This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fire Emblem

GeoGeo
edited September 2008 in Video Games
In celebration of the newest installment of Fire Emblem being released in Japan last month, I decided to make a long-overdue thread about the series itself. For those of you who are either interested or don't know, the new game that came out was a remake of the 1st game in the series, starring Marth.

What is your opinion of the series and games (If you've played a majority of them which is unlikely)? If you have one, which main character is your favorite? Which game in particular is your favorite (regarding story and characters)? If you're a veteran player, which class do you particularly like the most? If you don't have a sole favorite class, than name your top five.

Personally, I frickin' love Fire Emblem to death and I've played all the games at least once (mostly by pirating them and using IPS translation patches).

Personally, it's very difficult to choose a favorite main character as many of the games (especially in the Super Famicom days) sported multiple main characters at once. But to answer the question, I'd have to say it's a three-way tie between Sigurd (FIre Emblem 4: Geneaology of the Holy War), Hector (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword), and Ike ( Who was both in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn).

As for my favorite game, it's again difficult to choose as the game formula constantly changes every now and then. I'd have to say that it's tie between Blazing Sword and Radiant Dawn. As a veteran player, I would have to say that my top 5 favorite classes are the following: Sage, Druid, Swordmaster, Warrior, and Assassin.

EDIT: As a side note, my favorite gameplay aspect of the series is being able to convince a supposed enemy character to your side.

Comments

• edited September 2008
    I love the Fire Emblem games, I completely devoured the GBA releases and beat them to 100% completion. I really want to play the console releases, but I haven't gotten around to them. As for characters, I really liked Eliwood, Lyndis, and Raven (all from Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword). My favourite classes are Heroes (because they are beasts on the battlefield), Assassins, Sages, Valkyries, and whatever Myrrh was in The Sacred Stones.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Apparently, this sprite sheet image represents a character with Scott's name. He isn't anything like the Scott we know. In the game he is a cruel, heartless bastard who wants nothing more than to torture and kill people. In short, he is the basic stereotypical brigand/bandit.
  • Games that got released in the US:
    Fire Emblem - awesome. Played the hell out of it. Got me hooked on the series.
    Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones- less awesome, but not bad. Some characters were totally worthless and some were outright broken. It just wasn't as fun or difficult (which IMO added to the fun of the game).
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radience- shitty. Music (which was one thing I really loved about the first game, and somewhat of the second game) was awful, story wasn't worth shit, graphics didn't impress me much (I prefer 2d RPGs over 3d almost 99% of the time), gameplay was kinda weak
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn- didn't play. After the flop (IMO) of the GC one, and how this one is a sequel, I decided to not give a shit.

Japan:
    FE6- I played the first like 6 or so chapters with a translated rom and while I really like it, it's hard as fuck...so I got stuck and never really did much about it.

Now, even though the quality of the US games has been going down, I'm really looking forward to FE:DS, since it's going back on handheld...and I love the DS.
  • My friends love these games. I really don't see what the fuss is about.
  • My friends love these games. I really don't see what the fuss is about.
    Play through ALL of Fire Emblem (the 1st GBA game) and you'll see what we mean. However, if have and it didn't tickle your fancy, too bad.
  • He isn't anything like the Scott we know. In the game he is a cruel, heartless bastard who wants nothing more than to torture and kill people.
    I like this guy already.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2008
    Fire Emblem - awesome. Played the hell out of it. Got me hooked on the series.
    I totally agree, to this day it is still (and probably will remain) my favorite Fire Emblem ever.
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radience- shitty. Music (which was one thing I really loved about the first game, and somewhat of the second game) was awful, story wasn't worth shit, graphics didn't impress me much (I prefer 2d RPGs over 3d almost 99% of the time), gameplay was kinda weak
    I agree that the game didn't do too well, but it was nice to see that it went back to the days of Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776, and that was enough for me.
    Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn- didn't play. After the flop (IMO) of the GC one, and how this one is a sequel, I decided to not give a shit.
    That's too bad, because I thought it was a lot better than Path of Radiance. I'm only saying that because I liked Path of Radiance, and I thought it was cool they added more to the formula.
    FE6- I played the first like 6 or so chapters with a translated rom and while I really like it, it's hard as fuck...so I got stuck and never really did much about it.
    It is a very hard game, I will give you that. But I'm willing to endure the elements to beat this game so the story of Elibe (at least in my mind) can be given a proper closing. One thing I don't like about it however is that it lacks a lot of emotional moments from Blazing Sword which is what made the latter shine. That may or may not be true in later chapters as I haven't got further than chapter 11B.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I borrowed the two GBA Fire Emblems from Scott Johnson at one point. I started to play the first one, but then jumped over to the second one, which seemed a lot more polished. I was really digging it, but I stopped playing it for a short while. I was unable to pick it back up again easily. It's one of those games where if you stop playing it, you have to start over because you forgot what was going on.

