This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tonight's Debate

2»

Comments

• Can we draft Josiah Bartlett?
    Or Matthew Santos. Seriously I think the West Wing may have ruined my expectations for President. I really expect a lot more then what is probably possible.

I feel I should have watched the debate, but I've decided not to watch them since regardless of what McCain says now there is no reason why I would vote for him.
  • I think both parties will claim that their party "won," but to me it seemed like they both lost
    Just listen to the "experts" and you'll know who won ;-p
  • It seems to me that McCain relied more on rhetoric than "really" talking about issues. Granted, I'm totally biased: I support Obama and dislike McCain so of course I would perceive Obama as handling the debate better than McCain. Anyway, McCain seemed to use stock phrases more than addressing the issues at hand, which made him seem to be stating sound bites rather than in depth analysis of the issues.
  • It seems to me that McCain relied more on rhetoric than "really" talking about issues. Granted, I'm totally biased: I support Obama and dislike McCain so of course I would perceive Obama as handling the debate better than McCain. Anyway, McCain seemed to use stock phrases more than addressing the issues at hand, which made him seem to be stating sound bites rather than in depth analysis of the issues.
    I'm pretty biased too, but when I was trying to take notes I kept noticing that Obama was talking around the questions. For example: When the moderator asked what programs would be cut to deal with the economic bailout, he never really answered. Granted, McCain didn't answer it either, but there was rhetoric and question dodging on both sides.

Also, did anyone else notice that Obama was saying "um" an awful lot at first? It seemed like it took him some time to get comfortable and find his stride.

None of this is going to change my vote, but I still think that it needs to be noted.
  • Also, did anyone else notice that Obama was saying "um" an awful lot at first? It seemed like it took him some time to get comfortable and find his stride.
  • edited September 2008
    Also, did anyone else notice that Obama was saying "um" an awful lot at first? It seemed like it took him some time to get comfortable and find his stride.
    I don't really hold this against him. It can take years to get out of this habit. I do it myself on occasion.
    Post edited by Pseudocidal on
  • From the very beginning, when the candidates introduced themselves, McCain seemed like he was speaking better than Obama.
    Obama spent most of the time on the defensive, always having to explain himself and justify his own actions in response to McCain.
    Although I didn't agree with most of the substance of what he had to say, McCain seemed to be knowledgable and articulate about his own points of view, and talked a lot about his travels and personal experiences, playing up the 'experienced' angle.

I don't feel that either candidate really said anything they haven't already said before, which was expected, but didn't make me any happier. I also disliked their dodging of the 'what would you cut in favor of the relief plan' question, which I thought was the best question they asked the whole time.
    I wish it could be Biden's turn to be up there.
  • I watched the debate yesterday on CNN (where I live it was live from 3 in the morning to 4:50) and during the debate I thought it was pretty even but Obama had the slight edge from my perspective and judging from the audience tracker CNN showed. It was a good debate though.

Why Voters Thought Obama Won
  • I don't think either canidate really won this debate, though I have to say that Obama definitely came out looking better than before.
  • Also, did anyone else notice that Obama was saying "um" an awful lot at first? It seemed like it took him some time to get comfortable and find his stride.
    I don't really hold this against him.
    I do.
    It can take years to get out of this habit. I do it myself on occasion.
    So do I, but it's not good. The occasional "um" is forgivable, even for people who's careers live or die on public speaking ability. But one of the first things a public speaking teacher will get you for is saying "um" too much. It makes you sound like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. For a regular person, it can be a little distracting. For a presidential candidate, it's extremely noticable. If I were to only have heard the first part of the debate, I'd have said that McCain won solely based on the fact that he sounded more together. It's a little thing, but it can create a really bad impression.
    I do.
    So do I, but it's not good. The occasional "um" is forgivable, even for people who's careers live or die on public speaking ability. But one of the first things a public speaking teacher will get you for is saying "um" too much. It makes you sound like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. For a regular person, it can be a little distracting. For a presidential candidate, it's extremely noticable. If I were to only have heard the first part of the debate, I'd have said that McCain won solely based on the fact that he sounded more together. It's a little thing, but it can create a really bad impression.
    You should never interview a japanese person. Etoooooooooo...
  • Obama spent most of the time on the defensive, always having to explain himself and justify his own actions in response to McCain.
    This is because McCain was using a clever strategy the Republicans have employed since the beginning of the campaign, and even back in the 2000 and 2004 campaigns. It's called "making shit up". Obama had to respond to the false claims right there or the Faux Newsians would have run with it. Hell, did you see that stupid ad they put out that showed only out of context snips of Obama when he agreed with McCain?
    I do.
    So do I, but it's not good. The occasional "um" is forgivable, even for people who's careers live or die on public speaking ability. But one of the first things a public speaking teacher will get you for is saying "um" too much. It makes you sound like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. For a regular person, it can be a little distracting. For a presidential candidate, it's extremely noticeable. If I were to only have heard the first part of the debate, I'd have said that McCain won solely based on the fact that he sounded more together. It's a little thing, but it can create a really bad impression.
    If we are going on guttural stops and body language, then McCain came out far worse. While Obama said "um" (which usually indicates considering what one will next say, not necessarily discomfort), McCain continually shifted from side-to-side, ground his teeth,glaringly mispronounced "Ahmadinejad" and even - repeatedly - outright laughed while Obama was speaking. (If y'all recall, everyone reprimanded Al Gore for sighing while Bush spoke, but apparently laughing is okay? Double standard much?) Now all of this is the shallow aspect of the debate. If you focus on the content of the debate, McCain continually relied on rhetoric and focused far too much on ear-marking (a mere drop in the ocean of our spending issues). All in all, polls show that Obama "won" by a large margin with McCain's highest numbers being in the mid-30's and Obama's lowest numbers being in the mid-40's. This is very telling as the theme of this debate was the "Foreign Policy and National Security", the two topics where McCain was believed to have a great deal of advantage by many in the media. If this was his moment to shine, he blew it.
    On a completely separate aspect of the debate, am I the only one that thought the moderator was awful? He continually tried to lower the tone of the debate by having the candidates address each other directly, he refused to keep to time restrictions, asked repeatedly for McCain and Obama to comment on a bill that wasn't even in its first draft (the "bailout"), and discuss hypothetical repercussions of that bill. I hope the next moderator does a bit better.
  • On a completely separate aspect of the debate, am I the only one that thought the moderator was awful? He continually tried to lower the tone of the debate by having the candidates address each other directly, he refused to keep to time restrictions, asked repeatedly for McCain and Obama to comment on a bill that wasn't even in its first draft (the "bailout"), and discuss hypothetical repercussions of that bill. I hope the next moderator does a bit better.
    Do you ever watch The NewsHour on PBS? If you don't, you should. Jim Lehrer usually is NOT as silly as he was during the debate. Most of the time he is deadly serious. It was odd, and I was disappointed in him.

