This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080902 - PAX '08: Part 1

2»

Comments

• I also say fuck chili's because they aren't here. :(
    Are you serious? There are a shit ton in Northern Virginia.
    I barely go to NoVA nowadays, but I probably will be making a trip now. ^_^
  • Taco Del Mar is WIN. Way better than the food at the mall at westlake. Not that it's not great, but...

So, Couple notes:

Wifi Strength: Cisco may have sponsored it, but it was all set up by our crew of 3(!) enforcers setting up nodes, on a shoestring budget with crazy union costs for running network drops. We're going to work on it next year, and there's definite room for improvement. Maradine is working on it for next year.

Sumo's clocked in at just over 250. We've very proud of our sumo collection, and teardown sumopile = Epic fort.

As for paranoia: ^5 on noticing, and ^5 for pulling it off. I wish I had been there. Also, Enforcers have black. I guess that means we're infrared peons...

Lounge B was the best Lounge. There is no contest.
  • edited September 2008
    Aww man, PAX sounds like the business. If all goes well, I might be able to make it to the east coast PAX.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Taco Del Mar is WIN. Way better than the food at the mall at westlake. Not that it's not great, but..
    I disagree. As much as I love Alaskan Fish Tacos, they will never beat the Indian Curry or Greek Food at Westlake. :P Also noteworthy, Boba Machine, damn awesome bubble tea.
  • Fish tacos are fucking delicious. The local taco joint makes really good ones.
  • After listening to the podcast all I could think was "I wish we had something this good in Britain."
    Sounded like you guys had a brilliant time, almost like kids in a candy store. Maybe one day I will be earning enough money to get over to America and check out one of these cons you keep talking about as well as the rest of your country.
  • After listening to the podcast all I could think was "I wish we had something this good in Britain."
    Sounded like you guys had a brilliant time, almost like kids in a candy store. Maybe one day I will be earning enough money to get over to America and check out one of these cons you keep talking about as well as the rest of your country.
    You can make it to PAX 2009 (Seattle), as well as Boston (Spring 2010) & Seattle (Fall 2010). ^_~ Start saving!
    You can make it to PAX 2009 (Seattle), as well as Boston (Spring 2010) & Seattle (Fall 2010). ^_~ Start saving!
    Unfortunately having to pay for my Masters gets in the way of saving up to go in the next 2 years. Also I have just spent 2 months interrailing around Europe so I'm all big trip out for the moment.
    In the mean time I can try and get to some of the cons we have over here, one near me just got all excited because they sold 80 tickets ;)
  • Unfortunately having to pay for my Masters gets in the way of saving up to go in the next 2 years. Also I have just spent 2 months interrailing around Europe so I'm all big trip out for the moment.
    In the mean time I can try and get to some of the cons we have over here, one near me just got all excited because they sold 80 tickets ;)
    *nods* Very understandable. I'm just looking forward to next year's PAX and hopefully hanging out with more forumites. ^_^
  • edited September 2008
    There is a huge games convention in Essen each year. It sort of fits my schedule this year so I may go. Flights from the UK out to Germany are very cheap.
    SPIEL '08
    will take place from
    October 23 to 26, 2008
    at Messe Essen
    On another note, is this the "jenga type game" you were talking about?
    photo
    It is a quite popular game here in Germany, though I've only played it a couple of times myself.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • edited September 2008
    Oh, as for the board gaming at PAX, I had a blast. I'm happy I spent more time there than last year. I agree with having to decide upon whether to attempt to learn a new game versus playing games you already know with new people. I did a bit of both.

First off, I played Tigris & Euphrates with of course you guys and Eryn. It was pretty fun. I definitely will have to pick that up and give it another shot. Later on that evening I played Run for your life, Candyman!. It's pretty much a twisted version of Candyland where your gingerbread man can actually take damage and you get to battle with your opponents. There is no real skill involved. It's really easy to learn and play. I met some pretty cool people playing it. I also played Greed Quest, a pretty fun Steve Jackson game. It's pretty simple, get the end and back by playing cards with certain movement qualities in various rooms with different rules. There are some characters in there that my friends have basically referred to as Lina and Naga from Slayers. Well, they just resemble them.

I also played Pirate's Cove. I need to own this. You battle with Pirates, opponents, and the Royal Navy as you try to earn fame by collecting treasure and taking it the "Treasure Island". I wish I had more time to play other games, but PAX is only so long.

As for Agricola, my friend Chris (the short filipino dude that does parkour, if you recall) played it for the first time. He says it took FOREVER to learn how to play the game, however he we wants to give it another shot. He also wants to give it another shot because he told me that a certain card came out early in the game that really changes the pace of the game for everyone. It's also pretty "chit-tastic", as in there are a lot of pieces you have to play with.

Also, if you remember that European couple that came up to us during our session of Carcassonne that mentioned that new game out in Europe that's doing well, Chris told me to tell you guys it's called Conflict of Heroes, just in case you guys forgot. ^_^
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • For Eryn, there are no Cheesecake Factories in Canada.
    What Ro said. I had never heard of Cheesecake Factory before going to Seattle, and I didn't think to look it up online before I went, so I wasn't sure if it was a franchise or not. Regardless, that Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake was a little slice of heaven. <3

Speaking of chocolate: out of curiosity, which did you guys like best? ;D Sorry if that's prodding; I just take a lot of pride in the stuff we make.
  • I barely go to NoVA nowadays, but I probably will be making a trip now. ^_^
    There is one less than a mile away from the Franconia-Springfield Metro stop.
  • I barely go to NoVA nowadays, but I probably will be making a trip now. ^_^
    There is one less than a mile away from the Franconia-Springfield Metro stop.
    Cools! I'll go eat and then go to the arcade. I heard that mall went down hill though.
  • Something of an aside here... I paused this podcast during the talking about the PAX gift bags, and went surfing through some fast food websites, and a quick trip to the toilet. When I finally decided to unpause the podcast, what words did I first hear?

"OVERFLOWING WITH SHIT."

God, did that line give me a good laugh... Not as much as Zap Rowsdower, but then what can?
  • edited September 2008
    Someday in my life I need to go to PAX.
    Anyways, one of the guys in Freezepop is a Harmonix Developer, which is why they are in pretty much every Harmonix game.
    And Scott, "Spiel des Jahres" is pronounced like linked.
    Oh, and Joco performing, Mr. Fancy Pants. Not at PAX thought
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • And Scott, "SpieldesJahres" is pronounced like linked.
    Yeah.. ^^
  • I was just listening to one of the old-ass episodes, and came across the following quote that seems to contradict you guys' story about never committing to PAX on air before this year:
    Rym: We're goin' to PAX next year, dammit.
    Scott: No one's gonna stop me, that's for sure.
    Not a huge deal, but I found it amusing to hear in light of the PAX episodes. ;)