This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Watch your grammar, guys

Comments

• I am from Austria! (and only austrians get this inside joke).
  • I am from Austria! (and only austrians get this inside joke).
    Austria? Well then, G'day mate! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie! (Only Jim Carrey fans get this inside joke. ^_~)
  • Well, I'm from the Netherlands, but I think my English is far above average.
  • Finnish here.
  • I am from Zimbabwe.
  • I speak Kannada as a native language but I have lived in the US for half my life (8 years.)
    So, I'd like to think that my English is just as good well, if not better, as my native language. ^^
    Corrected.
  • Finnish here.
    Okay. Where do you want us to start?
  • Finnish here.
    Okay. Where do you want us to start?
    I think you're to late, unless you want us to work our way up...
    In which case; Joe, ask him where to start!
  • Clue me in...who are the non-native English speakers?
    If you can't tell who they are, they're doing fine.
    Very true. I can tell who (some) of the British people are, though, when they spell certains words slightly differently.
  • edited September 2008
    I speak Kannada as a native language but I have lived in the US for half my life (8 years.)
    So, I'd like to think that my English is just asgoodwell, if not better, as my native language. ^^
    Corrected.
    Actually, I do believe that "good" is correct in that usage. The "good" is modifying "English." "Well" is an adverb the way you're looking to use it, unless you mean his English is in good health. :p

If he had said "...speak English...," you'd be correct.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I speak Kannada as a native language but I have lived in the US for half my life (8 years.)
    So, I'd like to think that my English is just asgoodwell, if not better, as my native language. ^^
    Corrected.
    Actually, I do believe that "good" is correct in that usage. The "good" is modifying "English." "Well" is an adverb the way you're looking to use it, unless you mean his English is in good health. :p

Ack! You are correct! I read through quickly and thought is was the usuall "I speak good" rather than the correct "I speak well." My apologies.
    Corrected.

Ack! You are correct! I read through it quickly and thought it was the usual "I speak good" rather than the correct "I speak well." My apologies.
    Sorry... I just had to.
  • English grammar is one of the most pathetically easy to learn. Sometimes I mess up because I start applying grammar rules from other languages to English, but English itself is really a very easy language to learn (except maybe for spelling and pronunciation, which can be tricky at times).
  • Ack! You are correct! I read throughitquickly and thought itwas theusual"I speak good" rather than the correct "I speak well." My apologies.
    Sorry... I just had to.
    Hmmm, shouldn't there also be a comma after "usual" and "correct"?
  • edited September 2008
    Ack! You are correct! I read throughitquickly and thought itwas theusual"I speak good" rather than the correct "I speak well." My apologies.
    Sorry... I just had to.
    If so, you should have a comma after "after" and "and"; I should as well. But I'm pretty sure that only applies to direct quotations, not indicative/emphatic quotation marks.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • Hmmm, shouldn't there also be a comma after "usual" and "correct"?
    And why would that be?
  • Ack! You are correct! I read throughitquickly and thought itwas theusual"I speak good" rather than the correct "I speak well." My apologies.
    Sorry... I just had to.
    No.
    Corrected.
    Dang! I should have caught that one. I actually put in "well" at first, but it sounded too weird.
  • Dang! I should have caught that one. I actually put in "well" at first, but it sounded too weird.
    You should read more of the thread, you had it correct. The correction was wrong.
  • Dang! I should have caught that one. I actually put in "well" at first, but it sounded too weird.
    You should read more of the thread, you had it correct. The correction was wrong.
    Your first sentence requires a semicolon, not a comma.
    He could have also used a conjunction.
    Yeah, but semicolons are way cooler.
  • Yeah, but semicolons are way cooler.
    Semicolons are the sexy lovechild of the period and comma.
    That should be either "Semicolons are the sexy lovechildren of the period and comma." or "The semicolon is the sexy lovechild of the period and comma."

Just so you know.
    Semicolon doujinshi. Wow.
    That should be either "Semicolons are the sexy lovechildren of the period and comma," or "The semicolon is the sexy lovechild of the period and comma."

Just so you know.
    That should be either "Semicolons are the sexy lovechildren of the period and comma." or "The semicolon is the sexy lovechild of the period and comma."

Just so you know.
    Just so you know, "semicolons" is a group noun and fits under the compound subject exception to the subject-verb rule. Just so you know.

On a related note, everyone with an English degree, raise your hand. What? I have one? Wow!
    Both of you, explain. I'm not fixing or learning anything from just being told to do x, but also by being explained why it's supposed to be x.
  • Just so you know, "semicolons" is a group noun and fits under the compound subject exception to the subject-verb rule. Just so you know.
    Really? Fuck!
  • edited September 2008
    Okay, lets be reasonable though. There's no need to break out the grammar hammer as long as the post is legible, contains a understandable idea, and has correct spelling. Spelling is taken care of for you by FireFox and the spell checker on the bottom of the submit field, so the rest is just basic writing skills. I don't think there's really a need to know about compound subject exceptions and all that just to write a decent post. Our goal should be to make Mr. Period obsolete, not requisite.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on