  • I agree with Scott on this one. I heard a lot of good about No Script about a year ago, tried it, didn't see a point (and found it annoying that I had to whitelist stuff that used JavaScript properly), and uninstalled it.
  • It uses Web Kit, technology developed by Apple, just saying.
    edited September 2008
    It uses Web Kit, technology developed by Apple, just saying.
    And Trolltech, and Adobe, and Nokia, and Google. Also should be mentioned, the KDE development team, seeing as Apple derived Webkit from Konquerer libraries, which is Open Source Software. One, give credit where credit is due if you want to brag, two, hmmmm, Apple using Open Source Software libraries as base for their derived technology.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Also, if you're gonna brag about it being being developed by Apple, consider the presence of the OS X version of Chrome. Oh, wait!
  • I finally switched over permanently to Chrome after a string of Firefox crashes and now that Chrome as an adblock extension.
  • I finally switched over permanently to Chrome after a string of Firefox crashes and now that Chrome as an adblock extension.
    I thought I was the only one? Needless to say, I am quite happy with it.
  • Yeah, I'm mostly using Chrome at the moment.
  • edited February 2010
    Yeah, I'm mostly using Chrome at the moment.
    I'm mostly just chroming. And then I realised that american's won't get the joke - It's an australian term for huffing paint.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I just started using Chrome, but I can't get the Dev Channel to start working as so that I can get Adblock working.
  • Chrome here too for around a month.
  • I just started using Chrome, but I can't get the Dev Channel to start working as so that I can get Adblock working.
    Here is exactly what I did.
    I installed this and then I installed this. Those are the EXACT links I used.
  • edited February 2010
    This ad blocker is currently better than adblock. I switched to it after getting fed up with adblock. Also, there is some issue with ads flashing briefly then disappearing. Apart from the visual nuisance this may be an issue for people who dislike tracking pixels, since Chrome doesn't allow for extensions to prevent loading content.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I installedthisand then I installedthis. Those are the EXACT links I used.
    It's still not working for me, the Install button for Adblock is grayed out and I can't click on it.
  • I finally got extensions working. I love not having ads show up anymore.
  • edited June 2010
    Decided to try switching properly and now have all my stuff set up properly:

Running Chrome Stable w/ Flash 10.1
    -Adblock
    -Autopagerize for Chrome (Adds infinite scrolling to pages.)
    -Chrowerty (Twitter)
    -Iconized Bookmarks Popup
    -Rikaikun (Japanese translation.)
    -Skipscreen for Chrome
    -SuperChromePass (Supergenpass extension as the original doesn't work.)
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • (Supergenpass extension as the original doesn't work.)
    What? Why does the original bookmarklet not work?
  • What? Why does the original bookmarklet not work?
    In Chrome it doesn't work on some sites.
  • -Adblock
    Is Chrome adblock at Firefox levels yet? Does it prevent the ads from even loading, or does it still load-then-hide?
  • edited June 2010
    Not there yet. I was surprised they hadn't put their own release up somewhere else to get around Chrome's rules, as things like Skipscreen do.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Is there a way to have Google Chrome open up links to the apps you created? For example you click on a YouTube link and instead of having that link open up a tab. The link instead opens up the YouTube app you made?
  • So, uh... Chrome has actual, real, Firefox-level do-not-download-ads adblocking now.
  • So, uh... Chrome has actual, real, Firefox-level do-not-download-ads adblocking now.
    There is only one feature left that Chrome needs to get me to leave Firefox. That feature is bookmark keywords.
  • That feature is bookmark keywords
    Do you mean how you can make custom searches from your location bar? Because Chrome does have that.