This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Punk Rock

Comments

• Posted By: Shadoworc01I'm convinced that music died with John Lennon.
  • I'm convinced that music died with Orpheus.
  • Man, all music is just a series of footnotes to Thag of the Hill People banging on that log.
  • I'm convinced that music died with Buddy Holly.
  • I'm convinced that music died with Rachmaninoff.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm convinced that Weezer died after "Buddy Holly".
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2011
    I'm convinced that Buddy Holly died after wheezing.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm convinced that music died with Beethoven.
  • edited May 2011
    These songs from the new Fucked Up album are so good it makes me want to cry. About to listen to the full thing right now, stoked.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I haven't read this thread in a while, so this is a few months late, but...
    I'm convinced that music died with Kurt Cobain.
    Oh please, spare us all.
    Oh man, I can't even imagine a more perfect response. It says everything in so few words.
  • I like Bikini Kill. They're pretty fun.
  • There's gonna be a Descendents documentary! The trailer makes me giddy. What a wonderful band.

• Thanks for reminding me of the Descendents. They're one of the classic punk bands that I never liked when I was younger, but upon recent reexamination, have found that I approve. I'm gonna listen to your videos right now.
  • Definitely grab Milo Goes To College if you don't have it.
  • Can do.

I still hate The Exploited, though.
  • edited November 2014
    Hoss is 19 years old. Fuck I'm old.

Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • So I've been listening to Punk Rock since I was 13 years old. However, I thought I was kind of in a rut and the thought that I was listening to the same bands for years now was kind of terrifying. So to actually explore the genre a bit more I bought a bunch of albums of bands I haven't had albums of be fore. A couple of those are really popular but I just never got into them before. Not all of them are good so don't take it as an endorsement.

Anyway, here's the list. The * next to some of the bands means that I listened to them before mostly on individual songs, but never a full album.

Cobra Skulls - Agitations
    Banner Pilot - Souvenir
    Leftöver Crack/Citizen Fish - Deadline
    Teenage Bottlerocket - Freak Out!
    Swinging Utters* - Five Lessons Learned
    The Hextalls - Get Smashed
    Face to Face* - Three Chords and a Half Truth
    A Wilhelm Scream - Party Crasher, Career Suicide
    Strike Anywhere - Dead FM
    The Flatliners* - Dead Language
    The Lawrance Arms - Metropole
    Betontod - Antirockstars
    The Story So Far - Under Soil and Dirt
    Pulley* - Matters
    Black Flag* - Damaged, Nervous Breakdown
    Youth Brigade - Sink with Kalifornija
  • Do you like and/or have heard of Frenzal Rhomb?
  • Churba said:

Do you like and/or have heard of Frenzal Rhomb?

I've heard a couple of songs by them on compilations and stuff you've posted around the forums, but never listened to a full album of them. They're on the list of bands I'll have to check out some time.
  • Posted By: Shadoworc01I'm convinced that music died with John Lennon.

Holy shit, I had that opinion for about five minutes in 2011 before getting into The Killers, and then (in a slightly modified way, believing the last truly great album to be Nebraska in 1982) five minutes in the beginning of 2012, right before Bruce Springsteen declared that we are now in a "golden age of music," but I immortalized the sentiment here. If I ever write an autobiography or memoirs, I'm clearly gonna have to read all my old posts to remember what I was like when I was 14+.

At any rate, how do you guys define "punk rock"? I've heard people refer to everything from Laura Stevenson to Gaslight Anthem to Johnny Hobo to Joyce Manor. It reminds me of what Lester Bangs said in the 70s about "rock" being stretched to the point of meaninglessness.
  • Really need to listen to all of "Milo goes to College." This was the last punk band I really got into.

• edited February 2015
    Hey Churba, which Frenzal Rhomb album would you recommend?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited February 2015
    Meet the Family for their early stuff, that's right after they solidified their current lineup, then Forever Malcolm Young and Smoko at the Pet Food Factory, I suppose. It's all pretty good, but those are some solid picks. The latter two are the latest two, and are Frenzal at their most polished, well, as much you can call them polished.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • What's the consensus on the first folk punk album? I know a lot of people cite the Violent Femmes or Meat Puppets II but they both sound more pop than folk or punk to my ears. I want to nominate The Acoustic EP by Against Me! but by then Plan-It-X had been putting out records for five years so I'm uncertain about it.
  • I dunno. I think Oysterband or the Levelers were pretty early, but I recon Oysterband is more Irish punk than Folk punk.
  • Yeah I consider Celtic punk as a different but relevant genre. Its like the difference between Chicago blues and rock n roll -- the latter draws so much from the former that you have to mention it.
  • Yeah pretty much I mean its kind of Folk Punk once removed since Celtic music is generally a subgenre of folk music.

On a related not, now I kinda wanna get back into folk metal.
  • On the subject of folk metal

and

• Greg said:

What's the consensus on the first folk punk album? I know a lot of people cite the Violent Femmes or Meat Puppets II but they both sound more pop than folk or punk to my ears. I want to nominate The Acoustic EP by Against Me! but by then Plan-It-X had been putting out records for five years so I'm uncertain about it.

There were bands incorporating folk elements into punk rock much earlier than that. I mean, I see your point about Meat Puppets not quite fitting the definition—their first EP and LP were basically full-on drugged out thrash, and their later stuff drew way more on country and post-punk and West Coast psychedelia than folk per se—but skipping ahead a whole decade seems to be looking in the wrong direction. I would look into The Raincoats, personally, or Subway Sect. Not exactly the origin of the hardcore-inflected sound of today, but early ramshackle punk with an English folk influence, for sure.

Speaking of ramshackle, I really want to get more into that "chaotic hardcore" sound that emerged out of what Void were doing, but I'm not entirely sure where to start and what best represents the different flavours of that style.
  • Thank you. I will look up those acts.