This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• Apreche did not post that quote, I did.
    Oh sorry, my bad.
  • Mel Brooks: the man, the movies, the legend.
    Fuck yeah!
  • There needs to be a Geeknights serious business and Geeknights fun times.
  • For a change of pace and guaranteed humor, there should be episodes where you talk about a game or anime you HATE.
  • For a change of pace and guaranteed humor, there should be episodes where you talk about a game or anime you HATE.
    Naruto, and I believe next week they will be talking about the new Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates.
  • I would like to hear you guys talk about the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
  • I would like to hear you guys talk about the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    Word. And the week after The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. And the week after that Life, the Universe, and Everything. And after that So Long and Thanks for all the Fish. Then Mostly Harmless, and finishing off with the movie.
  • edited March 2008
    How about people you consider heroes?

In an older episode you mentioned Scott slept with an international terrorist. Even if that is not the true story you should tell that as a geek fable.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • The View Askewniverse. I think you are kinda overdue on discussing that
  • edited March 2008
    An April fools day episode?

:0
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • GeoGeo
    edited March 2008
    An April fools day episode?

:0
    Then again, if they do do an April fools day episode, it would probably be cut short somewhere in the third quarter of the show and end abruptly. Either that or Rym would have fuggin' field day crackin jokes left and right.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You know what....

Fuck what Scott thinks! Firefly the episode!

Sorry. :)
  • edited March 2008
    The idea has most likely come up before, but nonetheless... Pirates.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Explain cogito ergo sum.
    Why education is important.
    Why science is important.
  • Talk about game addicts.
  • In the spirit of "How to not suck at Settlers of Catan", which had taught me how to loose friends and infuriate people, more words of wisdom please on

"How to not suck at Advance Wars"

Thank you.
  • "How to not suck at Advance Wars"
    Hmm...

For every version except the new one, it's simple:

Get cities quickly using the APC trick.

Use artillery liberally.

Keep track of your money 100%, and spend EXACTLY what you mean to, planning at least five or six rounds worth of purchasing ahead. (e.g., I want a rocket four turns from now, so I'll only buy two infantry instead of three NEXT round in order to still be able to pick up that AA in round three; when I buy that rocket, I'll have exactly zero dollars left).

Whenever you have spare money, build infantry and mechs. ALWAYS. Even late-game. Send mechs and infantry along in constant streams with your other units, moving all of them every round even if it seems pointless and victory is assured. Infantry should be coming out in a semi-steady stream from your bases throughout the entire game.

If you go on the offensive, have a clear goal. Capture a city, gain a chokepoint, kill a missile. If you don't have a specific, clear goal, your troop movements are wasted.

You should know exactly where every unit is going for the next two or three rounds. EXACTLY. You should know EXACTLY how far that tank could get in the best-case scenario four or five turns ahead, including enemy troop movements. No movement should be fuzzy or non-planned. Every single square must be accounted for. Are your infantry moving up two or up three? Why? Where will they go next round? The round after? What will the enemy do?

You should anticipate how your enemy will react to your movements. You should know the best possible response your enemy could make to anything and everything you do, and assume that they will do it. Along these lines, know exactly how much money your enemy has, and anticipate what he will build.

Capturing and holding cities is the most important goal you can have. A one-city differential will win you the game if you hold it long enough.

Play to your CO's strengths, almost exclusively.

Do not attack if you cannot achieve your goal: you will only serve to increase the enemy CO's power meter.

Do not attack if you do not have solid supply lines of fresh troops OR assured victory assuming the best possible response from the enemy.

If you can do all of those things, you cannot lose to most people.
  • Hey, now that's what I call speedy service!

Thank you very much!
  • Stand up comedians: who your favourites are, why you like them, and any particular CD or special that you like by said comedians.
  • Inubaka! I already posted something about it in one of the other discussions.
  • edited April 2008
    Due to the news of Sam & Max hitting the Wii, I'm requesting a tuesday episode on Point-and-click Adventure games.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Preview first ep of the OVA, Kite Liberator. Wednesday.

Four more words: Awesome.
  • The Indiana Jones movies.
  • Internet Phenomena.
  • Did anyone say Gurren Lagann yet? I'm saying it now then. Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann!
  • Linux, and how it all fits together. The kernel, kernel modules, applications, stacks, how the directory structure works and why it's structured that way.
  • Yeah, I'm all for the "old internet stuff" episode that you guys were talking about in the most recent episode. It sounds pretty cool.
  • On last night's show, you touched briefly on WHAT C'thulu is.

There is a definite link between the dark fantasy/apocalyptic geekdom and the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. What about a review on who H.P. lovecraft was, what his writings did for the horror literary genre, and how that lovable Old One C'thulu has stayed vivid and fresh for writers/dark fantasy fans of today.

Or a show about Rail Traver vs. Batman.
  • What about a review on who H.P. lovecraft was, what his writings did for the horror literary genre, and how that lovable Old One C'thulu has stayed vivid and fresh for writers/dark fantasy fans of today.
    *cough*