This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Detroit Metal City

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
So this movie is seriously popular right now. There's a manga and an anime about it too.

Here's a review.

bcu8W-3XjjM

Comments

• Hm, he looks more black metal than death metal, what with the face paint and all.

I think I need to see this.
  • I watched a little of the anime, it's alright as a comedy.
  • Oh man, I've been wanting to see the movie since its making was announced on ANN. It's just such a great, fun premise. :3 I have a small hope that this will eventually come to DVD in North America (Gene Simmons cameo could aid in marketing?), but if it doesn't, I will hunt down a torrent for sure.
  • I heard that plans for a Hollywood remake with the same premise are in the works.
  • -Twitch-twitch-. Hollywood, stop doing remakes of movies from other countries! Put some faith in the American people! Oh wait, it is a bad idea to put faith in people who "don't want to read their movies." I hate people.

But anyway, this movie looks very silly and Japanese metal = hilarious.
  • DMC is amazing.
  • The continuation of Japan's obsession with KISS.
  • edited September 2008
    I want to see the sub of this so badly now....
    EDIT: "rising up from the bowels of hell to fornicate with your mother!" from the review should be in the forum's tittle bar at some point. XD
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Ok, so at first I thought this was going to be kind of silly. Then we watched one episode of the anime. It was funny, but it felt like a one shot joke.

Now I've watched the entire anime in one straight shot. I can't get enough. My only complaint is that the anime didn't give any real closure.
  • Ok, so at first I thought this was going to be kind of silly. Then we watched one episode of the anime. It was funny, but it felt like a one shot joke.

Now I've watched the entire anime in one straight shot. I can't get enough. My only complaint is that the anime didn't give any real closure.
    For real?

I may need to watch this. Is it licensed?
  • edited November 2008
    Ok, so at first I thought this was going to be kind of silly. Then we watched one episode of the anime. It was funny, but it felt like a one shot joke.

The anime was basically just a few chapters of the manga animated(hence the lack of closure). The manga isn't licensed though, so only way to get it in english is scanned.
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on
  • I may need to watch this. Is it licensed?
    No, all the fansubs are out.
  • The anime was basically just a few chapters of the manga animated(hence the lack of closure). The manga isn't licensed though, so only way to get it in english is scanned.
    Scans links?
  • The anime was basically just a few chapters of the manga animated(hence the lack of closure). The manga isn't licensed though, so only way to get it in english is scanned.
    Scans links?
    Right here.
  • I thought it looked up your alley, Scott, that's why I recommended it. I wanna see the live action.
  • I wanna see the live action.
    I looked, and I couldn't find it on piratebay :( Will have to browse asian DVD dealers, perhaps even bootleg ones.
  • Just a note for people. The DownloadThemAll! Firefox extension is very useful for getting a whole bunch of scans like that without spending hours clicking and clicking.
  • Just a note for people. The DownloadThemAll! Firefox extension is very useful for getting a whole bunch of scans like that without spending hours clicking and clicking.
    And getting things from /d/ /c/ threads.
  • 10 rapes per second! ... 'nuff said.
    (See avatar for a terrorist straight out of hell)
  • 10 rapes per second! ... 'nuff said.
    (See avatar for a terrorist straight out of hell)
    Yeah, well, that's really after the Lead Singer nerf. Pre-nerf, their RPS was way higher. It's still not nearly on par with Lead Guitarist RPS, but then, the singer has more group-buffing abilities.

Kinda reaching for that one.
  • Yeah, well, that's really after the Lead Singer nerf. Pre-nerf, their RPS was way higher. It's still not nearly on par with Lead Guitarist RPS, but then, the singer has more group-buffing abilities.

Kinda reaching for that one.
    Yeah, it's not working. I you had seen the show, you would understand the amazing feat of 11 rapes per second!
  • It's not out on DVD in Japan yet, so you are going to have a hard time finding the live action.
  • It's not out on DVD in Japan yet, so you are going to have a hard time finding the live action.
    Ok, I can wait.
    good things come to those who wait
  • Yeah, it's not working. I you had seen the show, you would understand the amazing feat of 11 rapes per second!
    But couldn't you just make 10 higher?
  • You can't say 10 rapes! (per second, at least)

I finally watched this today, all in one go.
    "It's like the feeling of knowing that in some small pocket of the world, nuclear weapons are being manufactured!"
  • The movie is having a NYC showing:
    Live Action DMC Showing in NYC