This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The big Headphones VS. Earbuds debate!

Comments

• Creative Labs and Turtle Beach are two companies I like. I normally don't game with a headset, but I've tried theirs at stores and conventions and I like how they sound. They're pretty comfortable too. I hear Razer makes good ones as well,but I have no hands-on experience.
  • Clockian said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on gaming headsets?

I'm looking to get one since I really don't like the headset I have for my telecom work.

There are like a zillion of them, and none of them are perfect.
  • Apreche said:

Clockian said:

Does anyone have any recommendations on gaming headsets?

I'm looking to get one since I really don't like the headset I have for my telecom work.

Welcome to everything, but most especially AV equipment.
  • edited August 2014
    Apreche said:

After researching for hours, I have realized the folly of my question.

I've decided that I only desired a good microphone, not a headset since I already have some kick ass headphones.

I'm probably just going to get a Yeti microphone with a good boom stand and pop filter.
    Post edited by Clockian on
  • WHY NOT BOTH?! :)
  • Clockian said:

Apreche said:

I've decided that I only desired a good microphone, not a headset since I already have some kick ass headphones.

I'm probably just going to get a Yeti microphone with a good boom stand and pop filter.
    Unless you're going to be recording music vocals, a Yeti is overkill and overpriced for gaming VOIP. Spend half the price and get a blue snowflake/snowball.
  • Clockian said:

Apreche said:

Unless you're going to be recording music vocals, a Yeti is overkill and overpriced for gaming VOIP. Spend half the price and get a blue snowflake/snowball.
    Thanks for that. Snowball is much better for me at the moment.
  • Clockian said:

Apreche said:

I have the Snowflake is terrible for gaming, it picks up literally everything that happens in the entire room as well as every key stroke regardless of how I fiddle with Teamspeak, Hangouts or Skype.

However Victor knows way more than me about microphones so he can correct me.

For gaming specifically I use studio headphones but struggle with a silly logitech microphone.

The ones that I would recommend that are halfway good headphone but have a great microphone for a gaming environment -
    1. Beyerdynamic MMX 300
    2. AudioTechnica ADG1 or AG1
    3. Sennheiser G4ME One or Zero
  • sK0pe said:

I have the Snowflake is terrible for gaming, it picks up literally everything that happens in the entire room as well as every key stroke regardless of how I fiddle with Teamspeak, Hangouts or Skype.

However Victor knows way more than me about microphones so he can correct me.
    Nope, you're right. The snowflake has surprisingly large coverage for a cardioid mic. I typically use multiplayer with Push to talk, so it's never affected me. You can adjust the input volume of the mic under its settings in the Recording Devices tab in your sound settings.
  • Mumble, however, is pretty good for that, weirdly enough. Even my big MXL won't send unless I'm actually talking.
  • Churba said:

Mumble, however, is pretty good for that, weirdly enough. Even my big MXL won't send unless I'm actually talking.

I use mumble almost daily to play Payday 2 and l4d2. Not only does it support push to talk but having the mic activated when your mic input is above a certain level is very useful. Also the opus codec is nice for human speech so thats a plus.
  • These are awesome headphones.

• Wait a minute... Don't we know the people making those? I think I do, at least. Damn it, who was it...
  • I don't get it, are other people supposed to hear what you're hearing? Because that sorta defeats the point of headphones.
  • It's designed to let you listen alone when you want to and to be able to share what you're listening to when you want to.
  • That might be kinda neat.
  • Wait a minute... Don't we know the people making those? I think I do, at least. Damn it, who was it...

Axent Wear
  • No, I meant personally. I think I know someone who is either working for them or who knows someone working for them.
  • No, I meant personally. I think I know someone who is either working for them or who knows someone working for them.

Looking through the website's FAQ, I tracked down their IndieGogo page.

Victoria Hu
    Wenqing Yan
    Nicole Kim
    Colin Ho

Do any of those names ring a bell?
  • Hm... the only one that did was Victoria Hu, but facebook isn't turning up anything. Oh well, I'm probably just crazy.
  • Those headphones are a cool idea but to me they sorta only work if you're a cyberpunk Japanese person but otherwise just kinda make you look like a huge weeaboo.
  • Sennheiser HD598s. These are going to take getting used to.
  • Omnutia said:

Sennheiser HD598s. These are going to take getting used to.

Are they uncomfortable or is it the audio?
    I've worn other 500 and 600 series headphones (not for long periods) and they seemed to feel okay.
  • edited December 2014
    These are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had by a mile. It's coincidence but going from super isolating, very slight bass Etymotics to these with their low isolation and average bass makes a lot of stuff sound weird.

They also make most of my music really stand out as being low bit-rate when I pair them with my Xonar DX.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Omnutia said:

These are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had by a mile. It's coincidence but going from super isolating, very slight bass Etymotics to these with their low isolation and average bass makes a lot of stuff sound weird.

They also make most of my music really stand out as being low bit-rate when I pair them with my Xonar DX.

Now you have a similar setup to me lol.

I use Beyerdynamic dt 880 premium (semi open) as my main headphones, powered via a Xonar Essence STX card.

My portable phones are Etymotic ER-4B.
  • I'd have maybe spent more of your money on the headphones as opposed to the soundcard. I got my DX second hand at ~$60 and my HD598s for $100 this black Friday on Amazon.

I got burned real bad by Etymotic's HF2 headphone cables which have completely shredded after six months.
  • Omnutia said:

I'd have maybe spent more of your money on the headphones as opposed to the soundcard. I got my DX second hand at ~$60 and my HD598s for $100 this black Friday on Amazon.

I got burned real bad by Etymotic's HF2 headphone cables which have completely shredded after six months.

I've had my setup for around 4 years now.
    The DT880's were top tier at the time and honestly don't sound bad.
  • So I've used the Antlion Modmic 4 for the past month or so and have to say it's the best microphone solution if you don't want to invest in a desktop microphone or if the desktop microphone doesn't cut the mustard for gaming purposes.

The clarity of the microphone is great, an accurate comparison can be heard here (they are comparisons between common highly touted headsets and generally found desktop microphones).

How it works -
    You apply a small knob to a flat or grill surface of your headphones (either left or right or both if you really want).
    The microphone itself is is incredibly flexible while still being sturdy. Bend it so that the microphone sits about 3cm away from where your oral commissure starts (where your top lip and right lip meet). Connect the microphone cable to the headphone cable with the 4 (or 5) connectors and connect to your analog out. If you want to keep it attached for a long time you can sleeve the 2 cables together (sleeving is something you will have to do separately and no parts are included.

The microphone attaches to the knob on your headphones with a strong magnet, it can't be shaken off. There is an in line mute and you the microphone can be rotated 90 or 180 degrees either clockwise or anticlockwise.

I would recommend this setup particularly if you have great sounding headphones but don't want to buy a gaming headset as well.
  • Which ever you use, plug it into one of these and change your life.. a bit

http://thesubpac.com/
  • Those things have always seemed ridiculous to me.