This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Left4Dead

edited October 2008 in Video Games
As of right now you can pre-order this game on Steam for $45. I've already done so. On November 18th the game will be released. We're half considering taking the day off. However, I'm probably not going to. I remember the day TF2 came out. I'm glad I didn't waste a vacation day on that.

Comments

• Why take a day off work when you can just go to work the next day feeling very, very sleepy? I do hope this games live up to my expectations though, if it does, much fun shall be had!

I'll pre-order tomorrow.
  • I do hope this games live up to my expectations though
    I also have high expectations, but that's because I watched people play it at PAX. Also, even if the game is bad, it's a co-op PC FPS with zombies made by Valve on the source engine. It's really hard to screw that up.
  • Thanks for letting us know, went and pre-ordered it just now. Now I definitely have to take my desktop home over break.
  • It's really hard to screw that up.
    Yeah. It will at least be fun for a while.
  • I do hope this games live up to my expectations though
    I also have high expectations, but that's because I watched people play it at PAX. Also, even if the game is bad, it's a co-op PC FPS with zombies made by Valve on the source engine. It's really hard to screw that up.
    I present Zombie Panic! Source. That is not a good game.... However, Left4Dead looks very promising.
  • edited October 2008
    I present Zombie Panic! Source.
    Also, even if the game is bad, it's a co-op PC FPS with zombies made by Valve on the source engine.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited October 2008
    I cannot wait for this game. Although I will be getting it for the 360 instead of the PC, however, because I will have more people to play with on the 360 and also I won't need to buy a headset.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2008
    I present Zombie Panic! Source.
    Also, even if the game is bad, it's aco-opPC FPS with zombiesmade by Valveon the source engine.
    Nice work mixing up the citations.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Nice work mixing up the citations.
    Don't look at me, blame Scott. It's his buggy forum code.
  • edited October 2008
    *fails*
    Nice work mixing up the citations.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Ah. I see where I messed up... lol
  • Looks like it will be pretty good. I like the "director" idea where the game is monitored and adapted. Nice how valve makes little extensions to the source engine with every new product, still has some shortcomings though. This should at least partially fill the need for an interesting zombie game, and could be really amazing.
  • It seems that Left4Dead is currently on pace to sell better then the Orange Box on PC, 360 and Steam. According to Valve, based on the pre-orders so far.
  • It seems that Left4Dead is currently on pace to sell better then the Orange Box on PC, 360 and Steam. According to Valve, based on the pre-orders so far.
    Zombies and co-op are really big right now. It's a case of the right product at the right time.
  • How much is it going to cost on Steam?
    edited October 2008
    Logged in to Windows, pre-ordered and went back to Ubuntu. Now one more month of waiting (and 3 days) before I can blast apart zombies Valve style.
    How much is it going to cost on Steam?
    $49.99, pre-order is $44,99. Plus $8,xx VAT totals to €41,xx.
    Post edited by ... on
  • How much is it going to cost on Steam?
    I pre-ordered it for $45.
  • I wasn't sure whether to buy this game. I heard of it, but I didn't know what it was about or who made it. Because if this thread I just pre-ordered it.
  • Breaking news! The minimum system requirements for left4Dead have gone down. Good news for people with 128MB video cards, you don't need to upgrade.
    • CPU: 3.0GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
    • RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista
    • Disc Drive: DVD-ROM Drive
    • Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
    • Video: DirectX 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9 compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)
    • Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    You would think that the required specs would be the same for all games on the Source Engine, but apparently not. I checked, and the HL2 minimum requirements are significantly lower than the Left4Dead requirements. You only need DirectX7 to play it. These minimum Left4Dead specs are about equal to the recommended HL2 specs. I think this demonstrates that unlike many game engines of the past, Source is somewhat future proof.
  • You would think that the required specs would be the same for all games on the Source Engine, but apparently not.
    Its due to the features they toss in with each new game, upped texture resolution, HDR, motion blur, etc. Most of which can be turned on or off, but not all. There are certain things that they either can't easily implement, or choose not to. Which is part of the reason I'm not working on a source mod right now.

Anyway, system requirements are pretty reasonable, glad to see it'll run on pretty much any decent computer.
  • I think this demonstrates that unlike many game engines of the past, Source is somewhat future proof.
    This because they specifically designed it to be scalable, upgradable, future proof. But this is great news. Gives my graphics card some breathing space. All/most setting'll be low though.
  • Hopefully they improved the netcode for dedicated servers and hosting your own server. This will be a BIG issue with the co-op.
  • Damn. I could have sworn the CPU requirement was lower than that. I guess It's about time I replaced this piece of crap anyway.
  • Opening Trailer

If you want a better version, download the High Quality version on Steam.
  • Opening Trailer
    Holyfrigginglyawesomepictrailer!

Louis: "We made it! Haha, I can't believe we made it."
    Bill: "Son, we just crossed the street. Let's not throw a party till we are out of the city."
  • Opening Trailer
    Looks awesome, does the actual game have any cut scenes or is it HL-style?
  • Opening Trailer
    Looks awesome, does the actual game have any cut scenes or is it HL-style?
    It's based on the source engine, developed by turtle studies or whatever they're called. It'll be much like Half life 2, with the same "feel" of the engine. There are no cut scenes in the game as in watching a movie, but I assume are "cinemtic moments", such as getting the the helicopter at the end of the hospital scenario. I don't know if there are moments where you character is "stuck" in a certain place with only the camera able to be controlled (not withstanding things like the hunter pouncing on you), but expect a very homey feel if you're experienced with the source engine.
  • turtle studies
    Turtle studies brings up pages of sea turtle studies, you mean Turtle Rock Studios. Never heard of them before, but it seems they started development on Left 4 Dead, with Valve, in 2006. Valve then bought Turtle Rock Studios early January 2008. Yay for Wikipedia. I assume that this opening trailer is before you get in the main menu. If it's before you start one of the scenarios (which I highly doubt), there'll probably be more cinematic pieces. Which is very unlikely, knowing Valve's standpoint on story telling in video games.
  • Turtle studies brings up pages of sea turtle studies, you mean Turtle Rock Studios. Never heard of them before, but it seems they started development on Left 4 Dead, with Valve, in 2006. Valve then bought Turtle Rock Studios early January 2008. Yay forWikipedia. I assume that this opening trailer is before you get in the main menu. If it's before you start one of the scenarios (which I highly doubt), there'll probably be more cinematic pieces. Which is very unlikely, knowing Valve's standpoint on story telling in video games.
    not to mention it's LONG, way too long for a cutscene.
  • Not to mention, who wants them? I want to play my game, not watch it.