This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Punk Rock

Comments

• I feel like punk is living on through all these punk hybrid genres
    If you want to go broader than that, punk is living on through almost all rock music since. Punk changed everything. Metal wouldn't be what it is without punk. Neither would "alternative" rock.
  • I feel like punk is living on through all these punk hybrid genres
    If you want to go broader than that, punk is living on through almost all rock music since. Punk changed everything. Metal wouldn't be what it is without punk. Neither would "alternative" rock.
    Punk rawk, fuck yeah.
  • It's remnants are Hot Topic...
    Hot Topic is NOT punk rock!
    Obviously.
    Hot Topic
    Fun fact: I worked for two years at the Hot Topic corporate office. My desk was like 15 feet away from the owner of the company's. I actually designed a couple of t-shirts and folders for them. It was a pretty good place to work, for a while.
    Did everyone dress in everything they sold like at the stores?

I was always a thrift story DIY girl before that. I did receive a few gifts from friends and BFs going there.
    I feel like punk is living on through all these punk hybrid genres
    Its true. Kinda makes you think what would it rock be now.
  • edited August 2009
    Did everyone dress in everything they sold like at the stores?
    A lot of them did. Whatever you have to say about the store's "image" and the stuff they sell, it was really a pretty decent business. A lot of the important people at the office (at least the ones who didn't need special training, like accountants) were promoted up from working in the stores. So yeah, lots of tattoos, purple hair, and fishnets walking around the office. Even the design of the whole office looked like one of the stores. I know a lot of people's image is that it's this big corporation cynically packaging and selling youth culture (I always heard the rumor that Hot Topic was owned by The Gap, which is just absolutely not true), but I know firsthand that these people were really into the stuff they were selling. Actually, the funniest thing was this guy who worked at the next desk over from me. He was an architect, who did the plans for all the new stores. Like this 50-year old guy with a mustache, loafers, and a sensible haircut, and he'd come in with a Marilyn Manson or Nine Inch Nails t-shirt tucked into his Dockers. And he was dead serious! He loved that stuff! I think he got into it just from working there.
    Its true. Kinda makes you think what would it rock be now.
    Hard to imagine. Though I guess you could say that about a lot of artists and genres that have pushed rock forward.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Folk punk band that caught me by surprise.

• I am shocked you didn't know about Defiance, Ohio. They do kick all kinds of ass though.
  • It's not that I didn't know about them, it's that I never went out of my way to try and listen to any of their music. Before now, of course.
  • Is anyone else by chance into The Loved Ones?
  • There must have been an overturned tractor trailer on the intertube superhigh way.
  • And you know you were a fucking noob once. So thanks for your help. I hope you feel superior to me right now.
  • I have a feeling we have glimpsed a part of a conversation that has accidentally fallen out of whisper.
  • edited August 2010
    And you know you were a fucking noob once. So thanks for your help. I hope you feel superior to me right now.
    Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect immortal machine? Zoidberg?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Then my bad. I am truley sorry.

So here is what I was trying to post.
    Nazi Punks fuck off

My all time favoirte punk band. With one of their best songs. Also included in their best songs are
    I Kill Children
  • No problem, just giving you a hard time. Also, I see you forgot Jock-o-Rama.
  • I like Circle Jerks. I like Black Flag. I like Red Kross. I like the art of Raymond Pettibon. So, how does Keith Morris' new band OFF! incorporate all these things and still feel so inauthentic to me? I want to like this band so bad, but it just feels so tired. Like, these guys are just doing the same thing they've always done, and that's kind of frustrating. I don't know, what do you guys think?

• I couldn't get through the first song. It sounded vaguely like a Dead Kennedy's rehash without any of Jello's wit or crazy politics.

I dunno. I have trouble listening to punk nowadays. There is less and less innovation.
  • edited December 2010
    Thing is, this is a band made up of guys who were at least partially responsible for inventing those punk "conventions" in the first place. Which makes me feel bad about criticizing them for sounding so unremarkable. I just wish they had been able to step outside of their comfort zone, even a little.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The thing about punk bands is that most of these guys are not exactly what you'd call "musicians".
  • edited December 2010
    The thing about punk bands is that most of these guys are not exactly what you'd call "musicians".
    Well, you're right and you're wrong. Part of the charm of, say, Minor Threat is how unpolished the whole thing is. The lack of knowledge of convention or correctness in the kids making it was where the uniqueness came from, which was a strength. However, after 25 years, these guys somewhere along the line inevitably learned how to play their instruments. Ian Mackaye used this knowledge to form Fugazi and continue to make good music with more robust songwriting. Keith Morris and his crew seem to instead be using what they've learned to polish and streamline the sound they created years ago which, unfortunately, also removes a lot of its appeal.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Joyce Manor is a great band from my area and they recently came out with their new album, which got a well-deserved excellent review on Punknews. Really glad that their career is starting to take off.

Probably the most note-worthy aspect of this band are their ultra-compact, focused song structures. The tracks almost universally clock in at under two minutes, and many tote a fairly novel "verse-chorus-DONE" structure. There's definitely an emphasis on quality in brevity.

• Wingnut Dishwashers Union/Johnny hobo and the Freight trans/Pat the bunny make some good anarchist folk punk.

And we can't mention folk punk without Andrew Jackson Jihad

• I'm a fan of the 1970s NYC punk scene: Ramones, Television, Johnny Thunders, The Stooges.

I've been introduced to a lot of more contemporary favorites through the US Japan Nite tour that Benten records organizes (formerly Japan Girls Nite, I have mixed feelings about the change). The Emeralds, Bleach, TsuShiMaMiRe, Titan Go Kings. Also Petty Booka who are arguably punk in philosophy though not in musical style.
  • Oh! And how could I have forgotten to mention Peelander-Z, my favorite Japanese Comic Action Punk band? And the Polysics?
  • I'm convinced that music died with Kurt Cobain. In terms of Punk, I listen to Iggy Pop, the Ramones, The Clash, and the Sex Pistols. Admittedly, I am a big Green Day fan, but two bands isn't enough to keep music alive. I suppose there's some Bowie you could call Punk, but most of his music is one of two things: 1. Trippy dream logic songs 2. Classic dream logic rock.
  • I'm convinced that music died with Kurt Cobain.
    Oh please, spare us all.

• Stay classy Ben Weasel.
  • I'm convinced that music died with Kurt Cobain. In terms of Punk, I listen to Iggy Pop, the Ramones, The Clash, and the Sex Pistols. Admittedly, I am a big Green Day fan, but two bands isn't enough to keep music alive. I suppose there's some Bowie you could call Punk, but most of his music is one of two things: 1. Trippy dream logic songs 2. Classic dream logic rock.
    Only two things died with Kurt Cobain, which were 1)Nirvana and 2)Kurt Cobain.
  • edited March 2011
    And we can't mention folk punk without Andrew Jackson Jihad
    Or Violent Femmes.
    I'm convinced that music died with Kurt Cobain.
    You're a numbskull. ^__^
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I'm convinced that music died with Kurt Cobain.
    0/10. Too unrealistic to be considered real trolling.