I plan to get the DS Fire Emblem when it comes out in the US.
  • Ah, Fire Emblem. I've gotten addicted in the past year, to the point of needing a fix badly enough to search out the FE6 translation on R.I.T.'s file HUB for lack of ability to find the other GBA titles in the stores nearby campus. Luckily, my aunt managed to find a copy and sent it to me for my birthday, and I'm starting to get into it now; so my only experience so far is FE7, Blazing Sword. Still, I love the gameplay, and am looking forward to playing through 6 and 8 as soon as I can manage. Favorite classes?
    -Bishops, (Lucius was completely hax in seven, seriously,)
    -Berserker
    -Archers. Sniper was great, didn't get enough time to experiment with Nomad before I gave the game back to the friend who lent it to me.
    -Cavalier. The flying classes are good too; FE7's pegasus knights were great, but on the whole, I like the stat layout of Cavaliers better, not to mention I managed to create a Kent that could actually contribute to killing the dragon boss, proving his epic.
  • Path of Radiance didn't have the Shaman class in it. It's the worst game by default simply because of that. Radiant Dawn doesn't seem too much better, but I haven't played much of it.

The GBA games are awesome, though. I hope the DS game is closer to those than it is to the 3D ones.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2008
    Path of Radiance didn't have the Shaman class in it. It's the worst game by default simply because of that. Radiant Dawn doesn't seem too much better, but I haven't played much of it.

The GBA games are awesome, though. I hope the DS game is closer to those than it is to the 3D ones.
    Actually later on in Radiant Dawn, you'll see Druids in the game that DO use Dark Magic. Unfortunately, you are not able to do so. But....... if you play through a second time you'll come to a specific point in one of the conversations where you're given the choice to kill a specific person. If you let that person live, you'll find that he is able to perform all Dark magic which that in and of itself is beastly.

On the topic of Path of Radiance itself, it's my personal belief that Nintendo tried to introduce gamers who for whatever reason don't like handheld games and therefore missed out on Fire Emblems past. That belief also goes for the fact that they switched the game formula back to the Super Famicom days (whether it was to relive the glory days or do something different is beyond me). Being that I've already played Thracia 776 and Genealogy of the Holy War, I thought it was cool that Nintendo revived the old formula.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • For anyone who is a Fire Emblem nut like myself and wants to know more about the series itself, I strongly suggest you visit feplanet and Serenes Forest where you'll find an abundant wealth of information and then some.
  • but it was nice to see that it went back to the days of Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776, and that was enough for me.
    What did they go back to? Genealogy isn't anything like the other games, what with the whole relationships/having kids part, and then that thing with stamina (that was FE:GotHW, right?)...
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2010
    but it was nice to see that it went back to the days of Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776, and that was enough for me.
    What did they go back to? Genealogy isn't anything like the other games, what with the whole relationships/having kids part, and then that thing with stamina (that was FE:GotHW, right?)...
    I meant specifically with the way the weapon triangle and trinity of magic worked. Although the whole relationships and kids thing would possibly be an awesome edition to the as-of-yet unmade Fire Emblem 12.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Path of Radiance didn't have the Shaman class in it. It's the worst game by default simply because of that.
    Quoted for truth.

I've played FE7 (the first one on GBA) and Path of Radiance all the way through. (Both Hector's and Eliwood's stories in FE7, but not on Hard.) I like the art style in FE7 much better, and I think the use of 3D really ruined some of the things they did with designs, especially in the combat. Also, I dislike Path of Radiance because it did not have Shamans, and Ike was powerful to the point of being broken.

As for my favorite character, I firmly believe that Canas is the best character ever. (Although closely followed by Lucius, who, as previously stated, is ridiculously powerful)
  • Path of Radiance didn't have the Shaman class in it. It's the worst game by default simply because of that.
    Quoted for truth.

I've played FE7 (the first one on GBA) and Path of Radiance all the way through. (Both Hector's and Eliwood's stories in FE7, but not on Hard.) I like the art style in FE7 much better, and I think the use of 3D really ruined some of the things they did with designs, especially in the combat. Also, I dislike Path of Radiance because it did not have Shamans, and Ike was powerful to the point of being broken.

As for my favorite character, I firmly believe that Canas is the best character ever. (Although closely followed by Lucius, who, as previously stated, is ridiculously powerful)
    What about Ray, Lilina, or Lugh from Fire Emblem 6? They were teh fuckin' business when it came to magic of any kind. In case you are unfamiliar with those characters, I'll describe them like so
    Ray = Shaman (surprisingly he's pretty fast for a shaman)
    Lilina = Mage (she's basically a rocket when it comes to increasing stats per level up)
    Lugh = Mage (he dodges many physical attacks quite easily and is pretty damn quick)
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2008
    As a follow-up to the Scott sprite sheet, I will post a picture of Rym's character counterpart by name. He does indeed have one due to the fact that his real name is Brandon. However, this character's name is Brendan which is close enough. image

Unlike Scott's counterpart, Rym's counterpart is far from evil. He created a band of mercenaries known as the Black Fang which is basically a Robin Hood-esque group except with ten times as more members. However, Nergal (the main baddie of Fire Emblem 7) secretly gained control of the Black Fang by placing a Morph (soulless clones of real people) named Sonia to fall in love with and eventually marry Brendan. What I meant by "secretly" gaining control is that Sonia (with her powers of persuasion) convinces Brendan that he is still in charge, when in fact he isn't. Sadly after his two sons Linus and Lloyd are killed by Sonia, he finally figures everything out but is killed by her before he can do anything about it.
    Post edited by Geo on