This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Harrison Beregron

a1sa1s
edited September 2008 in Everything Else
So, I've read Harrison Beregron after it was mentioned a few times on the air (it really is short, even by human standards!). So now I want to disscuss it.

Basically what I don't get is why Harrison does those things on TV. His death was obviously inevitable, and he did nothing to prevent it (Though I can't help but wonder if Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General was more than she seemed. Her actions possessed a lot more sensibility than, what the "average" human, illustrated by the Bergerons, is allowed to be capable of), the public could be shown nothing by his performance (even his own parents couldn't understand what was going on), on the othe hand we are led to believe he was the smartest man on earth. What am I missing?

Comments

• You are missing the fact that despite the attempt being fruitless, he displayed that in order to understand what beauty is, you must understand that not everything in life can be fair. Fairness means mediocrity. No one can be better than someone else at anything because it wouldn't be fair to the other person. It's a very sad world which is portrayed in not only the story, but the movie as well.

I think you might be able to understand this better if you watch the movie. I think it gets the message across better.

Here, watch it.
  • This short story is no better than any other.
  • a1sa1s
    edited September 2008
    er... right. But if there's no audience capable of seeing his displays, what is the point? Does he get himself killed merely to prove a point that no oce can understand anyway? That is sad.
    Post edited by a1s on
  • er... right. But if there's no audience capable of seeing his displays, what is the point? Does he get himself killed merely to prove a point that no one can understand anyway? That is sad.
    It's the same reason a small group of people will protest something publicly even if the public around them doesn't care.
  • That movie was really depressing.