This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planning to stay in NY from June 23rd to July 23rd

Comments

• What parts of the South have you actually been to?
    I lived in rural areas outside Nashville and Memhis. I've also lived in various places in Kentucky if that counts as The South for you. I've been to Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia too many times. No one I met there could be described as "nice" in any way.
    Kentucky counts. I lived there for five years and breathed a sigh of relief when I got back to Texas, if that tells you anything. I still say it depends on where in the South you are, and wouldn't avoid the whole place entirely.
  • Athens, GA might interest you too if you are into small-town bohemian atmospheres, but I wouldn't go out of my way.
    Why the FUCK would anyone want to go to that hell hole? I would rather cut my wrists than go to Athens...
    I lived in rural areas outside Nashville and Memhis. I've also lived in various places in Kentucky if that counts as The South for you. I've been to Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia too many times. No one I met there could be described as "nice" in any way.
    Kentucky counts. I lived there for five years and breathed a sigh of relief when I got back to Texas, if that tells you anything. I still say it depends on where in the South you are, and wouldn't avoid the whole place entirely.
    I would say a good rule of thumb to go by would be to stay in states that come in contact with the Atlantic (except Florida unless you're okay with selling your soul to Disney).
  • If the crust is "barely there", you might as well heat up a pepperoni stick in the microwave and eat it like a Slim Jim.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • Athens, GA might interest you too if you are into small-town bohemian atmospheres, but I wouldn't go out of my way.
    Why the FUCK would anyone want to go to that hell hole? I would rather cut my wrists than go to Athens...
    That's why I said not to go out of the way to vist there. It was only a suggestion as it is one of those love/hate cities. Besides, he might be a B-52s or R.E.M. fan and it's not like I told him to visit Millidgeville!
  • edited September 2008
    What parts of the South have you actually been to?
    Zip up, your undue bias is hanging out.
    Goddamn right I'm biased, asshole. I fucking lived there and I hated it. I earned the right to warn people that they shouldn't go there. Fuck you and your goddamned South.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • All I gotta say is...
    (sings)
    NEW YORK, NEW YORK! IT'S A HELL OF A TOWN!!

Oh Pete. We can have both kinds of pizza. It is acceptable.
  • All I gotta say is...
    (sings)

Oh Pete. We can have both kinds of pizza. It is acceptable.
    It's tolerable. Almost.

Though I'd probably take Chicago style pizza (mediocre) over Albany style pizza (unmitigated shit) any day.
    That's the southwest. The southeast is way better.
    Zip up, your undue bias is hanging out.
    Goddamn right I'm biased, asshole. I fucking lived there and I hated it. I earned the right to tell people that they shouldn't go there. Fuck you and your goddamned South.
    Chill. I was only teasing. You and my wife are the same way it seems. She grew up in a rural area and hates it whereas I grew up in the 'burbs and can see it's amazing potential. But, having also lived in the scumbumble parts of Georgia during my adolesence, I shared your very same opinion up until I left Chicago and visited much less savory parts of the world. It really is a pretty cool place if look at it the right way.
  • edited September 2008
    Get the hell off my Internets. There's no pizza in Chicago.
    Chicago IS pizza. You have some kind of doughy confection in NYC that youcallpizza, but it tastes kind of like Chef Boy-Ar-Dee raked off his some of his leftovers onto a piece of greasy cardboard.
    Agreed.

Quickly: Favorite Chicago pizza? There's a chance that we might agree.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2008
    On the first of April myZivildienstends and I won't attend University until September. I guessed I would travel around a bit and for one visit the USA.
    Opps, did I just be a Grammar Nazi?
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Opps, did I just be a Grammar Nazi?
    No, you're being a grammar twat. The difference being that you're an idiot.
    Well said.
  • edited September 2008
    Quickly: Favorite Chicago pizza? There's a chance that we might agree.
    Are you talking about specific restaurants? The only one I really remember specifically was Nancy's Home of Stuffed. The others were just random places on Wacker Drive and Michigan Ave.

There was a restaurant in Louisville named "Queenies" that had excellent stuffed pizza.
    What's the difference? Nothing!
  • You have to see the desert in the western USA at least once. I live here. Its beautiful during the cooler times from Autumn to Spring.
  • edited October 2008
    There's a lot of good suggestions. The US is an enormous country, with wide ranging diversity that you probably won't see very much in other countries. However, I guess the real questions are:
    1) What are you looking to do?
    2) Why do you want to travel?
    3) What kind of budget do you have to work with?
    Post edited by RedShirt on
  • All I gotta say is...
    (sings)
    New York, New York! It's a hell of a town!
    The sky is brown and the water is brown!
    The cabs don't stop; they don't even slow down!
    New York, New York!
  • edited October 2008
    Honestly, hitting some major cities in any region is cool... even the South as much as some here would berate it. Also, if you have particular hobbies, interests, activities, etc. that you are interested in, we could probably point you in the right direction.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Honestly, hitting some major cities in any region is cool... even the South as much as some here would berate it.
    New Orleans was cool before Katrina. We were there many times before then. We haven't had the will to go back since because it would be too sad. Savannah is okay, I guess, but you can see everything it has to offer in just one day. If I were seriously going to suggest any southern city, it would be Charleston, SC.
  • The sky is brown and the water is brown!
    These are the only two non-true things. The tap water is among the best in the world, and the sky is perfectly clear and blue. Except today it is grey because it is raining.
  • The sky is brown and the water is brown!
    These are the only two non-true things. The tap water is among the best in the world, and the sky is perfectly clear and blue. Except today it is grey because it is raining.
    "Among the best in the world" and "perfectly clear and blue" don't rhyme with "town".
  • "Among the best in the world" and "perfectly clear and blue" don't rhyme with "town".
    How about this then?

Don't go in the East river, or you will probably drown.
  • Don't go in the East river, or you will probably drown.
    New Yorkers can't swim?
    The tap water is among the best in the world
    Ooooh? Any data on how good? For that is very interesting information, seeing as I prefer my water tapped.
  • edited October 2008
    They don't. We had a hell of a time trying to catch a cab last weekend. Gah. One guy slowed down and said "Where are you going" and we said "the Javits Center" and he shook his head and sped up again. Nobody wants to drive out there because it is super out of the way.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • The cabs don't stop; they don't even slow down!
    They don't. We had a hell of a time trying to catch a cab last weekend. Gah. One guy slowed down and said "Where are you going" and we said "the Javits Center" and he shook his head and sped up again. Nobody wants to drive out there because it is super out of the way.
    That rarely happens in DC/MD. Probably because it means more fare cash. Then again, I rarely take a cab when there's a metro.
  • The cabs don't stop; they don't even slow down!
    That rarely happens in DC/MD. Probably because it means more fare cash. Then again, I rarely take a cab when there's a metro.
    When there are more cabs than there are people who want rides, drivers want to take longer routes. The more time they have someone in the car, the more money they make. However, if there are more people who want rides, than there are rides available, drivers want to give lots and lots of shorter trips to maximize the moneys.
  • Nobody has mentioned Boston? Its a walkable city with good public transportation (don't try driving though) and lots of history, museums, and other cool stuff. Also, soon the leaves will be changing color and very few places are as pretty as New England in the fall.
  • edited October 2008
    The Metro will take you anywhere you need to go, but I have never had a second's trouble getting a cab in DC or Baltimore.
    Nobody has mentioned Boston? Its a walkable city with good public transportation (don't try driving though) and lots of history, museums, and other cool stuff. Also, soon the leaves will be changing color and very few places are as pretty as New England in the fall.
    Boston is great. There really is too much going on in the east coast corridor for a traveller to waste any time on the South or the West.