This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• Dwarf Fortress- 3D Mod
  • Have you guys watched Nichijou yet?
  • There's discussion in my circles about GM rewards at conventions. There are those that think that less reward leads to the better con and those that think that more reward does.

My personal opinion is that the Burning Con model is spot on. But it's a totally alien to cons over here.

The last heavy reward con I went to had the lowest standard of game and I was denied the opportunity to run anything because the organisers thought that running for fewer than 5 players made the reward I'd get financially inefficient.

I'm sure Rym and Scott have an opinion on this. Seems like a mechanism design situation.
  • There's discussion in my circles about GM rewards at conventions. There are those that think that less reward leads to the better con and those that think that more reward does.

My personal opinion is that the Burning Con model is spot on. But it's a totally alien to cons over here.

The last heavy reward con I went to had the lowest standard of game and I was denied the opportunity to run anything because the organisers thought that running for fewer than 5 players made the reward I'd get financially inefficient.

I'm sure Rym and Scott have an opinion on this. Seems like a mechanism design situation.

There's a very simple solution to this problem. Do not go to such awful conventions, and don't worry about what happens at them. I use this strategy to deal with GenCon.
  • Cons that charge per-event for more than a fraction of their programming ON TOP OF a badge, cons that require pre-reg for all individual events, and cons that have complicated "maybe you get comped" structers can EABOD.
  • Rym said:

Cons that charge per-event for more than a fraction of their programming ON TOP OF a badge, cons that require pre-reg for all individual events, and cons that have complicated "maybe you get comped" structers can EABOD.

My heuristic for determining if I do panels at a convention is pretty simple.

1) Do I get in for free, at the very least? (post-con comp counts)

If not, screw you. There's a con around here that counts panel time as straight volunteer time. 8 hours and you get a box of pocky, IIRC. We went there until we could get panels at better cons, then never looked back.
  • ConnectiCon used to be that way. We fought hard to fix it. It's still not fully fixed, but it's way better than it used to be.
  • Rym said:

ConnectiCon used to be that way. We fought hard to fix it. It's still not fully fixed, but it's way better than it used to be.

I understand some of the reasons behind it, especially for poorer, newer cons, but it does lead to a rather obnoxious attitude sometimes.
  • Neito said:

I understand some of the reasons behind it, especially for poorer, newer cons, but it does lead to a rather obnoxious attitude sometimes.

Nah, fuck that noise. Being a poor, new con is no excuse. If a handful of badges for performers make or break the budget, that con didn't deserve to exist in the first place.
  • A Thursday show on graveyards.
  • Hard games.
  • Wyatt said:

Hard games.

Hardest games of all time.

1) Who can pick up the heaviest thing?

2) Race to the moon.

3) Who can sit in a fire for the longest time?
  • 4. Argue with the Creationist and not Punch Them.
  • Rym said:

4. Argue with the Creationist and not Punch Them.

5) Actually change the irrational person's mind.

• 6) Obtain a self-moving soul.
  • 7) Ascend to a state of pure energy before your friends.
  • 6) Obtain a self-moving soul.

Then control it and bind it to your bidding.

• Clue, the board game.

Alternately Clue the movie.
  • Heh. I am trying to put that movie into my combo for movie night. Possibly pairing with Battleship because they are board game movies. I want to try to pair it with something else other than Battleship. I thought about Jumanji, but eh.
  • Rochelle said:

Heh. I am trying to put that movie into my combo for movie night. Possibly pairing with Battleship because they are board game movies. I want to try to pair it with something else other than Battleship. I thought about Jumanji, but eh.

Chess? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108065/
  • Zathura? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zathura_(film)

"...loosely based on the illustrated book Zathura by Chris Van Allsburg, author of Jumanji."
  • Perhaps. Those could work. The general rules for our Friendly Film Festival are:

1. 2 movies
    2. 1 movie has to be a movie at least one member or most members have not seen.
    3. Both movies have to have a similar theme or some sort of similarity.

I know at least 4 out of the 7 people in our group has seen Battleship, so I am trying to figure out what else is there. We already had Real Steel (Rock Em, Sock Em Robots) as one of the movies from a previous time. I'll probably stick with Battleship.

I was also trying to go along a similar theme of lots of actors with witty fast paced dialog like in Noises Off. *shrug*
  • Our high school movie night was destroyed when someone brought Gone With the Wind.
  • A Thursday show on naps.
  • jmerm said:

A Thursday show on naps.

I misread that and got another good Thursday show idea. Maps.
  • A Monday show on kitchen technology - fridges, microwaves and other kitchen appliances.
  • Do a Thursday on child rearing.
  • Stationary
    The Singularity
    Batteries
    Custom domain names (for personal email, websites)
    Electoral College
    Passwords