This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Recommend a band.

edited September 2008 in Art!
Put up one band and song per post and listen to the song in the post above yours. The song you post doesn't have to be a recommendation for the poster above you, but rather a band you really like that you think more people should listen to.

W6KPDWNAPBU

Fireworks - Animal Collective

Comments

• "Schizophrenic Prayer" - Riverside

• "Triumph For My Magic Steel" by Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire (They changed their name from Rhapsody to Rhapsody of Fire at some point. That's pretty annoying for tagging in iTunes and such.)

• Kamelot, because they are awesome.

• Meatloaf: Everything Louder than Everything Else. That man can sing.

• "36 Degrees" by Placebo

• "Vampira" - The Devin Townsend Band

Devin Townsend is insane (literally - bipolar disorder) but the man is a musical genius. Not enough people know about him, so I like to tell as many people as I can.

• Mano Negra/Manu Chao - here is "On Telephon" which makes me smile every time it pops up on my playlists.
  • That was pretty cool.

"The Moribund People" - Peccatum
  • That's an awesome video.

Fools - The Dodos
  • edited September 2008
    Nine Black Alps - Bitter End:

Post edited by Blattus on
  • edited September 2008
    Mindless Self Indulgence - Shut Me Up

This band is very much a concert band. When their lead singer was sick once while the band was on tour, their drummer [Female] got her boyfriend to sing in his place, her boyfriend just so happens to be the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.
    Post edited by sibnova on
  • of Montreal - Gronlandic Edit

• I love that song.

Sad Sappy Sucker-era Modest Mouse

The song is Every Penny Fed Car. It's from MM's first record (recorded in '94) that didn't get released until 2001. It's really interesting to listen to, especially with Isaac's straining, untrained vocals. Not as genius as The Moon & Antarctica, but well worth checking out.

• Apes and Androids - Hot Kathy.
  • This lady is named Chris Connor. You should listen to her because she has a beautiful voice, of a type that rock bands don't generally take advantage of. She's still around, although now very old.

• System of a Down-Chop Suey!
  • Finnish symphonic metal. The lead singer from 96-05, Tarja, has the most amazing voice. The new singer in her own right is excellent, but I enjoy the old stuff better :)

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score
    edited September 2008
    Finnish symphonic metal. The lead singer from 96-05, Tarja, has the most amazing voice. The new singer in her own right is excellent, but I enjoy the old stuff better :)
    Agreed, though I personally don't really like the new singer, then again, I've only heard one song of her. Also, this is the one of the very few metal bands I like listening to once in a blue moon, hence no collection on my HD.

As for recommending a band, hrm. I'm thinking about They Might Be Giants - We're the Mesopotamians, since that song was stuck in my head while I was fixing my comp (it no longer booted, crap), however after listening to Nightwish, I am now tempted to post Evanescence or Within Temptation. *goes off for a minute*

Within Temptation - What have you done.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I thought that this was going to become a "look at this obscure band I like", I'm surprised that like 80% is mainstream or stuff that people who post here probably have at least heard of.

I leave you with mine:

Kashmir: Curse of being a Girl and Rocket Brothers

• edited September 2008
    I thought that this was going to become a "look at this obscure band I like", I'm surprised that like 80% is mainstream or stuff that people who post here probably have at least heard of.
    Oh, sorry, lemme fix that.

Fatalist Palmistry - Why?
    The Hollows - Why?

I've been really digging this band lately. Alopecia is an awesome album.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Thank you, that's the thing I like about these threads, browsing and discovering new good stuff.

• :wumpscut: - Soylent Green

Couldn't find an actual music video, and I like this better than the other fanmade ones.
  • edited September 2008

Code monkey by Jonathon Coulton

(Also an astoundingly well done AMV)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • This band is very much a concert band. When their lead singer was sick once while the band was on tour, their drummer [Female] got her boyfriend to sing in his place, her boyfriend just so happens to be the lead singer of My Chemical Romance.
    Wrong. Gerard Way is married to the Bassist, Lyn-Z.

Also, the video of Shut Me Up is directed by Jhonen Vasquez.
  • edited September 2008
    Magik Markers are a super fantastic noise punk duo reminiscent of the Sonic Youth. Their album BOSS, produced by none other than Lee Ranaldo from Sonic Youth, is one of my all time favorites. I think it's much better than any Sonic Youth release, for the raw power that it introduces from track one and never lets up on. I also really love the story telling on some of the slower, less punk tracks.

Here's one of their less noisy, slower tunes:

And one of their really distorted jams. Body Rot.

• Queens of the Stone Age - Turnin' on the Screw
  • For all you metal lovers out there an oldie but a goodie...

Fear Factory - Replica

• The Sword - Winter's Wolves.

They're opening for 'tallica on the fall tour. Can't wait to finally see them live.
  • edited September 2008
    Damn, that's awesome. I need to get one of their records. Suggestions?

Miklshake - Holy Fuck. So called "analog electronica." Their two drummers work great together.

• Melechesh - "Ladders to Sumeria" from the album Emissaries

Friggin' awesome black/death band. Their earlier stuff has a more noticeably Middle-Eastern folk influence, but it's still present in their more recent stuff (like this).