This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Moving

edited July 2006 in GeekNights
Ah moving...
Who doesn't have a moving story? My dad was in the US navy but I don't remember too much cause my mum left him when I was 4, but she had to move to the Philipines when I was 6 weeks old which probably sucked but I don't remember. Of course the military will move you for free (so maybe if you need to move you could join the army, move, then quit).

When we returned to Australia we moved around a lot since we were renting and God damn if the fucking landlords wouldn't just decide to sell up on us and force us to move. I am not a tidy person and as a child I a) had a lot of shit b) was lazy and c) get easily distracted. So my task would be to pack my room, which at the age of 8 involved me starting to shove stuff in boxes, getting distracted by something (like dressing my Ken dolls in drag which I did ALL the time), be found my my mother 3 hours later in the middle of a pile of junk playing with something, getting yelled at, crying and sulking, repeat. Then we would arrive at the next house where I would insist that the cat get let out first, get in the way of the movers, release the cat, get in trouble because the cat is in the way, be given the task of unpacking my bedroom, start unpacking, get distracted and start playing with something, open mulitple boxes without emptying the previous ones and end up sleeping in a speeling bag for a few days because I hadn't made my bed.

If/when I have kids, I think I'm going to lock them up somewhere when I have to move.

Comments

• Seriously, Rym and Scott's couch weighs a million fucking pounds.
  • There is no way that their couch weighs more than my sofa bed. That thing took 5 reasonably strong adult men to lift.
  • TheWhaleShark is the equivalent of several reasonably strong adult men ^_~
  • By sofa bed, you mean a convertible couch, right? That's what Rym and Scott have: a couch that turns into a queen-sized bed.

The most fun I had moving in was getting my TV into my apartment. It's a front-heavy 32" Sanyo flatscreen, with no handholds. Weight: 137 pounds. I had to pick it up off the floor and get it onto my entertainment stand.

Fun times.
  • I haven't moved ever since my mum kicked me out.
  • edited July 2006
    U-Haul is a terrible, terrible company.

Me:
    Post edited by kenjura on
  • =D
    Yeah, I've been making much use of my van helping Ken and Tallas move over the course of a few weeks. I'd have to say if possible that's the best way to move, slowly so you can do things deliberately.
  • The best part is when you own an open bed truck. People think nothing of asking if they can borrow your truck when they are moving - even people you barely know.

What gives? Nobody would ever call up someone who owns a Mercedes and say, "Hey, I'm driving to Vegas. Can I borrow you car.?" (Feel free to substitute whatever popular destination is near you for "Vegas.")
  • Hey Colin can I borrow your truck?
  • At the end of my junior year in college, my roommate Katsu (Katsu on the forums) and I rented a U-Haul to bring our stuff to a storage area.

We lost the key to the U-Haul after it was loaded up.

That, my friends, sucks ass. He went to the U-Haul place in the morning, got another key, and we moved as much stuff as we could before we had to return it.

Never, ever, lose the keys to a rental truck.
  • Ok, that couch you guys left with me: it did indeed get thrown away, but it got the ax first. In the literal sense. It was easier to get it out to the trash that way.

By the way, could that thing also be called a "Fucker" for other reasons? There were some... anomalies in or on those cushions, aside from the general sick grayness of it. Such stains of inditerminate origin... I'm surprised we didn't find horrors on a Lovecraftian level inside when it was disassembled. Oh, and that bookshelf you left in the living room was disposed of similarly, but it came apart so easily that I think it was just waiting for an excuse to do so.
  • The return of "The Fucker"

Just in case anyone is still in doubt about the unholy monstrosity that is known as "The Fucker" (episode: 060713), I can vouch for the existence of such beasts. This past Friday I moved a queen sleeper couch and her little sister (a double) down six flights of stairs (three stories) in, yep, you guessed it, the rain--the apartment complex had uncovered stairs attached to the deck. It took me and three strapping lads a good 45 minutes to figure out how to get the SOB out the door and down the wet steps without killing anyone. Luckily, no one was physically hurt . . . as for emotionally, well, that's another story.
  • Strapping young lads you say?

large.jpg
  • Those are the guys! Where did you get our picture‽ ;-)
  • Is that Cannibal Corpse? My god that half-bald guy is so fucking FREAKY. That is, if they are indeed the same band from that video you showed me.
  • edited August 2006
    Is that Cannibal Corpse? My god that half-bald guy is so fucking FREAKY. That is, if they are indeed the same band from that video you showed me.
    That would be Strapping Young Lad. Hence the joke. ^_^

This is Cannibal Corpse:

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Even though Cannibal Corpse has a creepier name, the bald guy still takes the creepy cake.
  • What's so creepy about a Cannibal Corpse? It's just a ghoul.
  • I once lived in a dorm on the fourth floor of a building and then it came time to move. This was back in '99 and my 27 inch television was huge. The mover came and he was a frail looking old Korean man. He lifted that huge TV on his back and walked down the four flights without additional support-no weight belt, no nothing. I was stunned by his incredible feat of strength.
  • I remember early in the 90's when my unit was moving from one post to another in Germany... you think packing a house and moving is a pain? Try moving a whole military maintance unit!

Invariably the lower your rank the more work you have to do.

Then, 9 months later we had to move back...