This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In college? Want Office 07 Ultimate for $60?

edited September 2008 in Everything Else
Love Microsoft or hate them, you can't deny that they'll help to fledgling college student out by offering software at a discount. Aside from the days when I could get Office 03 for $10, this is the biggest discount on Office software from Microsoft in a long time.

Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate for $60

Comments

• Love Microsoft or hate them, you can't deny that they'll help to fledgling college student out by offering software at a discount. Aside from the days when I could get Office 03 for $10, this is the biggest discount on Office software from Microsoft in a long time.

When I was at RIT you could get Windows licenses for free. The only reason we have legal copies of XP is because of that.
  • edited September 2008
    How well does it work under Wine?
    Note: Under additional products (up left) they have Vista Ultimate upgrade for $65.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Love Microsoft or hate them, you can't deny that they'll help to fledgling college student out by offering software at a discount. Aside from the days when I could get Office 03 for $10, this is the biggest discount on Office software from Microsoft in a long time.

When I was at RIT you could get Windows licenses for free. The only reason we have legal copies of XP is because of that.
    That's still true, but they stopped giving away office a few years ago cause too many people were selling their copies. I got Vista Business for free through my school, but they haven't had a discount on Office software in a while.
    How well does it work under Wine?
    Note: Under additional products (up left) they have Vista Ultimate upgrade for $65.
    It's Microsoft software, it's pretty much engineered to not run under wine.
  • Have you actually tried to use that fsm-forsaken piece of junk? They have changed the UI to the point where a room of experienced office users had to spend 15 minutes trying to figure where the save-as option was hidden. I have not had installed on my computer, but I played around with it and was unable to find any sort of classic view to get rid of the "ribbon". Office went down hill when they started hiding menu options that you didn't use "often" enough.
  • Have you actually tried to use that fsm-forsaken piece of junk? They have changed the UI to the point where a room of experienced office users had to spend 15 minutes trying to figure where the save-as option was hidden. I have not had installed on my computer, but I played around with it and was unable to find any sort of classic view to get rid of the "ribbon". Office went down hill when they started hiding menu options that you didn't use "often" enough.
    Amen to that. I'll take my OpenOffice bloatware over Office bloatware any day.

... Unless I'm in a corporate setting. As bad as Office 07's UI is, Exchange servers are the (finicky, but effective) hotness.
  • Abiword, Gnumeric, and Google docs are all you should need.
  • edited September 2008
    I have used, and I prefer it. Office 2003 was a cluttered mess in terms of a HCI, with everything tacked on over the years where ever it happened to fit. If you took two people who'd never used Word in their lives and plunked one in front of 2003 and the other in front of 2007, I'm willing to bet the 2007 user would get the hang of it a lot quicker than the 2003 person.
    Abiword, Gnumeric, and Google docs are all you should need.
    In the coder world maybe, but in the business world people need more advanced features than font selection and tab settings.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I have become partial to apples iWork '08. Pages and Numbers can not be beat for making stuff look very pretty, very quickly. I switch between OpenOffice.org and Office 2003 at school.
  • In the coder world maybe, but in the business world people need more advanced features than font selection and tab settings.
    What do you need?
  • Tables of contents, charts, indents, headings, etc.
    Uh, Abiword can do that.
    Uh, Abiword can do that.
    It's also something of a requirement that it use DOCs.
    Uh, Abiword can do that.
    Again, no problem.
    Uh, Abiword can do that.
    Again, no problem.
    Shut down.
    Uh, Abiword can do that.
    Again, no problem.
    Shut down.
    Eh, hope their intergration of DOCs are better than OpenOffice, cause that was poor at best last I used it.

Look, the point is if you're in college and want office, there it is.

• Eh, hope their intergration of DOCs are better than OpenOffice, cause that was poor at best last I used it.

You said business users need more advanced features. You still haven't told us what those features are.
  • edited September 2008

Eh, I hope their integration of DOCs are better than OpenOffice, because it was poor at best last I used it.

You said business users need more advanced features. You still haven't told us what those features are.
    Fine. Office is just straight up required because Microsoft owns the market. You're going to be using office for many years to come, like it or not.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • That site looks so professional!

Here's the australian version. It's Not Cheating

Seriously, the guy has a giant red spot over his crotch!
  • Fine.Office is just straight up requiredbecauseMicrosoft owns the market. You'regoing tobe using office for many years to come, like it or not.
    Plenty of people get by just fine with alternative applications.
  • edited September 2008
    Fine.Office is just straight up requiredbecauseMicrosoft owns the market. You'regoing tobe using office for many years to come, like it or not.
    Did I actually forget to type "going to" in that second sentence?
    Plenty of people get by just fine with alternative applications.
    Ok, but every company I've interned with and worked for up to this point has had and required the use of Microsoft Office. One of those companies used Macs exclusively too.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • The only thing I find annoying when using OpenOffice is, that sometimes the formatting gets screwed up when importing .doc files.