This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Warm Outergarments

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
I hate my zip-up jacket to the point that I'm not wearing it anymore even when it's cold out. One of my biggest problems with it is, because it's designed for wearing at sailing races, it's multilayered and not portable enough to comfortably fit in my backpack when it warms up. Living in southern California, it can always be asumed that if it's cold enough to wear a jacket it won't be cold enough the entire day, so portablility is a must. I want to get one of these but have never worn this style of warm outergarment before and am not sure of it's comfiness and portability.

What do you wear when it's a bit nippy outside?

Comments

• Got a new set of wool socks today as my feet are always varying between cold and numb. They're helping a bit.
  • Summer no longer exists in Washington anymore. It got pretty cold pretty quick, however for when the weather is a bit nippy, I wear a cardigan type zip up hoodie. It's thin enough to not make me too hot but thick enough to keep me warm.

Today I actually had to wear a long sleeve shirt as well as tennis shoes.:(
  • RymRym
    edited September 2008
    I wear outergarments in the following order as temperature decreases.
    1. Windbreaker
    2. Duster
    3. Duster with extra liner inside
    4. Full ski jacket
    5. Full ski jacket plus snow pants, neck seal, hood, and facemask
    If I'm not riding the train, the order for duster and windbreaker is reversed. I never wear long-sleeved shirts unless I'm dressing formally. Never.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have three coats. I have a full-on wintry coat, for when it's freezing out. I have a leather jacket, for when it's cold, but not quite freezing. Lastly, I have a NY Mets zip-up hoodie for when your team is choking their way out of the playoffs for the second year in a row.
  • Wool and/or silk. I avoid cottons, because they are terrible for keeping you warm. I have a thin wool over-sweater that does wonders at keeping me warm, and yet packs up quite tidily.

Otherwise I wear my wool coat, which is 50s style and not really greatly portable unless you are wearing it. Also, very warm.
  • Hoddie + Beanie, then again, we don't have winter down here.
  • My military jacket when it's nippy. If it's super cold my military print coat with hood is on. I also have a red coat I would wear.
  • Maybe I'll get this ^____^
  • Maybe I'll getthis^____^
    It would be cooler if they had Tiny Toon characters to it, however it's still pretty awesome.
  • I drape myself in big pieces of cloth during the winter months, in a style I have heard described as "high class bag lady." My long black wool coat, Long fuzzy sweaters, and scarves and shawls are a must, along with some type of large winter boots and fingerless gloves. I usually wear a knit hat with ears or pompoms or braids on it, like one of those Peruvian hats. In the fall, I like to wear my plaid poncho or my serape, which is this woolen drape garment that you wrap up in.
  • Hoodies, hoodies, and more hoodies.
  • edited September 2008
    I want the ''Blow Up the Moon' science hoodie for outdoor excursions on semi-mild spring/fall days. I'm also entirely with Rym; I only wear long sleeves inside if I'm on my way to a fancy party or equivalent. ^_^
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • I have my leather jacket, and that's it. I'm so screwed when winter arrives.
  • If you feel cool inside, putting a hat on while at your desk warms the top half of your body really fast.
  • I forgot that I actually have a wide array of coats and jackets. I have the poofy type jacket that is filled with down feathers, a wool coat, wool sweater, and sweater hoody that I rotate depending upon the weather. I sometimes where scarves, however I honestly don't wear my jackets/coats a lot because I'm not outside too much during the winter.

However, in the morning when it comes to driving and my car and steering wheel is beyond freezing I wear these bad boys. They are my favorite pair of glovs/mittens.
  • Right now the weather here is just a few degrees from me wearing my zipup hoodie with holes near the end of the sleeves. I love this thing. When it gets colder and/or starts to rain, I have a nice trenchcoat that I got from a thrift store last year.
    I have a variety of hats for different weather. Flatcap, fedora, knitted stocking cap and so on.
    This thread reminds me that I need to either locate my fave scarf or knit a new one.
  • I have two jackets: one light jacket, one heavy jacket. I only wear them during winter, and I wear the heavy only if it's snowing or below 0 F.
  • I have a nice topcoat, a leather trenchcoat, a raincoat/trenchcoat, a very heavy military trenchcoat, two leather flight jackets, and a surplus pea coat. I also employ a number of sweaters and cardigans.
  • I have a wool peacoat that I wear when it gets cold. By cold, I mean below zero and snowing. Anywhere over that, I'm in a t-shirt. Perhaps a long-sleeve shirt with an undershirt, but that's usually as layered as I get.
  • I have one coat that I wear when it goes below 32. I wear a t-shirt and shorts ever day of the year, and this is good enough if it does go below freezing. Puma=Awesome
  • T-shirt, sweater over that when it gets colder, coat over that. I seriously need a jacket of sorts. =_=
  • I have a favorite leather jacket and a couple of really soft poofy sweaters that I like to wear when it gets nippy. It never gets cold enough where I live to wear cute scarves and gloves though.
  • I have three hoodies, some windbreaker and sweat pants, and one fairly heavy coat. That's all you really need here.
  • My favorite material for outerwear is fleece, because it holds onto heat really well. Even my heavy coat is fleece-lined (living in Texas, I only need two coats - one for when it's chilly and one for ice storms).
  • Lastly, I have a NY Mets zip-up hoodie for when your team is choking their way out of the playoffs for the second year in a row.
    You have no idea.
  • Pea coat is my jacket of choice
  • edited September 2008
    I have tons of coats in various styles, with various weatherproofing, etc. But I prefer sweaters to almost any other type of clothing. Not so much of the big bulky variety, but more like a blouse alternative. A soft creak cowl neck tunic sweater, dark jeans, and a pair of boots... that is my favorite outfit and I would wear it every day if I could get away with jeans at work.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I have a hoodie that I bought from a place that makes outerwear for cops. It has "G.P.D." in big letters on the front and inside those letters, it says "Gotham City Police Dept." I also have a black mock turtleneck with "G.C.P.D." monogrammed on the neck.
  • I got a really nice track jacket at a Quicksilver store which is warm enough for anything without wind.
    If there's wind I usually wear a thin zip-up hoddie.
  • I have a number of jackets and such, but my favourites are:

-My great grandfather's heavy wool trenchcoat
    -My warm green army trenchcoat
    -My stylish black cotton trenchcoat

I hope I will be warm enough in the winter. I have a lot of scarves, but I need to buy new gloves. I have a variety of warm hats, though I wish there was a hatter around here.