I hope Gwen Ifill is the moderator for at least one debate. I often daydream of her.
  • On a completely separate aspect of the debate, am I the only one that thought the moderator was awful? He continually tried to lower the tone of the debate by having the candidates address each other directly, he refused to keep to time restrictions, asked repeatedly for McCain and Obama to comment on a bill that wasn't even in its first draft (the "bailout"), and discuss hypothetical repercussions of that bill. I hope the next moderator does a bit better.
    Do you ever watchThe NewsHouron PBS? If you don't, you should. Jim Lehrer usually is NOT as silly as he was during the debate. Most of the time he is deadly serious. It was odd, and I was disappointed in him.

I hope Gwen Ifill is the moderator for at least one debate. I often daydream of her.
    I have seen it occasionally and been underwhelmed by it, I have never understood the fuss about Lehrer. It is just a matter of taste.
  • If we are going on guttural stops and body language, then McCain came out far worse. While Obama said "um" (which usually indicates considering what one will next say, not necessarily discomfort), McCain continually shifted from side-to-side, ground his teeth,glaringly mispronounced "Ahmadinejad" and even - repeatedly - outright laughed while Obama was speaking. (If y'all recall, everyone reprimanded Al Gore for sighing while Bush spoke, but apparently laughing is okay? Double standard much?) Now all of this is the shallow aspect of the debate. If you focus on the content of the debate, McCain continually relied on rhetoric and focused far too much on ear-marking (a mere drop in the ocean of our spending issues). All in all, polls show that Obama "won" by a large margin with McCain'shighestnumbers being in the mid-30's and Obama'slowestnumbers being in the mid-40's. This is very telling as the theme of this debate was the "Foreign Policy and National Security", the two topics where McCain was believed to have a great deal of advantage by many in the media. If this was his moment to shine, he blew it.
    I agree that Obama won. I'm just saying that there are things he can improve for the next debate.
  • So anyone watching the debate tonight?
  • Wait. What time is it on?
  • 9 PM EST. In about an hour. I would suggest just using Skye chat to discuss the debate while it's happening rather than Ventrilo because you can have more people on Skype Chat. Just a suggestion. Depending upon my energy, I might just watch the debate while in bed.
  • I might not be able to watch at all. Work made us all go to a seminar from 6:00 p.m. til 7:30 p.m. I probably won't be back home before 10:00 p.m. By then, I'll be too tired.
  • Alright, I'll join in on the Skype stuff.

Should we start exchanging usernames?
  • Sounds good, I think most people have mine, just invite me into a chat :-p
  • Ok, it's starting...so...

Who'll be calling us?
  • are you sniperdragon? on skype?
  • I couldn't watch the debate. As soon as McCain began to answer the first question, I got queasy. I really did not feel well watching him talk. I will catch the highlights and read the transcripts.
  • McCain seemed quite rude to the moderator. Did anyone else think so?
  • Fact check about the debate. Seems McCain is significantly less than honest.
  • edited October 2008
    I should read the article before I comment.
    Post edited by Ametto on