This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Planning to stay in NY from June 23rd to July 23rd

13»

Comments

• The Metro will take you anywhere you need to go
    Except at night. ^_~ NYC Subways are 24/7.
  • The Metro will take you anywhere you need to go
    Except at night. ^_~ NYC Subways are 24/7.
    The Metro stops around 11:00 p.m. on weeknights. You should be home and in bed by then. Nothing good happens after 11:00 p.m. on a weeknight.

The same rule applies for weekends when the Metro stops around 2:00 a.m. You shouldn't be out that late in the first place.
  • The Metro stops around 11:00 p.m. on weeknights. You should be home and in bed by then. Nothing good happens after 11:00 p.m. on a weeknight.
    Most weeknight concerts in the city go past 11:00pm. The bars are all still full at 11:00pm. Times Square is still insanely crowded at 11:00pm. Even the commuter trains go way, way later than that.

Any local mass transit system that isn't 24/7 or doesn't run on holidays is useless: you can't rely on it.
  • The Metro stops around 11:00 p.m. on weeknights. You should be home and in bed by then. Nothing good happens after 11:00 p.m. on a weeknight.
    Most weeknight concerts in the city go past 11:00pm. The bars are all still full at 11:00pm. Times Square is still insanely crowded at 11:00pm. Even thecommuter trainsgo way, way later than that.
    If you're out after 11:00 p.m. on a weeknight and you're not on the way to the ER to treat some dire medical condition, you're a hoodlum.
  • If you're out after 11:00 p.m. on a weeknight and you're not on the way to the ER to treat some dire medical condition, you're a hoodlum.
    Or a New Yorker.
  • If you're out after 11:00 p.m. on a weeknight and you're not on the way to the ER to treat some dire medical condition, you're a hoodlum.
    Or a New Yorker.
    Same thing. ~_^
    Or you just have a life.
  • Or you just have a life.
    Or a New Yorker.
    Same thing ^_~
  • Oooh, look. Burb-boy is getting all snobby now!
    Yay, New York!
  • Do you get to say you're a "New Yorker" if you live in Beacon? Isn't that like saying you live in Chicago when you actually live in Gary, IN?
  • I lived in the city for a long time, although I was born upstate. I only moved out to the suburbs because that's where Rym and Scott were, and the cheap rent is easier on a fresh out of college girl's wallet.
    However, we work in the city and spend a significant amount of our time there. We are like .5 New Yorkers.
  • Do you get to say you're a "New Yorker" if you live in Beacon? Isn't that like saying you live in Chicago when you actually live in Gary, IN?
    I was born in NY, so I count.
    I was born in NY, so I count.
    I was born in Chicago, but never actually lived within the city limits. Do I get to say that I'm from Chicago?
  • I was born in NY, so I count.
    No you don't, Mr. Scared-to-take-the-subway before he moved here. You only lived here until you were 1.
  • I was born in NY, so I count.
    No you don't, Mr. Scared-to-take-the-subway before he moved here. You only lived here until you were 1.
    Scared to take the subway even during the day? I understand some people don't like to at night. I was that way until I had a night job.
  • No you don't, Mr. Scared-to-take-the-subway before he moved here. You only lived here until you were 1.
    When was I scared to take the subway?
  • Tom Lehrer has some advice for you:

• edited October 2008
    When was I scared to take the subway?
    Tokyo Music Festival at the seaport, when you saw Boa. Rym said you were really scared of taking the subway and took yellow cabs everywhere.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Tokyo Music Festival at the seaport, when you saw Boa. Rym said you were really scared of taking the subway and took yellow cabs everywhere.
    Ah, no not really. It was more like I hadn't been to the city in a while. I also didn't know where on the map the seaport was, so I wouldn't have been able to figure out which subway to take. It was easy to get in a cab and say "seaport" then get in another one and say "grand central".
  • Well, either way, claiming "I'm a New Yorker because I was born here" is pretty much negated if you don't know your way around.
  • Okay, some more info
    I'm planning to be in NY from June 23rd to July 23rd, I'll most likely stay with a friend of my aunt, who lives in Manhattan.
    I have a Visa and gave myself a budget of 1500-2000 Euros. I plan to go sightseeing and attend Otakon (btw is there any way I could share rooms with the FRC? I don't know/trust anybody else who would or could stay at a hotel with me).
    I'll turn 20 right in the middle of my trip, so no alcohol.
    I planned to do this trip for a longish time now and currently have the money and time to do so.

Nothing beside Otakon is set in stone right now, if you know anything, which would merit changing the date, please tell me.